Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-07 10:03:10, last edited by 272 (2019-05-07 10:14:45)

[EEU] Block Properties (AKA: Moving Parts)

I have journeyed even farther into my quest of comparing Everybody Edits with Super Mario Maker. I was playing Super Mario Maker a little while ago, and was doing some kaizo tricks one after another. By the end of the level, I was feeling pretty badass, and then wondered, "How come Everybody Edits levels don't have the same feeling?"

I thought for a bit and realized that literally everything else I previously mentioned does not matter. After all, even Super Mario Bros. 1 is more fun than playing Everybody Edits. I realized that the difference between the two games is SMM has many different moving parts. In SMM, even in Mario 1 where you can't pick things up to do crazy tricks, there are still moving parts that you have to time and jump. It actually takes skill to land these jumps. In EE everything is static. There is hardly any room left for creativity because there is just quite simply not very much you can do with static blocks and a few gravity changes.

Block Properties/Moving Parts

Implementing block properties would change all of that. Imagine being able to set a few blocks so that they had gravity when the player touched them, or blocks that could be pushed, broken, etc. Imagine being able to set up moving platforms in EE that the players have to stay on top of.

"You stupid number, if block properties were added, players could work together to find out cheese solutions to the levels without going the intended route."

Finding alternate ways to beat levels is literally half of the fun in super mario maker, and since when did the idea of players working together to beat a level sound like a bad thing? Some levels may be easier or harder to beat on your own. However, with EE Offline being introduced, you could make levels specifically meant for single player. If you really wanted to, perhaps you can make a world setting that says that all the player's actions are separate, and don't interact with each other.

Remember how amazing switches are? Imagine the creativity if you could move blocks around when a switch is pressed. The creativity with switches that already existed would multiply by 10.

I know that EEU is hoping to release somewhat soon, but in my opinion, I think it would be well worth the wait if we could get some moving parts in EE. I don't care what form it takes, but the ability to move things around in a level would allow for so much more than, "Oh, it's one of these jumps again."

"Bots can already do all of these things."

First of all, bots require an account to be online on the world at all times. This means that unless the owner of the level is active, no one can actually play the level. Bots aren't necessarily able to be used by young people. Whether that be because they don't understand how to use them, or because they can't download things without parents permission, etc. Plus, these features could be a lot easier to access if they were in the base game.

The other thing about bots, is that they're not always the most accurate, and can be rather slow. If it was implemented in the base game well enough, it could be a lot more convenient, and user friendly.

"If this does what bots can do but does it better, wouldn't that kill the bot creators?

No, it wouldn't. Bots would still have a lot more functionality. I am simply suggesting ways to add moving parts, and more ways for the players to interact with levels. Bots still take this a step farther by being able to place and remove blocks, use keys, etc. In fact, if block properties was how this was implemented, bots could probably be given even more functionality by having the ability to change the properties of blocks in the world.

Despite what people say, Different55 is the best mod.

Wooted by: (4)

#2 2019-05-07 11:22:39

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

Re: [EEU] Block Properties (AKA: Moving Parts)

I don't like the comparisons between Mario Maker and Everybody Edits but you're right with this and I have been thinking about "moving blocks" for some time now, it would add a lot of potential and it would improve the platforming aspect of the game. Hopefully devs make it possible for EEU.

gLjTZE1.png

Wooted by:

#3 2019-05-07 13:51:48

Koya
Fabulous Member

I'd like more control over timer doors, how long it is oppen, how long it is closed, and offset time - that would give you more movement kinda and also still feel like EE, because EE is not a mario competator (ignoring the stolen mario graphics)

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#4 2019-05-07 14:41:44

peace

swtitches and globals switches can do most but yeah this is a nic eusggetsion (diddnt read all) but moving blocks owudl be nice

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#5 2019-05-07 15:10:01

Raphe9000

ZeldaXD wrote:

I don't like the comparisons between Mario Maker and Everybody Edits but you're right with this and I have been thinking about "moving blocks" for some time now, it would add a lot of potential and it would improve the platforming aspect of the game. Hopefully devs make it possible for EEU.

In all honesty, they are extremely alike. I once modded Mario Maker to contain Everybody Edits assets, and the similarities are striking. Mario Maker too is a natural evolution of what Everybody Edits has become, be it at the sacrifice (or really lack of inclusion) of some of EE's core values. Adding Mario Maker stuff to an extreme level would just make this game a follower of ideas instead of and establisher of one, but it is unwise to look at an innovation or advancement and choose not to use it solely because of its source. Moving blocks have no place in the current game, but they would probably fit well into EEU. At the end of the day too, Mario Maker succeeded. Sure, it had the Mario brand attached to it, but it did things right that EE doesn't. Still, I think EE would benefit more with integrating some creation tools and quality of life features than trying to emulate the platforming styles of Mario games.

Koya wrote:

I'd like more control over timer doors, how long it is oppen, how long it is closed, and offset time - that would give you more movement kinda and also still feel like EE, because EE is not a mario competator (ignoring the stolen mario graphics)

I have two things on this:
1. I think more customization for existing mechanics is the best way to go.
2. Even though I've always known EE kinda just took random things and ran with them (mostly from Mario and Facebook), it still feels strangely sobering when I see them in their native environments.

Wooted by:

#6 2019-05-07 16:22:09

Latif

I think it would be cool if we can move any block we want by drawing a path:
Dx9IERl.gif
The block will move continuously on the given path, and the speed should be customizable.

Imagine the possibilities.

#7 2019-05-07 16:38:12

Gosha

Koya wrote:

I'd like more control over timer doors, how long it is oppen, how long it is closed, and offset time

I had plans for that, i tested everything and sync timed doors with the server, made proper animations, didn't have a chance to make collision code, because as far as i remember i had to focus only on work on lobby overhaul. Then after months i forgot about it :c
d489473.png

#8 2019-05-07 16:47:16

peace

Latif wrote:

I think it would be cool if we can move any block we want by drawing a path:
https://i.imgur.com/Dx9IERl.gif
The block will move continuously on the given path, and the speed should be customizable.

Imagine the possibilities.

this coudl wokr eith every block and is very neat to have no more afk players ofor global snakes (which are sometimes ugly)

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

peace1557244036748998

Board footer