Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#101 2019-03-14 01:07:54

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Re: Stop people from closing topics for no good reason.

Different55 wrote:

the problem is you guys are choosing to harass the kid instead of using the 100% functional methods we already have to deal with less than perfect topics. the solution exists. I know it's not as fun as tormenting him but if you're actually bothered by his topics, you know what to do. this "problem" is partially your own creation.

the kid never learns and using functional methods wont teach him because afaik creating trash threads doesnt give you warning points if theyre just going to be moved/merged?

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#102 2019-03-14 01:31:26

Different55
Forum Admin

It's not your job to teach him and saying crap like "if he doesn't vent his stupidity once per day it'll hit critical mass and he'll collapse into a black hole" isn't the proper method of "education." I'm not going to allow it no matter how much he gets under your skin.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by: (3)

#103 2019-03-14 11:38:34

2b55b5g
Formerly 2B55B5G TNG

End the drama. Let Anatoly win, I’m so **** tired about this stupid drama.

she/her

also known as DevilCharlotte

search 2bisniekitastan if you wanna find my worlds on ArchivEE

pfp: https://picrew.me/image_maker/1272810

Wooted by:

#104 2019-03-14 11:44:36

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

Taskmanagers meme picture of Diff holding up Anatoly’s topics like they are epic works of artistic brilliance while actually funny and clever topics drown besides him sums up this drama the best in my opinion.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#105 2019-03-14 12:42:58

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

NorwegianboyEE wrote:

Taskmanagers meme picture of Diff holding up Anatoly’s topics like they are epic works of artistic brilliance while actually funny and clever topics drown besides him sums up this drama the best in my opinion.

I don't see how Anatoly's topics have any relation to other's topics. Just because he makes topics doesn't mean others can't...

I personally find it funny how people complain that Anatoly's topics are pointless and lack content and then complain when he locks them because it cuts off discussion. Like, what discussion is he actually preventing if you think there was no discussion to his topics in the first place? One could argue that there is a point to his topics, it's just not a point anyone cares about.

It doesn't take much intelligence at this point to conclude that the best way to deal with Anatoly is to genuinely ignore him. He likes attention. It doesn't matter if it's positive attention, eg. defending him, or negative attention like constant criticism and the endless topics being created about him. As long as you are paying him any degree of attention he is satisfied. Every time you harass him you are just feeding that. So if you genuinely want him to stop making pointless threads then literally just stop giving him attention. Stop replying to his threads. Stop making him out to be such a big deal. Stop presenting him as an antagonist of the forums. Because then he'll get bored. He'll stop being satisfied with what he posts. If this happens, and the only time people pay him any significant degree of attention is when he posts something genuine, then he's either going to quit the forums out of boredom or only post things that matter. Diff's solution of just reporting the posts and have them merged with the general chat thread would be more effective than you'd think. Warning points don't matter to Anatoly. If anything, he'd like warning points as they're another form of attention. But merging his posts with a bunch of things that don't matter sends the message to him that no one cares and it drastically reduces the amount of attention he'd get for his posts.

In regards to the genuine issue of people locking their threads when healthy discussion is taking place: Instead of removing the lock feature and locking threads upon request, how about staff unlocking threads upon request? I'm sure if you'd ask diff to unlock a thread that genuinely mattered then he'd happily oblige, but an official acknowledgement of "hey, you can ask for that" would be nice. I've seen a few topics that I've genuinely thought "oh, I had something to say about that" when it was locked by the OP, but I can't think of a single thread where this has been the case and the discussion was anything more than trivial.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Wooted by: (2)

#106 2019-03-14 12:54:30

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Different55 wrote:

saying crap like "if he doesn't vent his stupidity once per day it'll hit critical mass and he'll collapse into a black hole" isn't the proper method of "education."

Hey I wasn't the one to say that
Although it was pretty funny https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/c/c0/069_LOL
If nobody's going to teach him then its an endless cycle of posting threads and having them merged/spammed

i8SwC8p.png

#107 2019-03-14 13:45:57

LukeM
Website

mutantdevle wrote:

In regards to the genuine issue of people locking their threads when healthy discussion is taking place: Instead of removing the lock feature and locking threads upon request, how about staff unlocking threads upon request? I'm sure if you'd ask diff to unlock a thread that genuinely mattered then he'd happily oblige, but an official acknowledgement of "hey, you can ask for that" would be nice. I've seen a few topics that I've genuinely thought "oh, I had something to say about that" when it was locked by the OP, but I can't think of a single thread where this has been the case and the discussion was anything more than trivial.

I guess that would be a solution, but that would still probably be too long of a process for people (including me in most cases) to bother to do it. Also, in some sub-forums there are more topics locked for bad reasons than good reasons, so this would probably be way more work for the forum staff, especially considering the fact that most topics that were locked for good reasons were locked by the staff anyway //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

As for the trivial discussion bit, personally there are three main reasons for wanting a topic to be unlocked, the first is when someone answers with 'yes' or 'no' or whatever to a question and the OP locks it before I've had a chance to reply with a more in-depth answer, with in most cases important information that shouldn't be left out.
The second is in things like Game Suggestions, where a lot of the time I'm interested in seeing where the discussion goes, and other peoples opinions on a suggestion, then the topic owner for some reason locks the topic, ending all discussion //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue.
The third is when more information comes up later (for example with Bug Reports), or in our investigations when we have additional questions which would help us find the bug faster.

Wooted by: (2)

#108 2019-03-14 13:50:08

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

LukeM wrote:

As for the trivial discussion bit, personally there are three main reasons for wanting a topic to be unlocked, the first is when someone answers with 'yes' or 'no' or whatever to a question and the OP locks it before I've had a chance to reply with a more in-depth answer, with in most cases important information that shouldn't be left out.
The second is in things like Game Suggestions, where a lot of the time I'm interested in seeing where the discussion goes, and other peoples opinions on a suggestion, then the topic owner for some reason locks the topic, ending all discussion .
The third is when more information comes up later (for example with Bug Reports), or in our investigations when we have additional questions which would help us find the bug faster.

I do agree that it would be worth it to remove the lock button from the bug reports and the questions & answers subforums. Game suggestions, however, I think should still only be unlocked upon request.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#109 2019-03-14 15:23:04

mikelolsuperman
Website

Long quote by Mutantdevle

The joke of the meme is that there are good posts and there are posts like Anatoly's '2019 backwards is eros' or 'what is this?' when it's just a bathroom. These posts don't interest most people, they say that they don't need/want that on the forums, anatoly closes the topic  and this topic came from there. Diff is saying that the posts Anatoly make are also good but nobody cares about the eros thing or some ghost he saw. It's not about because Anatoly can post doesn't mean others can't it's about that Diff is protecting these kinds  of posts (mainly by Anatoly, which is why the drama started) and not the good ones by other people. I'm not saying all of Anatoly's posts are bad, but these posts I gave as an example with the eros thing or the ghost are bad.

Blue is my favourite color
BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

I also like lasagna, but not when it's blue

#110 2019-03-14 15:39:48

peace

how about you can still post in the alocke dtopic btu it wont coutn as a post nor will it been sene until tis opened you write your post request diff to open it it get sopned and the posts in queue gets posted and ofc fourum staff can see queue posts so they can know if they open atopic it wont instantly get fille dup with mess

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#111 2019-03-14 15:41:13

LukeM
Website

peace wrote:

how about you can still post in the alocke dtopic btu it wont coutn as a post nor will it been sene until tis opened you write your post request diff to open it it get sopned and the posts in queue gets posted and ofc fourum staff can see queue posts so they can know if they open atopic it wont instantly get fille dup with mess

That sounds like it would be way more effort for the forum staff than just occasionally manually approving a lock XD

Wooted by:

#112 2019-03-14 16:16:33

Different55
Forum Admin

I'm not defending the threads, I'm saying you don't get to flame people because they made a bad thread or even 500 bad threads. We have ways of dealing with low quality posts, trust me you guys have put out *plenty* of them in the past, but they all break down when you choose to flame him instead of letting me quietly tidy them up and slide them under the carpet with the other 50K that are already under there.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by: (5)

#113 2019-03-14 16:33:26

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

Different55 wrote:

I'm saying you don't get to flame people because they made a bad thread or even 500 bad threads. We have ways of dealing with low quality posts, trust me you guys have put out *plenty* of them in the past

Yes, but there are good "bad" threads and bad "bad" threads.
Anatoly's threads are always the latter. )

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#114 2019-03-14 16:45:10

mikelolsuperman
Website

Different55 wrote:

I'm not defending the threads, I'm saying you don't get to flame people because they made a bad thread or even 500 bad threads. We have ways of dealing with low quality posts, trust me you guys have put out *plenty* of them in the past, but they all break down when you choose to flame him instead of letting me quietly tidy them up and slide them under the carpet with the other 50K that are already under there.

I know I, and probably everyone, made bad posts. But Anatoly has like 5000 posts and is a member for over 3 years now, he should probably know what posts are and are not good or bad right? And not like 'I don't like this suggestion' bad but 'What is this about' or 'This isn't relevant for anything'. It's like something you put in off topic chat thread. I made some really bad stuff at first but they got moved to the off-topic chat thread. All of Anatoly's bad posts in the past few months have been closed by him after a week and he didn't get them moved or removed or whatever.

Blue is my favourite color
BhC68b8.png

Signature made by Nebula

I also like lasagna, but not when it's blue

#115 2019-03-14 17:10:32, last edited by Tomahawk (2019-03-14 17:15:33)

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

mutantdevle wrote:

how about staff unlocking threads upon request?

I'm happy to do that if it's justified by the person asking - for instance if an OP shuts down a constructive discussion without good reason, or a thread needs to be updated for whatever reason.

The exception would be EE drama topics. They can stay closed.

EDIT: The thread unlock would also have to be requested by a user actually intending to post in that thread. Requesting on behalf of others doesn't make sense.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#116 2019-03-14 17:24:07

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Tomahawk wrote:
mutantdevle wrote:

how about staff unlocking threads upon request?

I'm happy to do that if it's justified by the person asking - for instance if an OP shuts down a constructive discussion without good reason, or a thread needs to be updated for whatever reason.

The exception would be EE drama topics. They can stay closed.

EDIT: The thread unlock would also have to be requested by a user actually intending to post in that thread. Requesting on behalf of others doesn't make sense.

Or the user that intended to continue discussion just opens a new thread

i8SwC8p.png

#117 2019-03-14 17:59:27

LukeM
Website

Tomahawk wrote:

What about if its a topic that we know that the people who might be posting in it either won't be bothered to, or won't know how to request it to be unlocked, for example a bug report?

Wooted by:

#118 2019-03-15 00:00:48

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

^ If they're not bothered then I'm not either.

A notif about requesting unlocks could be put somewhere; maybe the rules page.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#119 2019-03-15 01:20:22

LukeM
Website

Is there ever really a reason to close a Bug Report though? Making people go through a long process (which new forum users won't know about, because who reads the rules in that depth //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue) just feels like it would be blocking out potentially important information.

#120 2019-03-19 14:19:09

Anatoly

#121 2019-03-19 14:43:48

Snowester

Anatoly wrote:

How is that on topic with the discussion? Also, it doesn't work shifting the hate on you to anyone else.

Wooted by:

#122 2019-03-19 15:47:08

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Growler wrote:
Anatoly wrote:

How is that on topic with the discussion? Also, it doesn't work shifting the hate on you to anyone else.

Just let him live in his own bubble made of delusions
Nobody's going to listen to him anyway

i8SwC8p.png

#123 2019-03-19 15:59:02

2b55b5g
Formerly 2B55B5G TNG

Oh god why do you have to bring up this drama again I already forgot it

she/her

also known as DevilCharlotte

search 2bisniekitastan if you wanna find my worlds on ArchivEE

pfp: https://picrew.me/image_maker/1272810

#124 2019-03-19 16:00:07

Luka504

Stop bully me!!!

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

Luka5041553007607742954

Board footer