Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-19 11:48:18

bunglybongle

should every game have an "easy" mode?

i bought bloodborne and i love it and i will soon buy dark souls 3
when i was doing some bloodborne stuff i found a video about games having easy mode titled "No game NEEDS an easy mode"
i think no, games like dark souls, bloodborne and sekiro are designed with difficulty in mind

#2 2019-04-19 12:13:02

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

Re: should every game have an "easy" mode?

If you choose easy mode you cheat not only the game, but yourself. You don't grow, you don't improve, you take a shortcut and gain nothing. You experience a hollow victory. Nothing will be risked and nothing will be gained.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

Wooted by: (4)

#3 2019-04-19 13:55:19

bunglybongle

NorwegianboyEE wrote:

If you choose easy mode you cheat not only the game, but yourself. You don't grow, you don't improve, you take a shortcut and gain nothing. You experience a hollow victory. Nothing will be risked and nothing will be gained.

yes this is good. though the first time i played doom 2016 i put it on the east difficulty whatever it's called to get a feel, and when i felt like i had a grasp on the game i racked it up to the ultra-violence setting.

#4 2019-04-19 14:33:08

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Developers have an intended playing experience in mind when creating their games. If they make the game hard, they expect you to have a hard time beating it. You may disagree on what makes a game fun, but at the end of the day it is their game and they choose how it's supposed to be played or what options you have access to change that with.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Wooted by:

#5 2019-04-19 14:43:27

peace

i thnik an easy mode sint bad t have maby wiht olowere rewards but still i makes everyone being able to have fun an dbeta the game

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#6 2019-04-19 16:03:05, last edited by Luka504 (2019-04-19 16:05:39)

Luka504

NorwegianboyEE wrote:

Really? I've had plenty of experiences where I've been struggling with a game, switched it to easy mode, beat it, and did a second run on normal and/or hard mode and performed amazingly well.

Let's take papers please. That game took me a long time to get used to playing. The issue was obvious - if I didn't make enough money by the end of the day, my family would die of hunger and the cold or I'd be arrested. So, I tried to rush passport checking to get as much money as possible, which lead to me getting things wrong a lot. I was penalized a lot, I earned little to no money, and was on the verge of just quitting and deleting the game for good.

Then, I went to the settings and found an option that turned on easy mode, which gave me (I think) guaranteed 40$ at the end of each day regardless of how I performed.

This was a life saver, and it made the game way more enjoyable to play, because money wasn't as big of a worry as it used to be. Sure, I still had to avoid getting penalized too much, but I wasn't in as big of a rush to get things done as I was on Normal difficulty. I took my time, and the mistakes started going away. I got better at analysing documents, I started remembering city names by heart, and I'd grown to use my eyes instead of relying on the scan feature.

By the end of the game, I was really good at papers please. And you're going to claim that that was a hollow victory? That I didn't grow or improve? ****!

All games should have an easy setting, regardless of how much you believe in the phrase "Git gud". This isn't just about people being unskilled at the game, but about disabled people as well. Are they expected to "git gud" too?

Should we shun certain groups of people out of a medium they enjoy just because of the belief that they'd be 'cheating' if they played the game in a way that wasn't the 'intended' way to play?

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

#7 2019-04-19 16:30:00

Yo, wannabe game designer here.

In my opinion, it is true that no game absolutely NEEDS an easy mode. However, there are benefits of having one. If your game is designed to be hard, and expert gamers is what you have in mind, you may find it more difficult to expand your fanbase to more casual players. Casual players of course, don't necessarily always stay casual, as they may improve at the game. Some people(ex: people with lives), may quite simply not have enough time to perfectly master each game mechanic, but still want to be able to enjoy the game's content. The solution is to include an "easy mode" for those people.

If your game is aimed more toward casual players however, then it may make less sense to include an easier mode, but instead include a harder mode for the expert players, or casual players who want to test their skill.

TDLR; It depends on the game.

Despite what people say, Different55 is the best mod.

Wooted by:

#8 2019-04-19 16:45:45

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

Luka504 wrote:

(Reaction)

You just got meme'd.
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/you-chea … t-yourself

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#9 2019-04-19 18:29:18

Luka504

Ok...? You got me, I guess.

I still stand by my statements though, games should have easy modes.

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

#10 2019-04-19 21:18:12

skullz17

I think it depends on how the easy mode is implemented, and whether it's worth implementing. For example, in dark souls, an easy mode doesn't really make sense thematically. The bosses are beings that are far more powerful than a mere undead, and despite this, the chosen undead is able to defeat them through determination and skill. It highlights the advantage of being undead, and perhaps why the prophecy states "if thou art undead, thou art chosen" - no matter how many times you mess up, you can learn from your mistakes and come back again. It is not a load function, your character is actually resurrected from death. So trial and error is a big theme in this game, as well as persistence. The other thing is that an undead will go 'hollow' if they lose the will to go on living, meaning they basically turn into a mindless zombie. The difficulty of the game complements this as you may feel like giving up at many points in the game. Part of the enjoyment in this game comes from the your persistence finally paying off. For these reasons, I don't think an easy mode would suit the game and probably wouldn't be worth implementing. Less skilled or disabled players may still find the easy mode challenging, but the problem is that lazy implementations may not work out that well (e.g. all enemies deal x% less damage), and a proper implementation wouldn't be worth the time spent designing it.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#11 2019-04-20 01:55:14

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Moved to Debates.

Ragequitting isn’t fun. If it’s not fun, it’s not worth playing. Some people don’t have the time or energy to git gud.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:
Tomahawk1555721714746542

Board footer