Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

Advertisement

Hello, visitor! These forums are run off of the revenue generated from these ads. If you'd like to support us, please whitelist us or consider donating:

#1 2018-09-23 05:49:35

ILikeTofuuJoe
Banned
From: Obvervable Universe
Joined: 2018-06-04
Posts: 1,435
Website

What school is

1. School is essentially a factory that uses innocent children and completely reform them into a standard model which is follow directions which is what factory workers do.
2. Grades can completely ruin a kid's life. Most of American children judge how good they are by their grades. Grades are just indicating a child's ability to follow directions and memory.
3. Tests and exams are literally just a test of your memory. People try to memorize things overnight just to prepare for a stupid "exam". Studies have found that kids and adults lose 95% of test/ exam studied information in just three days.
4. Students don't get to do what they want to do. I know it sometimes isn't the case for nerds. But school just completely wrecks their future and what they want to do. Like if you want to be a chef why would you need to know what X, Y, and Z equals when you can instead learn the correct amount of spices to put in food.
5. What a lot of students might feel like is a teacher standing there saying "Bla bla bla bla bla..." and they are there listening to those boring things. They are not even allowed to talk to their friends. Yeah class periods might be just listening to the teacher saying "Bla bla bla..." for a lot of students.
6. Great resources being blocked. If you tried to go on YouTube on a school computer it will be blocked. Seriously, why? YouTube is a great resource, video learning teaches  more stuff in a shorter period of time while the students are more likely to remember it. Unless it is more boring stuff of course.
7. History classes. The so greatness of knowing what happened in the past exept for a high grade on history? Non- existent. Why would you want to know about the past when you can think about the future? Why look backwards instead of forwards?
8. Learning in school isn't learning. In school, learning = memorizing as talked about earlier. Learning is about actually knowing it and not sit there like a dummy while taking in as much information as possible to get a so called "Bright future".
9. High GPA = Good job. The reason why employers would hire these people is because, well, they are hard- working. But some people might be different. Like Bill Gates, he hires lazy people because they will find a more efficient way to get the job done. Lazy doesn't mean dumb. Is that good for the business? Obviously yes.
10. You will be stuck in prison if you fail school. This is an absolutely false statement. Did Albert Einstein get drop out of school? Yes. And so did many other successful people. Go for your own path is what they taught us. Don't get restricted by school. Why be an employee when you can be an employer? If you go for one thing you like and disallow anything to stop you, you will be successful.
11. Having to wake up early. Many schools have children wake up early to get to school. Most elementary schools require school to start before 8:00. Some middle schools are even more strict about the time. Some even need students to wake up at 6:00! Imagine a person went from a elementary school that starts at 8:30 to a middle school that starts at 6:30! That would've been torture.
12. College and private school tuition. Tuition is basically a money vacuum cleaner, that sucks up all the money for themselves. It is a barrier between the poor and the rich. Sometimes the students themselves have to earn the tuition. A private college's tuition is uhh! Forget it.
13. School = Prison. Schools below college is literal prison. Prison for kids. Those poor kids get locked in school prison for hours a day. On most weekdays, the average American kid spends 7 and a half hours locked in the terrible school prison. There is even less space to move in a classroom then an office. School is prison and the seats are the cells while teachers are prison guards. School is way worse then the nicest prison in the world.
14. New student. Whenever there is a new student the teacher goes like "Bla bla bla you have to treat the new student nicely bla bla..." Seriously, a new student is like an excuse for the teacher. Other students always have to talk with them at lunch and it is just awful.
15. Parent requirements. Have you ever had a time when your parents were like "You! Get 100% or you will get slapped with this wooden bar!" Kids hearing these things might lead to depression, and suicide possibillities. To those parents: Did you like that when you were a child? Of course not. Then why are you doing it to your children? You do know they don't like it.
16. Schools don't treat people well. When you get in to an unfair situation, no matter how big the situation was, they always say life is unfair. Sure, but the bullies? The bullies just go around making more unfair things and get caught by the teacher. Schools also treat students like a herd of sheep. And the single file thing? When you don't do it sometimes they just go "SINGLE FILE!" at your face.
17. Schedules. Students are used to school schedules scheduling what they do every minute. It has the same effect as number 1 on this list. There might be another problem: when they build their own schedules it might be a bit more difficult. When you are starving at 11am but the schedules says you can only eat lunch at 12pm it just hurts to think about that there is an whole hour left until lunch.

Last edited by ILikeTofuuJoe (2018-09-23 08:39:16)


https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat ~meow~ https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat
Posting Goal: 2000
#Joe Griffin
Signature
Thanks HG for the signature and avatar!!!

Offline

#2 2018-09-23 06:05:41

HeyNK
Banned
Joined: 2017-04-07
Posts: 1,164

Re: What school is

Whatever school you went to has failed //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad I agree, we should shut it down and dispose of the defective units it produced.

Offline

Wooted by:

#3 2018-09-23 06:15:56

ILikeTofuuJoe
Banned
From: Obvervable Universe
Joined: 2018-06-04
Posts: 1,435
Website

Re: What school is

The educational system has completely failed.


https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat ~meow~ https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat
Posting Goal: 2000
#Joe Griffin
Signature
Thanks HG for the signature and avatar!!!

Offline

#4 2018-09-23 07:02:50

Yu
Member
Joined: 2018-06-18
Posts: 132

Re: What school is

College is pretty much none of these things. I agree that school is extremely narrow in how it educates students, but it exists to set a flat table for students and raise that platform. From there, you can go to college to further strengthen this foundation and, finally, choose a major that you like (such as culinary arts).

I agree with the exam part - I think instead of exams students should take a trip to a partnering company and apply their knowledge onto real-world work. You not only get payed for interning but you get graded by how effectively you applied that knowledge.

However, I think YouTube should be blocked. It's a gateway to watching entertainment videos. Reading material online is a better option. It's safer. YT used to be allowed at our middle school and like half of the people were watching unrelated stuff.

Also, respect your teacher/professor. It's harder for them than for you in class, just know that. Hardly get payed, get treated like sh** today, parents spit on them, chew em down. Not to mention, school faculty doesn't give a damn about teachers. They have like no benefits because of how broke so many school districts are. Colleges on the other hand rake so much money in terms of tuition, it's easier to teach there.

I'm also surprised you didn't mention waking up very early every day and having a long day of classes. Waking early is unhealthy for students.

Offline

#5 2018-09-23 07:14:54

ILikeTofuuJoe
Banned
From: Obvervable Universe
Joined: 2018-06-04
Posts: 1,435
Website

Re: What school is

Yu wrote:

College is pretty much none of these things. I agree that school is extremely narrow in how it educates students, but it exists to set a flat table for students and raise that platform. From there, you can go to college to further strengthen this foundation and, finally, choose a major that you like (such as culinary arts).

I agree with the exam part - I think instead of exams students should take a trip to a partnering company and apply their knowledge onto real-world work. You not only get payed for interning but you get graded by how effectively you applied that knowledge.

However, I think YouTube should be blocked. It's a gateway to watching entertainment videos. Reading material online is a better option. It's safer. YT used to be allowed at our middle school and like half of the people were watching unrelated stuff.

Also, respect your teacher/professor. It's harder for them than for you in class, just know that. Hardly get payed, get treated like sh** today, parents spit on them, chew em down. Not to mention, school faculty doesn't give a damn about teachers. They have like no benefits because of how broke so many school districts are. Colleges on the other hand rake so much money in terms of tuition, it's easier to teach there.

I'm also surprised you didn't mention waking up very early every day and having a long day of classes. Waking early is unhealthy for students.

I'll add to the list. Also,  why the teacher wanted to be teachers when they knew there were far better jobs than this? I agree college is better but yeah those tuition is insane. Tuition at college is like a money- wait I'll add that to the list.


https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat ~meow~ https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat
Posting Goal: 2000
#Joe Griffin
Signature
Thanks HG for the signature and avatar!!!

Offline

#6 2018-09-23 07:44:24

Luka504
Member
From: Serbia,probs never heard of it
Joined: 2015-02-19
Posts: 2,072

Re: What school is

1. Is obedience really a bad thing? If you're constantly arguing against your superiors I can tell you for certain that you're going to fail in life, school or no school. Do you think your employer is just going to keep paying you if you never listen to his orders?

2. Grades aren't necessarily about simply memory and obedience, grades represent how much time and effort you'll spend working to get a better grade. Employers love to see good grades because it's a clear confirmation that you're prepared to work on something you may personally not like.

3. Repetition is the best way of learning something, whether you believe it or not. Of course, you won't remember most of what you learned for a test, but you'll at least know some of it. For example, you might not remember precisely how plants transform the Sun's energy into oxygen, but you still know that it's a process called photosynthesis. Schools encourage you to be decent/good at every subject, and not amazing at one subject and awful in everything else.
"Jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one"

4. Most people don't know what they want to be when they grow up. And even if they do, they're likely to change their mind as they get older. For me personally, when I was younger I wanted to become an astronaut, but as time passed I realized that that isn't really what I want. If you only study one subject, you're locked into that career option for your entire life. Do you want that?

5. I partially agree with this. I've had some teachers that I really loved and some that I despised. However, you cannot blame the teacher solely for your problems. I've had french class with a friend, and even though we were basically the same in most other subjects, he knows french much better than I do, despite the fact that we had the same teacher. To my knowledge he didn't have any close relatives who could have helped him, so he had to do it by himself. The student is just as much to blame as the teacher, if not, more.

6. If you really want to use YouTube for educational reasons, you can just do it at home? The reason why it's blocked in schools is so kids don't inevitably go on it to watch stupid things like "Fail Compilation #55" instead of paying attention in class.

7. Remember the phrase "One who does not know history is doomed to repeat it". History is an important part of who we are. As humans we learn from our past mistakes and know how to avoid them in the future. That is what history teaches you.

8. Repetition is the best way to learn something.
Repetition is the best way to learn something.
Repetition is the best way to learn something.

9. Fun fact, Bill Gates also said that the world needs more college graduates. A lazy person doesn't necessarily mean a dumb person.

10. Honey, you got it all wrong. Albert Einstein was a genius in his time, he had amazing grades in school, particularly in fields of math and science. He was so advanced that some of his teachers and even the principal of his school advised him to quit school to pursue a higher education, which he precisely did. Even though Albert Einstein did technically drop out of a school, he did graduate college in the end.

11. My school has both afternoon classes and morning classes that alternate every week, and I can tell you that I much prefer morning classes, because they give me more free time and more time to study. It's a matter of preference mostly.

12. High tuition is most certainly a problem in the education system, but it's not a problem caused by the education system. Even then, free education is pretty commonplace in a lot of places around the world, so it's not as big of an issue as you seem to be making it out to be.

13. Stop being hyperbolic! I'd much rather be in school than in prison! It's not even a question!

14. ... Huh...? Is it a crime to tell your class to treat a new student in a nice manner?

15. "Get 100% or you will go to jail!" - Do I have to explain how stupid that sounds? No. No parent has ever told their child that. Your previous points at least held some weight but this is just ridiculous.

Last edited by Luka504 (2018-09-23 08:12:39)


How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

Luka504.png

Offline

Wooted by: (3)

#7 2018-09-23 07:46:34

ILikeTofuuJoe
Banned
From: Obvervable Universe
Joined: 2018-06-04
Posts: 1,435
Website

Re: What school is

Luka504 wrote:

1. Is obedience really a bad thing? If you're constantly arguing against your superiors I can tell you for certain that you're going to fail in life, school or no school. Do you think your employer is just going to keep paying you if you never listen to his orders?
2. Grades aren't necessarily about simply memory and obedience, grades represent how much time and effort you'll spend working to get a better grade. Employers love to see good grades because it's a clear confirmation that you're prepared to work on something you may personally not like.
3. Repetition is the best way of learning something, whether you believe it or not. Of course, you won't remember most of what you learned for a test, but you'll at least know some of it. For example, you might not remember precisely how plants transform the Sun's energy into oxygen, but you still know that it's a process called photosynthesis. Schools encourage you to be decent/good at every subject, and not amazing at one subject and awful in everything else.
"Jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one"
4. Most people don't know what they want to be when they grow up. And even if they do, they're likely to change their mind as they get older. For me personally, when I was younger I wanted to become an astronaut, but as time passed I realized that that isn't really what I want. If you only study one subject, you're locked into that career option for your entire life. Do you want that?
5. I partially agree with this. I've had some teachers that I really loved and some that I despised. However, you cannot blame the teacher solely for your problems. I've had french class with a friend, and even though we were basically the same in most other subjects, he knows french much better than I do, despite the fact that we had the same teacher. To my knowledge he didn't have any close relatives who could have helped him, so he had to do it by himself. The student is just as much to blame as the teacher, if not, more.
6. If you really want to use YouTube for educational reasons, you can just do it at home? The reason why it's blocked in schools is so kids don't inevitably go on it to watch stupid things like "Fail Compilation #55" instead of paying attention in class.
7. Remember the phrase "One who does not know history is doomed to repeat it". History is an important part of who we are. As humans we learn from our past mistakes and know how to avoid them in the future. That is what history teaches you.
8. Repetition is the best way to learn something.
Repetition is the best way to learn something.
Repetition is the best way to learn something.
9. Fun fact, Bill Gates also said that the world needs more college graduates. A lazy person doesn't necessarily mean a dumb person.
10. Honey, you got it all wrong. Albert Einstein was a genius in his time, he had amazing grades in school, particularly in fields of math and science. He was so advanced that some of his teachers and even the principal of his school advised him to quit school to pursue a higher education, which he precisely did. Even though Albert Einstein did technically drop out of a school, he did graduate college in the end.

fixing


https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat ~meow~ https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat
Posting Goal: 2000
#Joe Griffin
Signature
Thanks HG for the signature and avatar!!!

Offline

#8 2018-09-23 08:09:30

ILikeTofuuJoe
Banned
From: Obvervable Universe
Joined: 2018-06-04
Posts: 1,435
Website

Re: What school is

1. Obedience wrecks creativity and curiosity.
2. Thats still basically memory.
3. Repitition < interest. The more interesting it is to you, the better you memorize it.
4. The main issue is you can't have custom subjects.
5. Yep, it all depends on the teacher.
6. Only nerds would do school stuff on YouTube.
7. You don't need to kniw every detail of every historical events, do you?
8. Repitition takes a ton of time and there are better methods similar to repitition but faster.
9. Where did I say that lazy peple are dumb? Yes, the worlds does need more college graduates, but creativr ones are etter.
10. Fixed.
11. Your school is too nice.
12. Do you even know those people that cancel surgerys just to let their children go to college?
13. The nicest prison has shops, restraunts, each prisoner gets a comfy room, they also can learn to cook.
14. At times it gets annoying.
15. I meant to say "Get 100% or get slapped with this wooden bar!" No people actually did that.

Exams would be way better if you were trapped in a room and you have to solve the puzzles to obtain the key and get out
Schools should follow the prison i mentionned earlier, treating students like they are an actual human. That I will add to list.

Last edited by ILikeTofuuJoe (2018-09-23 08:28:42)


https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat ~meow~ https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat
Posting Goal: 2000
#Joe Griffin
Signature
Thanks HG for the signature and avatar!!!

Offline

Wooted by:

#9 2018-09-23 08:49:25

Luka504
Member
From: Serbia,probs never heard of it
Joined: 2015-02-19
Posts: 2,072

Re: What school is

1. No, no it doesn't. I'm a fairly obedient student, yet I still write creative essays and make creative presentations. You are your own limit when it comes to how creative you can be.
2. Oh, I never said it isn't. I said that it isn't just memory. There's other reasons why grades are important.
3. That is true.... But it doesn't exactly devalue my point, does it?
4. Elaborate.
5. It depends a lot on the student too. Stop blaming others for your problems.
6. Didn't you say that YouTube has a lot of useful information for students? I don't understand why you're going back on your point by saying that only nerds would use YouTube for that knowledge.
7. Of course not, no person on Earth knows every single detail regarding History. However that doesn't mean that History isn't an important part of who we are as a species.
8. Sorry, but nope. Maybe you might have some other methods to help you learn, but repeating something is truly the best way to remember something. Repetition is the mother of learning.
9. If you plan on graduating college, you need to put in the work. You can't be lazy.
10. ...Ok..
11. That doesn't mean anything.
12. That doesn't devalue what I said.
13. I can't even begin to count the flaws in that logic. First of all, most prisons aren't like that. Secondly, even the best prison is still a prison, you're not free. Thirdly, the worst prisons are absolute hell holes that you can never leave. Fourthly, I'd still rather be in an average school than in the best prison in the world.
14. ... Is that it...
15. You're being hyperbolic again. No parent threatens their child in such a way, and if they do it's their fault. You cannot blame the education system for bad parenting.

No. No school should do that. If you want to solve puzzles just play puzzle games, it isn't a school's job to teach you how to do them.
Most schools treat students like humans, in fact there are more humane schools than humane prisons. Stop being hyperbolic.


How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

Luka504.png

Offline

Wooted by:

#10 2018-09-23 09:16:01

ILikeTofuuJoe
Banned
From: Obvervable Universe
Joined: 2018-06-04
Posts: 1,435
Website

Re: What school is

I tried to submit but it didnt load again //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad
1. Fairly huh?
2. People lose confident when they get bad grades.
3. Not really...
4. I don't know.
5. Only if there are bullies.
6. Lost my point.
7. I give up.
8. Whatever.
9. You said lazy isn't umb.
10. Ok.
11. It means your school is better than mine
12. Nope.
13. Go with your logic then.
14. Yes.
15. I give up.
16.
17.

Regular exams are too boring.
SINGLE FILE!!!

I still think creativity and curiosity should be supported.

*·`.1000 Posts!!!.`·*

Last edited by ILikeTofuuJoe (2018-09-23 09:17:34)


https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat ~meow~ https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat
Posting Goal: 2000
#Joe Griffin
Signature
Thanks HG for the signature and avatar!!!

Offline

#11 2018-09-23 09:21:42

ILikeTofuuJoe
Banned
From: Obvervable Universe
Joined: 2018-06-04
Posts: 1,435
Website

Re: What school is

I need some sleep please stop posting now.


https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat ~meow~ https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat
Posting Goal: 2000
#Joe Griffin
Signature
Thanks HG for the signature and avatar!!!

Offline

#12 2018-09-23 10:44:49

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123
From: i really should update this
Joined: 2015-03-01
Posts: 6,831

Re: What school is

Alright where's my didn't read gif that I used in another topic?


i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Offline

Wooted by:

#13 2018-09-23 12:02:26

MWstudios
Member
From: World 4-2
Joined: 2018-04-06
Posts: 986

Re: What school is

TaskManager wrote:

Alright where's my didn't read gif that I used in another topic?

here
vader_didnt_read.gif

Last edited by MWstudios (2018-09-23 12:02:40)


Time before becoming a Member - Leaderboard
1. Whirl - 9 months
2. KirbyKareem - 8 months
3. pwnzor - 2.4 months
4. MWstudios - 2 months
5. ILikeTofuuJoe - 1.5 months
giphy.gif Piskel is the best GIF maker I've seen
HG's signature for me - Anatoly's signature for me
The Mashed Potatoes Song - The longest post on EE forums - Play my Minesweeper

Offline

Wooted by:

#14 2018-09-23 19:02:21

LukeM
Dev Team
From: England
Joined: 2016-06-03
Posts: 2,533
Website

Re: What school is

Half of this sounds more like bad teachers than anything //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue Not sure if its just because the UKs education system is better or something, but I haven't had the majority of these problems //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

1. School is the entire reason that our civilisation is so advanced, we wouldn't have 90% of the things we currently have if we didn't have school //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
2. This really isn't a thing where I am //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
3. Also not a thing where I am, most exams are more about problem solving etc than memorisation.
4. This is completely wrong, see point 1
5. The reason you're not allowed to talk to friends is that you are supposed to be concentrating / listening, if you don't listen then school really is a waste of time //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
6. If you had access to YouTube would you really be watching educational videos //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
7. This wasn't a problem for me, History was (and should be) an optional subject.
8. See point 3
9. Not sure what you're trying to say here... Obviously the better you are at something, the better job you are going to get //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue There would be no point for a company to employ people that aren't good enough to do the job...
10. This really isn't the case... Yes a lot of people dropped out of school and still became successful, but they are the sort of people that would teach themselves the stuff they would have been learning in school anyway, but a lot of the 'dropped out of school' stories you hear are actually people dropping out of university, which is a completely different thing //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
11. I've never heard of a school that starts at 6:30... Most schools where I am start around 8, and my college (uk college, so basically high school) didn't start until 9 //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile
12. Not a problem in the UK, the government offers every student a loan that includes enough money to pay for the tuition fees and to live on while at university (which is a fair loan with low interest that you pay back similar to tax and only if you earn more than the countries average)
13. Um... no.
14. Not really a problem...
15. Not the case for me or anyone else I know //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
16. Not really a thing in the UK...
17. Well schedules are pretty much necessary... If it weren't for them then there would be no way for the school to function...

Offline

Wooted by:

Yu

#15 2018-09-29 04:13:07

Ratburntro44
Member
Joined: 1970-01-01
Posts: 1,379
Website

Re: What school is

LukeM wrote:

School is the entire reason that our civilisation is so advanced, we wouldn't have 90% of the things we currently have if we didn't have school

excuse me you wrote "school" but i think you meant "property rights"


CfDaJeOm.png

Offline

#16 2018-09-29 04:39:11

ILikeTofuuJoe
Banned
From: Obvervable Universe
Joined: 2018-06-04
Posts: 1,435
Website

Re: What school is

Ratburntro44 wrote:
LukeM wrote:

School is the entire reason that our civilisation is so advanced, we wouldn't have 90% of the things we currently have if we didn't have school

excuse me you wrote "school" but i think you meant "property rights"

(woot) I ran out of woots


https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat ~meow~ https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat
Posting Goal: 2000
#Joe Griffin
Signature
Thanks HG for the signature and avatar!!!

Offline

#17 2018-09-29 05:06:35

Freckleface
Member
Joined: 2015-04-02
Posts: 1,260

Re: What school is

ILikeTofuuJoe wrote:
Ratburntro44 wrote:
LukeM wrote:

School is the entire reason that our civilisation is so advanced, we wouldn't have 90% of the things we currently have if we didn't have school

excuse me you wrote "school" but i think you meant "property rights"

(woot) I ran out of woots

Agreed


F

Offline

Freckleface1538193995726419

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

[ Started around 1545192582.1358 - Generated in 0.086 seconds, 12 queries executed - Memory usage: 1.51 MiB (Peak: 1.74 MiB) ]