Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-04 00:44:47, last edited by azurepudding (2018-10-04 00:49:52)

azurepudding

Final thoughts on the EE tournament

Since it's been well over a week now since I've lost, I'd like to discuss a few issues I've had with this contest, which I'll try to be objective as possible with:

Firstly, the contest probably couldn't have started at an even worse time.  We had the entirety of summer to hold a contest where school wouldn't interfere, but the contest starts RIGHT as school starts up.  As such, we had plenty of teams quit due to time restraints, and the rest of us who could manage to make worlds, had that much more stress that could have been prevented.  If the contest was held 2 or 3 months sooner, I think there would have been a higher turn out of participation.

Then there's the whole thing about the contest being tournament styled, which while something new to try out, does NOT work well with EE world creation.  Tournament style works in games where every team CANNOT all participate at once, such as tennis or chess.  While not entirely ideal, as you could have a bad day here or there, tournament style has to be followed for these kind of games simply because you can't have a court with 64 teams, or a chess table with 64 sides.  With EE world creation, there is no need for this restriction, as everyone can compete against all, which has been done in previous contests.  This is a more fair way to run things, as you don't run the risk of high-scoring worlds losing early due to pairing up against a slightly higher scoring world, as well as low scoring worlds moving further due to chance of matching up with a slightly lower scoring world.  You also don't have any chance of two non-submissions going against each other, which DID happen in this tournament, meaning that a team that literally did nothing now gets a better reward (as well as another chance to go even further), than a team who actually spent the time to create a world, but loses.  We also have lower scoring worlds in the later rounds of the tournament than those from earlier, who are now eliminated.  Simply said, tournament style is unfair and doesn't work for EE.  All that matters is if you're better than your current opponent- consistency of world quality doesn't matter, you just have to be better than one team.  Theoretically, you could make it to the Finals with worlds rated 50/100 every round, but on the last round put in the extra effort and win with a 86/100, while another team who has consistently scored 85/100 every single round, would lose at the finals.

A more subjective point, but this tournament is too long.  And I don't mean exactly time-wise, but round-wise.  Previous contests you only had to make one world, but this time around several had to be made, which after some time can really drain on a builder, with the short building times and shortening judging periods (which essentially were a break period for builders.)  It became exhausting, and became too much effort for little reward.  Going 7 rounds myself, I only get +350 max energy, and being someone who logs in every day to spend energy and to collect daily bonus, this is.. essentially nothing.  (And a joke world gets to move on..)  Too many rounds and insufficient prizes.  Which leads me to my next point:

The Designer contest had 2 first place winning teams, 3 second place, and either 4 or 5 third place teams.. I forget.  This allowed more people to win the prizes, but not TOO many so that they held no value.  We also only had to build one world, so if you didn't win a prize, only a few hours were lost, rather than a dozen+ with the EE tournament.  As one of the few with the Designer smiley, even with 15 or so individual owners of it, I think it's plenty rare enough, but this bubble aura, only like 4 or 5 will have it.  Which, considering how many rounds it takes to reach the end, is a MASSIVE bummer for those who lost a round or two or three before reaching the bubble aura prize.  Ouch.

(At least the super cool target aura makes missing bubble less disappointing, that thing's really awesome.)

For a future contest, if we go with several rounds again, I'd suggest going no more than 5 rounds tops.  And don't go with a tournament style again.. as explained above.  We could have a scoring system across all 5 worlds, so that no one is eliminated, and the winner will be chosen based by highest world quality consistency.  EVERY round you will be encouraged to do your best.  This would be the more fair way to determine a winner, won't be as stressful, and with fewer rounds, could also allow more time for building and/or break time.

I love the idea of contests and hope we can learn from this one.  Quality over quantity, please!

Azure2.png

#2 2018-10-04 00:48:14

Joeyc

Re: Final thoughts on the EE tournament

yeah, i think tournaments suck in gerenal. when it involves a contest especially. lets just stick to a normal contest please!

Wooted by: (3)

#3 2018-10-04 00:58:57, last edited by drunkbnu (2018-10-04 01:01:34)

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

I really didn't care much about the tournament from the very beginning. For me it was a great chance to experiment with other players.

I'm only going to point out one thing that you seem to have mistaken.

This isn't a contest, this is a tournament. Forget the term "contest" completely, treat the tournament as a "tournament", even if the topic content says otherwise. Then most of the rules will actually make sense.

Wooted by:

#4 2018-10-04 01:02:37

Joeyc

HG wrote:

I really didn't care much about the tournament from the very beginning. For me it was a great chance to experiment with other players.

This isn't a contest, this is a tournament. Forget the term "contest" completely, treat the tournament as a "tournament", even if the topic content says otherwise. Then most of the rules will actually make sense.

does it really matter, it all means the same thing in my head and in our heads

Wooted by:

#5 2018-10-04 01:41:44

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

HG wrote:

Please reread the third paragraph of the OP.

suddenly random sig change

#6 2018-10-04 03:23:23

ILikeTofuuJoe
Website

Yeah I agree with tournments are for non- all players same time things.

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat ~meow~ https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat
Posting Goal: 2000
#Joe Griffin
Signature
Thanks HG for the signature and avatar!!!

#7 2018-10-04 03:39:57

Wizard2002

I believe that Azure made some very good points and that staff should learn from this next time they do another tournament or contest. While it most certainly was fun in the beginning I became very stressed about it later in the tournament. And right now I'm sitting here waiting to hear if all that stress was for almost nothing other than the experience of it all...

The Derpiest Wizard there ever was //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool

#8 2018-10-04 05:54:01

Freckleface

Inb4 10 page luka/azure collab essay.

F

Wooted by: (2)

#9 2018-10-04 07:15:33, last edited by Luka504 (2018-10-04 07:16:50)

Luka504

Freckleface wrote:

Inb4 10 page luka/azure collab essay.

Actually no, not really, all of these points are things I've mentioned before, thus I already agree with it.

Aside from the things mentioned by Azure, I feel as though the best teams in the tournament got absolutely #rekt by the judging system while some of the worst competitors stuck around for far longer than they should have.
The best examples of the former is "2 french 1 cup". They've had amazing worlds in the past, but they fell victim to the act of bad judging. Twice in a row they lost to a clearly inferior world, and despite being quite possibly the best team in the tournament, they didn't even make it to the semi-finals.
The best example of the latter is MusicMan. No disrespect for the guy, but he should not have made it as far as he did. He has literally never lost once in this entire tournament thus far despite being one of the worst contestants participating. And now MusicMan has the bubble aura, despite the fact that other users deserve it much more than he does.

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

Wooted by: (3)

#10 2018-10-04 15:27:51

peace

what about you go on a vactaion in sumemr break IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TOURNAMENT

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

peace1538663271727274

Board footer