Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-01 10:22:57

Mylo
Master Developer

Add an official client download button to homepage

Flash doesn't load anymore in modern browsers, and I'd like to play anyways as would others. Please build somehow a wrapper for macOS and Windows around the flash file and display the option to download prominently.

#2 2019-02-01 11:20:49

LukeM
Website

Re: Add an official client download button to homepage

Z1aw2Qp.png
At the bottom of the page

Although flash player is still working in every browser I've used... What are you using?

Wooted by:

#3 2019-02-01 12:41:11

peace

hey lukem i just gto an idea based off this atleast i got th eidea  just in mind after reaidng this topic so i thougth i woul dpost it here whhat about we can edit the client ourselfes easily on the EE site and make usefull chnages in the code for ourselfes (and possibly others if we share it through an code (just like ee worlds have PW's (or BW/OW if open/beta world))) the clien can be run on EE site jjust as fine you could if you are a good coder make usefull chnages like make your own digbot wihtout it being a bot that needs to be connected (if thats even possible :o)

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#4 2019-02-01 14:13:28

Mylo
Master Developer

LukeM wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/Z1aw2Qp.png
At the bottom of the page

Although flash player is still working in every browser I've used... What are you using?

This resolves one part of my suggestion. I suggest to add a version for macOS to and place the button at a more prominent location. Think about it: If a player downloads the game, the chance rises he will come back again when the icon is seen at his desktop. You've got a lot of space when the flash client won't load, why not use that location to advertise the wrapped client? Instead right now a big black box is shown, which makes it look like the game itself is broken. You're losing new players there.

I'm using Firefox, where the black box is shown. Safari won't start it either. In Chrome I have to accept first - inexperienced users might think the game is dangerous. As I heard the EE team contains webdevelopers and designers, why does nobody care about such fundamental issues? EE needs every single player from every single ecosystem right now, look at the numbers.

Wooted by: (2)

#5 2019-02-01 14:39:46, last edited by LukeM (2019-02-01 14:43:48)

LukeM
Website

Mylo wrote:

I suggest to add a version for macOS to and place the button at a more prominent location. Think about it: If a player downloads the game, the chance rises he will come back again when the icon is seen at his desktop. You've got a lot of space when the flash client won't load, why not use that location to advertise the wrapped client? Instead right now a big black box is shown, which makes it look like the game itself is broken. You're losing new players there.

The problem is that you still need a copy of Flash Player to play the game offline, so prioritising the downloadable client doesn't really help. We still think the online version is the easiest to access, so that is what we put front and center.

I will suggest to the rest of the staff having an "install flash player" message for if the game fails to load though for the browsers that no longer have that built in.

Mylo wrote:

I'm using Firefox, where the black box is shown. Safari won't start it either. In Chrome I have to accept first - inexperienced users might think the game is dangerous. As I heard the EE team contains webdevelopers and designers, why does nobody care about such fundamental issues? EE needs every single player from every single ecosystem right now, look at the numbers.

We do, we are currently in the process of making the move away from Flash and to HTML5, which will prevent the problems at their root rather than just making them a bit easier to avoid. We think this should hopefully make the game much more accessible and just a better experience in general.

#6 2019-02-01 14:56:46

peace

LukeM wrote:
Mylo wrote:

I suggest to add a version for macOS to and place the button at a more prominent location. Think about it: If a player downloads the game, the chance rises he will come back again when the icon is seen at his desktop. You've got a lot of space when the flash client won't load, why not use that location to advertise the wrapped client? Instead right now a big black box is shown, which makes it look like the game itself is broken. You're losing new players there.

The problem is that you still need a copy of Flash Player to play the game offline, so prioritising the downloadable client doesn't really help. We still think the online version is the easiest to access, so that is what we put front and center.

I will suggest to the rest of the staff having an "install flash player" message for if the game fails to load though for the browsers that no longer have that built in.

Mylo wrote:

We do, we are currently in the process of making the move away from Flash and to HTML5, which will prevent the problems at their root rather than just making them a bit easier to avoid. We think this should hopefully make the game much more accessible and just a better experience in general.

maby in EEU you shoul ld do something basout if the game fials to load inmediatly as right now it shwos a black screen which fo rmost users is a big nope im not playing this feeling while you mgith still have the required flash when flash is a probelm it now mostly gives a white screen wiht a puzzle piece in the game screen

peace.png

#7 2019-02-01 15:00:49, last edited by LukeM (2019-02-01 15:02:31)

LukeM
Website

peace wrote:

maby in EEU you shoul ld do something basout if the game fials to load inmediatly as right now it shwos a black screen which fo rmost users is a big nope im not playing this feeling while you mgith still have the required flash when flash is a probelm it now mostly gives a white screen wiht a puzzle piece in the game screen

In EEU we'll be using HTML5, which has been supported by all browsers for almost 10 years now, so theres pretty much no chance of it not being able to load XD

Wooted by:

#8 2019-02-01 15:07:14

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

LukeM wrote:

why not tell players to try using flash projector with a download link to adobe website and the swf link of the game provided and a short instruction
that makes one download instead of two, plus, playing the game via swf link automatically keeps it up to date, idk if .exe client does this

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#9 2019-02-01 15:08:25

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

TaskManager wrote:

playing the game via swf link automatically keeps it up to date, idk if .exe client does this

The executable client always loads the latest client file, so it'll always be up to date. But the projector still provides better performance.

#10 2019-02-01 17:44:24

peace

LukeM wrote:
peace wrote:

In EEU we'll be using HTML5, which has been supported by all browsers for almost 10 years now, so theres pretty much no chance of it not being able to load XD

so these balck screens are flash being slow?

peace.png

#11 2019-02-01 19:32:16

LukeM
Website

peace wrote:
LukeM wrote:

so these balck screens are flash being slow?

The black screens Mylo is talking about are because Flash player isn't installed

#12 2019-02-01 20:45:43

Gosha

Wooted by:

#13 2019-02-01 20:53:27

capasha

This one is already on the site. And it doesn't work on mac because it needs Active-X and Internet Explorer.
That's the same for the downloadable EXE.

#14 2019-02-05 22:35:17, last edited by Mylo (2019-02-05 22:39:17)

Mylo
Master Developer

I do have the most recent version of each browser. The issue comes not from missing flash, I do have flash installed. The homepage looks broken right now, at first glance in every browser. Even in chrome where flash is still per click through supported. It should be quite easy to make an flash wrapper for macOS & linux even when flash is not installed on the system. I don't see you guys releasing EEU in the next few months, so why make the game look like it's dead in the meantime, for most users? Why not make the game more accessible? Why not maintain the homepage adequate? Don't you have webdevelopers on board?

FYI: Click through support in chrome will be disabled by default in a few months: https://www.chromium.org/flash-roadmap# … -July-2019-

#15 2019-02-06 00:18:33, last edited by LukeM (2019-02-06 00:19:01)

LukeM
Website

Mylo wrote:

I do have the most recent version of each browser. The issue comes not from missing flash, I do have flash installed. The homepage looks broken right now, at first glance in every browser.

Are you sure you have it installed correctly and enabled? It really shouldn't look broken, it looks fine for me on all the browsers I have installed on my computer //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Mylo wrote:

It should be quite easy to make an flash wrapper for macOS & linux even when flash is not installed on the system. I don't see you guys releasing EEU in the next few months, so why make the game look like it's dead in the meantime, for most users? Why not make the game more accessible?

I'm fairly sure that pretty much all ways to package a flash game in an exe still require flash to be installed, in which case the in browser option really is the most accessible, especially for the >80% of people using a browser that supports it natively.

LukeM1549408713740356

Board footer