Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-26 19:37:52, last edited by Lictor666 (2018-08-26 21:31:14)

Lictor666

Rogue Like System

Yo !

I'm trying to do a rogue like world featuring random generated dungeon, but i'm bad at system so i need some help...

My goal is to create lot of rooms with coins and spikes inside. When you die, you enter a world portal depending of the amount of coins collected. Then for your next game, you can buy somes upgrades (unlock effect and new areas, stock coins in a bank...), but that's for later.

Each room will have at least 2 entrances / exits, always on left or right.
And the total of left entrances = the total of right ones.

My idea for the moment was to generate the dungeon when the players enter it, creating all the connexions between rooms.

But after few tries, i don't find a good way to do that, any suggestions ?

EDIT :
What i got so far
(don't focus on the "brok" part)
First problem : there are sometimes rooms you can't access, and sometimes you can loop inside the same room.

Wooted by: (3)

#2 2018-08-26 21:41:25

Andymakeer

Re: Rogue Like System

1º How many rooms per dungeon will you create OR is the dungeon infinite?

2º Do you need the player to be able to go back to the exact previous room it was?

3º Why the "world portal depends on coin amount"? Is it so you can reset switches?

F

#3 2018-08-26 22:06:51

Luka504

I've made some procedurally generated minigames in the past and have an understanding of how they work, so I believe I could help you out on some aspects, but probably not all. I have some of my own questions that I need answered though.
1. How big is the playing map?
2. How many rooms will it have?
3. Are the starting point and ending point of the map always the same, or do they change with every run?
4. Should every room of the map be accessible no matter what, or do you just go from point A to point B with little to no detours?
5. Is the world going to have pre-made rooms? I'm assuming you wan't every room to be a minigame, and as such you will likely need to make a surplus of minigames in advance.
6. Are there going to be shops where you can buy power-ups?

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

#4 2018-08-26 22:41:02

Introduction

I like it that there are other people like me that love rogue-like games. One rogue-like game I like is The binding of Isaac : Rebirth . Not really meant to solve your problems, but it's a good game that you could be inspired of (Besides the really weird storyline/lore that you should not get inspired from)

Talking about solving your problems, I'm trying to figure this switch problem out right now, by creating a world corresponding to what you want. If I manage to solve your switch problems, I'll send you a link to my world and screenshots about all the switch gimmicks.

when your signature makes about half your comment //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool

#5 2018-08-26 23:16:31

Lictor666

Hehe thanks Introduction //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

I found a way to do it, but it'll be a fat system (i posted a img of it)
I'll keep searching for better solutions...

Andymakeer wrote:

1º How many rooms per dungeon will you create OR is the dungeon infinite?

2º Do you need the player to be able to go back to the exact previous room it was?

3º Why the "world portal depends on coin amount"? Is it so you can reset switches?

1- The idea is to create one big dungeon with around 100 rooms (so like 200-300 entrances / exits), but more will be better ofc !
The game could end after collecting XX amount of coins and getting back to spawn, or defeating all boss, or ... idk yet
I'm more focusing on the generation for the moment

2- Yes, that's the hard part :/

3- Yes too : fast reset and it makes the player back to spawn, to buy some stuff depending of his previous runs

Luka504 wrote:

I've made some procedurally generated minigames in the past and have an understanding of how they work, so I believe I could help you out on some aspects, but probably not all. I have some of my own questions that I need answered though.
1. How big is the playing map?
2. How many rooms will it have?
3. Are the starting point and ending point of the map always the same, or do they change with every run?
4. Should every room of the map be accessible no matter what, or do you just go from point A to point B with little to no detours?
5. Is the world going to have pre-made rooms? I'm assuming you wan't every room to be a minigame, and as such you will likely need to make a surplus of minigames in advance.
6. Are there going to be shops where you can buy power-ups?

1 - 2 - I want to create as many rooms as I can, so I suppose i'll take a 300x300
For the rooms it'll probably be something around 20x15 not sure yet (I prefer have the system first before starting creating rooms)

3 - The starting room will always be the same I think, with always 1 entrance to the dungeon, like the first room in Rogue Legacy
And I don't think there'll be an ending room

4 - It would be nice to have access to all rooms at every runs (if you have unlocked all areas),
but from what I already tested it seems a bit hard to do, sadly...

5- Yep, pre made rooms : somes challenging, somes just corridors, etc...

6- For the shop I have somes ideas already : the purchasing system from this topic for example :
https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=27482
But I prefer do step by step //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

#6 2018-08-27 01:26:31

Introduction

oof the switch system is in deed complicated, but as I was working on my stuff, maybe you could add a "Life" system, like you completly die if you die 3 times, and you could get health ups in the shop or the dungeon. Could be very interesting along with a boss fight at the end that could alternate with other bosses and minibosses that drop good loot to help you venture throughout the giant dungeon!

when your signature makes about half your comment //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool

Introduction1535329591721811

Board footer