Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-08-02 08:01:32

daneeko

Re: Fanboy Smileys From T-Shirts, Mugs & Phone Cases!

tbh i dont care about the fanboy smileys at all so count me out

UzI5nBc.png

#27 2018-08-02 08:41:53

Anatoly

sadly I won't be allowed to spent money for it //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

#28 2018-08-02 10:32:11

peace

//forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad fanboys are nice smileys but i wo nt be able to buy T-shirts but i am a true fan of ee i love ee what to do

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#29 2018-08-02 12:02:49

Raphe9000

Xenonetix wrote:

One of the points you've made is to suggest giving out the 2nd variation, but people who own only the 2nd variation mostly have very similar opinions to yourself as you do with the 1st variation. We decided in the end that we didn't want to compound the problem further by adding a 3rd variation.

The thing is I don't really want the 2nd variation to be brought back, but it makes the most sense to bring back because it was a smiley dedicated to giving the Fanboy to people who did and didn't have the Fanboy whilst letting players who got it the first time keep the value of the original smiley.

Xenonetix wrote:

But we also have to accept that it is relatively unfair on the members of wider community that have arrived since the Fanboys came out that they just didn't happen to be around at the time both Fanboys were made available. For a long time, we considered the possibility of allowing people to earn Fanboy again in the exact same ways people got them in the past, but decided that would make it too easy (considering both of them had the opportunity to be gained by emailing fanart, and not only by delivering postcards). So basically, we decided this was the best compromise we could come up with that still keeps it relatively exclusive, whilst rewarding the people supporting us by purchasing and wearing T-shirts.

I don't actually disagree with this, but I do disagree with is that the 1st version and the 2nd version are choices. Because the Fanboy 1 is the rarer smiley, I feel it should only be given to you if you've already gotten (either from the original events or from purchasing a shirt) the Fanboy 2.

azurepudding wrote:

Uh?? But why purposely lock the first one away, and only allow the second to return?  You want the first kept for "vets" but the second one not to be?  If you are arguing it would be unfair for fanboy 1 owners, then how is this not "unfair" to fanboy 2 owners?  It sounds like you just want a special smiley to yourself, that you do care who gets the first but not the second. 

Like I just suggested to Xeno, I just want its rarity to be taken into account, even if it is still obtainable through buying a shirt.

azurepudding wrote:

It's still not a contest.  You are comparing scenarios where you have to win and beat everyone else for a smiley, to one where you complete a task to earn a smiley that hundreds of others also earned.

But the idea of it is still giving something to the game and getting something back.

azurepudding wrote:

but those who will, those who ARE fans of the game, those who bought merch even.. why is it unfair for them to get to enjoy something alongside you?

You're acting like I want it exclusively to myself, but I discussed in my original comment other ways to give it out that I feel would truly represent what the smiley truly is.

Raphe9000 wrote:

I could see if a Fanboy 1 was reintroduced as a high tier Patreon reward, if you bought more than one shirt, or along with making it clear who already owned one rather than being a choice between it and the Fanboy 2.

I would pay more than 20 dollars for a Fanboy 2, so I don't like the Fanboy 1 is being introduced as a choice between it and the Fanboy 2 for 20 dollars. I do understand the reintroduction from a business standpoint and respect & trust Xenonetix enough that I can back his decision. I don't want the Fanboy 1 to be locked away in the vaults of old players' accounts, but I think that it is being undervalued.

azurepudding wrote:

I bet you most won't even wear it

Take a look at my crew:

Wooted by:

#30 2018-08-02 13:20:18, last edited by Luka504 (2018-08-02 13:21:12)

Luka504

The point of the fanboy smiley is to show that you're a fan of the game, not that you're able to spend a lot of money on it. Not everyone who loves the game has a credit card to buy a T-shirt that they'll probably only wear once and then never again.
You should be able to obtain the smiley for free or for a very small amount of money (Like sending a letter or drawing a picture), and shouldn't be limited by when you joined the game. If you're able to show your devotion to the game then you deserve this smiley.

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

Wooted by: (4)

#31 2018-08-02 13:46:16

KirbyKareem

Can I send the photo without me wearing it? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

VOKXwvt.png

#32 2018-08-02 14:40:25

Nebula

KirbyKareem wrote:

Can I send the photo without me wearing it? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

it says

Xenonetix wrote:

take a photo of yourself wearing it

#33 2018-08-02 15:47:12

peace

Luka504 wrote:

The point of the fanboy smiley is to show that you're a fan of the game, not that you're able to spend a lot of money on it. Not everyone who loves the game has a credit card to buy a T-shirt that they'll probably only wear once and then never again.
You should be able to obtain the smiley for free or for a very small amount of money (Like sending a letter or drawing a picture), and shouldn't be limited by when you joined the game. If you're able to show your devotion to the game then you deserve this smiley.

i agree im a big FAN of ee but tyyet i cant put money in it

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#34 2018-08-02 17:48:39

Raphe9000

Oh and I forgot to mention this, so I'll do it in a separate comment:

Xenonetix wrote:

Understandable reactions, and we anticipated there would be some controversy based on this decision, but we did ask the community about the nature of the Fanboys here in order to receive feedback before we made this decision:

https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=41592

I was on a cruise during that time, so I totally missed that discussion.

Wooted by:

#35 2018-08-02 18:49:53

Xenonetix
Past Owner
Website

Luka504 wrote:

We see it from the flipside - If you're such a big fan that you're willing to spend the money to wear a T-shirt with graphics assets from the game and support the game in this fashion, you deserve to be represented as a fan, and we want to thank you for doing so. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

We also don't believe that as many people as you might be suggesting will purchase T-shirts, and many of those that do probably won't bother taking photos of themselves for these Fanboy.

Not only that, as far as I can tell, the debate Raphe9000's bringing up is primarily based on the notion that the first Fanboy is rarer than the second. Turns out, not the case:

As far as I can tell, here are the stats:

• 184 of Fanboy II issued in 2016 (fanart emails).

• 35 of Fanboy II issued in 2015 (physical mail).

• 3 of Fanboy I issued in 2013 (Smiley Design Contest).

• 326 of Fanboy I issued in November-December 2011 (fanart emails).

• 475 of Fanboy I issued in January-April 2011 (physical mail).

Fanboy I Total: 804
Fanboy II Total: 219

By comparison, we feel that actually, an extra 10-20 being introduced is actually barely a blip on the rarity scale, and we just wanted to provide another chance for those who are true hardcore fans to earn this smiley. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Xenonetix_2.png

#36 2018-08-02 18:56:41, last edited by Joeyc (2018-08-02 18:57:15)

Joeyc

yeah, and we appreciate that. You don't know how long I've wanted fanboy 2 //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
I quit during 2015 and came back in 2017. So by then the fanboy was already gone

Wooted by:

#37 2018-08-02 18:58:52, last edited by Jorc (2018-08-02 18:59:42)

Jorc

Xenonetix wrote:
Luka504 wrote:

We see it from the flipside - If you're such a big fan that you're willing to spend the money to wear a T-shirt with graphics assets from the game and support the game in this fashion, you deserve to be represented as a fan, and we want to thank you for doing so.

We also don't believe that as many people as you might be suggesting will purchase T-shirts, and many of those that do probably won't bother taking photos of themselves for these Fanboy.

Not only that, as far as I can tell the debate Raphe9000's bringing up is primarily based on the notion that the first Fanboy is rarer than the second. Turns out, not the case:

As far as I can tell, here are the stats:

• 184 of Fanboy II issued in 2016 (fanart emails).

• 35 of Fanboy II issued in 2015 (physical mail).

• 3 of Fanboy I issued in 2013 (Smiley Design Contest).

• 326 of Fanboy issued in November-December 2011 (fanart emails).

• 475 of Fanboy I issued in January-April 2011 (physical mail).

Total Fanboy: 804
Total Fanboy II: 219

By comparison, we feel that actually, an extra 10-20 being introduced is actually barely a blip on the rarity scale, and we just wanted to provide another chance for those who are true hardcore fans to earn this smiley. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

u missed that 2 people got fanboy I in fanboy II drawing contest. Zoey2070 and me. We got it from NVD, NVD told zoey2070 that he can give her if she draw whole smiley collection with colors. She did it with color, i did same too and we got fanboy I.
somewhere in 2016 or 2017

#38 2018-08-02 19:02:22

Raphe9000

Xenonetix wrote:

Total Fanboy: 804
Total Fanboy II: 219

But we also need to think about the amount of players. In 2011, the playercount was around 2-3000 players at a time.
In 2015 to 2016, the playercount was a fraction of that.

There may be 4x as many Fanboy 1s, but there was a lot less than 1 fourth of the players left when the Fanboy 2 was introduced.

Wooted by:

#39 2018-08-02 19:32:37, last edited by ZeldaXD (2018-08-02 19:41:29)

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

Xenonetix wrote:

These statistics are incredibly dishonest to determine a smiley's rarity because most of these players are probably not active nowadays. You can't compare 2011 (when there were nearly 1800 users online at any moment) with 2015 (when there were, let's say (I'm making this number up, it's probably lower), 500 users online at any moment.

gLjTZE1.png

Wooted by: (2)

#40 2018-08-02 19:50:34

Hyperboy1

I sent an postcard in 2015 for the fanboy II but never actually got it :c

I'm too lazy to make an good signature lol

#41 2018-08-02 20:05:36

Freckleface

If the rEEboot has different graphics or abdifferent logo, wouldnt it just be a waste to buy these? EE will be gone soon and then these shirts wont advertise anything. I mean sure you could buy them for nostalgia but who even wants to remember EE?

F

#42 2018-08-02 20:16:21

Joeyc

Freckleface wrote:

If the rEEboot has different graphics or abdifferent logo, wouldnt it just be a waste to buy these? EE will be gone soon and then these shirts wont advertise anything. I mean sure you could buy them for nostalgia but who even wants to remember EE?

Which makes them limited time shirts if that's the case? I'm sure they might just add them over or something

#43 2018-08-02 20:26:47

Xenonetix
Past Owner
Website

ZeldaXD wrote:
Xenonetix wrote:

You can't compare 2011 (when there were nearly 1800 users online at any moment) with 2015 (when there were, let's say (I'm making this number up, it's probably lower), 500 users online at any moment.

If you can't compare it, can't determine the true rarity either, and every argument over the smileys keeping their rarity are null and moot. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

Personally, I feel that, if we are to accept that they're rare in any way, comparisons have to be made. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Xenonetix_2.png

#44 2018-08-02 21:14:25, last edited by ZeldaXD (2018-08-02 21:18:04)

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

Xenonetix wrote:
ZeldaXD wrote:
Xenonetix wrote:

You can't compare 2011 (when there were nearly 1800 users online at any moment) with 2015 (when there were, let's say (I'm making this number up, it's probably lower), 500 users online at any moment.

If you can't compare it, can't determine the true rarity either, and every argument over the smileys keeping their rarity are null and moot. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

Personally, I feel that, if we are to accept that they're rare in any way, comparisons have to be made. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

What.
Megalamb I'm going to explain this to you slowly.
Let's say imaginary country A has a population of 100 people. Each year, A has a total of 25 crimes.
There's another country, B, with a population of 1000 people. Each year, B has a total of 100 crimes.
According to you, there's more crime in B than in A because 100 > 25, but you are not taking into account that A has 100 people and B has 1000 people.

R(x) = Crimes / Population
R(A) = 25 / 100 = 0.25
R(B) = 100 / 1000 = 0.1

A has 0.25 crimes per person, whereas B has 0.1 crimes per person.
0.25 > 0.1, you're more likely to be the victim of a crime in A.

Now, a good statistic you could provide is, how many people who own fanboy I were online in the last month, how many people who own fanboy II were online in the last month, and how many people who own both were online in the last month. I'm not arguing against or for the case of Fanboy I being more rare than Fanboy II, but that's how you could actually know which one is rarer.

gLjTZE1.png

Wooted by: (4)

#45 2018-08-02 21:23:46

Kira

I have a better idea

you should pay people to buy these t-shirts I can guarantee you will sell more

#46 2018-08-02 21:47:27, last edited by Raphe9000 (2018-08-02 21:54:20)

Raphe9000

Xenonetix wrote:

If you can't compare it, can't determine the true rarity either, and every argument over the smileys keeping their rarity are null and moot.

Personally, I feel that, if we are to accept that they're rare in any way, comparisons have to be made.

What I mean is that a large number of those players are gone. I like collecting old games, so I'll put it in more understandable terms.

A game was released 15 years ago and sold 8,000,000 copies, and a sequel of it was released 3 years ago and sold 4,000,000 copies. The one released 15 years ago, by your logic, would be worth less because more were sold. However, not every person still has their copy of the original or knows they do. There are even some that forgot the game even existed.

Despite there initially being more of it, it is way more rare today. Many people just threw it away, stuffed it in the back of their closet, or broke it.

Now imagine a game that had thousands of players playing it at any one time. A small percentage of the community responds to a limited time event to get this cool item. Then, the game goes unmanaged for a year. The amount of people that still play and have that item had already been decreasing (as it wouldn't go up after the latest giveaway), but most of those players are completely gone after this hiatus. Now, the amount of players in a month are less than the game initially had in a day. A 2nd event starts, giving away a new rare item. A large percentage of the community gets it, and a lack of hiatuses means a lot less quit the game. Now, a lot more players have the newer item even though more of the older item was given out. After all, the beginning of the new event didn't notify the players who partook in the old event and left.

I mean they cannot be compared directly, and I'm pretty sure ZeldaXD did too.

EDIT: I find it hard to believe there would be more people playing today with Fanboy 1s than Fanboy 2s, but even if there are, the Fanboy 1 is still the harder to get smiley (as you couldn't get the Fanboy 1 whilst having a Fanboy 2 while you could do the contrary except for like one or two exceptions)

#47 2018-08-02 21:54:30

Luka504

Xenonetix wrote:

We see it from the flipside - If you're such a big fan that you're willing to spend the money to wear a T-shirt with graphics assets from the game and support the game in this fashion, you deserve to be represented as a fan, and we want to thank you for doing so. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

I never said that you can't be a fan if you spend money on the game, I'm saying that there are a lot of fans don't have credit cards and as such have no way of getting these smiley's which are meant to represent that you're a fan of the game. I suggested that there should be something you can do that is either free or costs a small amount of money so that everyone can get this smiley.

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

Wooted by:

#48 2018-08-02 22:34:28, last edited by Jorc (2018-08-02 22:34:43)

Jorc

>200 gems
>presses buy
>realize that i dont have credit card
>crying
>crying all day long dreaming that i will have big spender

#49 2018-08-02 23:46:27

azurepudding

I think you guys are thinking way too hard with rarity here..

If we're gonna go THIS far into "true rarity," it's difficult to tell now if you don't know how many owners of each fanboy are still active.  And Raphe, that analogy can't quite be proven to be true because it can be possible that more FB2 users have gone inactive.  Your analogy and numbers are pure speculation and wishful thinking.  For the sake of argument let's say half of FB1 users went inactive and EVERY SINGLE FB2 user is still somehow around.  FB2 would still be more rare.  But we don't know this, we don't know how many of each user group is active or not.  You just can't assume FB1 is more rare.  Wishful thinking.

It really shouldn't matter this much.  It's a smiley meant to show you're a huge fan of the game.  Why is rarity even a factor?  In a game with a playerbase that's a fraction of a fraction of what it once was, do what's best for the game, not what's best for you.  And others having FB1/2 access doesn't hurt you in the slightest.  It's all an ego/psychological thing.

Azure2.png

#50 2018-08-02 23:55:00

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

azurepudding wrote:

But we don't know this, we don't know how many of each user group is active or not.  You just can't assume FB1 is more rare.  Wishful thinking.

Exactly, we will never know this until someone does these statistics.

Now, a good statistic you could provide is, how many people who own fanboy I were online in the last month, how many people who own fanboy II were online in the last month, and how many people who own both were online in the last month

Which, I believe, is easy to do for the staff. Interesting stats I would like to see is the rarity of every single smiley.

gLjTZE1.png

Raphe90001533750008718630

Board footer