Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#51 2019-08-19 21:55:13

den3107

Re: EE became smoother

LukeM wrote:

As for native EEU, we'll probably be packaging it as a PWA

May I ask why you're planning on using a PWA, instead of something like Electron?
I do believe Electron is "more native" than a PWA, since it essentially has all system calls available. If you really wanted to you could even make EEU playable through Apple's touchbar and any new gimmicky feature that gets released.
Main downside would be the RAM usage, I guess, since it just runs your web app in Chromium... It'd probably move towards the 0.5-1GB range when playing EEU (more around 0.3-0.5 during beta phases).

#52 2019-08-19 22:42:33, last edited by LukeM (2019-08-19 22:45:24)

LukeM
Website

den3107 wrote:
LukeM wrote:

May I ask why you're planning on using a PWA, instead of something like Electron?
I do believe Electron is "more native" than a PWA, since it essentially has all system calls available. If you really wanted to you could even make EEU playable through Apple's touchbar and any new gimmicky feature that gets released.
Main downside would be the RAM usage, I guess, since it just runs your web app in Chromium... It'd probably move towards the 0.5-1GB range when playing EEU (more around 0.3-0.5 during beta phases).

Currently we're not completely certain about what we're going to be using as we're focusing on getting the core functionality done before we start working on things like this. I just mentioned a PWA instead of an Electron app because currently that seems like the slightly more likely of the two, although there isn't much in it.

With the PWA vs Electron thing, generally things seem to be moving away from things like Electron and towards PWAs, especially for games like EEU that don't really need access to things like unrestricted file access etc, and even this is becoming less of a problem as more of these things become supported natively by PWAs. PWAs are just generally a bit nicer to work with and perform a bit better.

That said, I'd guess that if we do go with PWAs we might have a version that uses something like Electron for people whose browsers / OSes don't support PWAs yet, although again it's pretty early so this is massively subject to change.

#53 2019-08-20 14:13:52

daneeko

LukeM wrote:
den3107 wrote:
LukeM wrote:

Currently we're not completely certain about what we're going to be using as we're focusing on getting the core functionality done before we start working on things like this. I just mentioned a PWA instead of an Electron app because currently that seems like the slightly more likely of the two, although there isn't much in it.

With the PWA vs Electron thing, generally things seem to be moving away from things like Electron and towards PWAs, especially for games like EEU that don't really need access to things like unrestricted file access etc, and even this is becoming less of a problem as more of these things become supported natively by PWAs. PWAs are just generally a bit nicer to work with and perform a bit better.

That said, I'd guess that if we do go with PWAs we might have a version that uses something like Electron for people whose browsers / OSes don't support PWAs yet, although again it's pretty early so this is massively subject to change.

in short: pwa > electron, but that isnt final

UzI5nBc.png

daneeko1566306832759792

Board footer