Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-08 19:49:34

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

lava immunity bug

hello its that time of the year again

some people are aware of this bug but it's been around for a long while and im assuing devs dont know about it
theres this bug or glitch of sorts that you can pull off if you have edit and lava blocks
TL;DR: if you float in a block of lava (without burning and without heal effect, do it by godmodding into it) that has another block of lava beneath and if you erase both of them quickly, your lava burning effect breaks and you no longer die from lava

how to reproduce bug:
1) build a structure, similar to these two, two blocks of lava, either floating in air or on a solid ground (i didnt test other environments but these two cases work)
4jHp4Y0.png

2) use godmode, float on top of the upper lava block, and then disable godmode. you have to use W key to float inside the block, in order to avoid setting yourself on fire (this is another bug by the way)
wN2M0In.png Usl32Es.png

3) while youre floating inside the lava block, erase both of the blocks very quickly, starting with the upper one. you have to erase them quick enough that once the upper block is gone, the lower one has to be removed BEFORE you fall into it i further investigated this, and turns out, if you erase it too quickly it wont work, from what i observed the smiley has to touch lower block with its edge or something?? idk, just trying doing this at various erasing speeds
79kM33N.png

4) if you did that properly, you will fall down with your smiley burning indefinitely, as if it had the lava effect but without the lava timer itself. after this you can swim in lava freely without dying. however touching water removes the "immunity". (the "disable heal" effect doesn't remove this immunity)
OcHBc0Z.png
nPQfHmF.png

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#2 2018-08-08 20:24:54, last edited by LukeM (2018-08-08 20:25:24)

LukeM
Website

Re: lava immunity bug

I think the thing causing this is the same thing that we fixed for the other effects a couple of updates ago, the implementation of the effect is sort of split half and half between the server and the client, meaning that sometimes desyncs happen causing problems like this.

If I understand it correctly, this is because of the order in which things happen:
1. Client tells server that it wants to remove the block
2. Client hits the block, enables the effect, and tells the server that it is on fire
3. Server receives block removal message, and removes the block
4. Server receives effect message, but theres an air block there so the player couldn't have caught fire
This means that the client thinks its on fire, but the server doesn't, so the client never tells the server to set it on fire again, and the server never tells the client to die.

The reason we haven't fixed these problems with the timed effects is that we think that it will probably break a lot of existing worlds, as it will change the durations slightly due to the delay between hitting the block and the server receiving the message, meaning that precise timings may be broken.

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2018-08-08 20:27:27

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

LukeM wrote:

I think the thing causing this is the same thing that we fixed for the other effects a couple of updates ago, the implementation of the effect is sort of split half and half between the server and the client, meaning that sometimes desyncs happen causing problems like this.

If I understand it correctly, this is because of the order in which things happen:
2. Client hits the block, enables the effect, and tells the server that it is on fire
4. Server receives effect message, but theres an air block there so the player couldn't have caught fire
This means that the client thinks its on fire, but the server doesn't, so the client never tells the server to set it on fire again, and the server never tells the client to die.

The reason we haven't fixed these problems with the timed effects is that we think that it will probably break a lot of existing worlds, as it will change the durations slightly due to the delay between hitting the block and the server receiving the message, meaning that precise timings may be broken.

good implementation as always //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#4 2018-08-08 20:34:47, last edited by LukeM (2018-08-08 20:35:06)

LukeM
Website

TaskManager wrote:
LukeM wrote:

good implementation as always //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Thats one of the main reasons I'm looking forward to the rEEboot, it allows us to redesign all these things with the knowledge of what worked well / what should have been done differently //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

#5 2018-08-09 00:22:28

azurepudding

This is a cool bug yo

DON'T fix please

Azure2.png

#6 2018-08-09 05:18:07

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

azurepudding wrote:

This is a cool bug yo

DON'T fix please

More like a WARM bug. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool

Everybody Edits is Fred

#7 2018-08-09 10:45:55

peace

LukeM wrote:

then hitting lava again doesnt give a timer since client still thinks ur on fire so doesnt set you on fire again this is sort of bug youre tellign here to fix in reeboot like sever needs to know what he ha sdone a couple of seconds before like her in case the seve rehas to know oh wait i removed a lava nlock before maby the player hitted it before i got the removal message lets set him on fire

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#8 2018-08-09 11:04:51

rgl32

peace wrote:
LukeM wrote:

then hitting lava again doesnt give a timer since client still thinks ur on fire so doesnt set you on fire again this is sort of bug youre tellign here to fix in reeboot like sever needs to know what he ha sdone a couple of seconds before like her in case the seve rehas to know oh wait i removed a lava nlock before maby the player hitted it before i got the removal message lets set him on fire

I have absolutely no idea what you just said but Im pretty sure he knows whats wrong since he literally wrote out the steps when each event is fired.

Wooted by:
rgl321533809091718741

Board footer