Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-18 13:57:58

Latif

Key doors/gates idea for rEEboot

Key doors and gates will have ids, and there will be only one single color. There should also be a public or "only for yourself" option (just like switches).

Key doors and gates have two properties: ID and duration. Duration is 5 seconds by default.
Keys have one property: ID.

When getting a key all doors and gates with the corresponding ID will activate. After the duration of the key door/gate it will deactivate. Note that they don't all have to deactivate at the same time, you could make very interesting stuff with that like a snake. It would also be nice to show a timer on the key door/gate so you can see when it's going to deactivate.

Wooted by: (5)

#2 2018-07-18 14:59:43

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Re: Key doors/gates idea for rEEboot

I'd prefer keys trigger a duration rather than the doors/gates. That would be more compact.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2018-07-18 16:02:29, last edited by LukeM (2018-07-18 16:04:00)

LukeM
Website

I swear that some people are mind reading me...

I have text documents with fully explained ideas I have for the rEEboot (three so far), and over the last few days all of them have been explained almost exactly by other people... (well this one wasn't explained in as much depth, but the other two were pretty spot on)

My idea was to replace keys, switches, etc. with a single system with numbered IDs, where there would be multiple different blocks to control the same doors, key like blocks which have a duration, and switch like blocks that toggle between on and off. Both 'keys' and 'switches' would have an global/local tick box where global would open everybodys doors, and local would only open yours (I think ByteArray has had a similar idea, but we haven't discussed this much so I'm not sure about the specifics of his)

So yes, I'll definately make sure to discuss this with the rest of the team when the time comes //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Standard disclaimer: These are just ideas, they haven't really been discussed much with other staff members, so I'm not saying that they will be added, just that I will make sure to suggest them.

#4 2018-07-18 16:35:51, last edited by MWstudios (2018-07-18 16:35:59)

MWstudios

LukeM wrote:

I have text documents with fully explained ideas I have for the rEEboot (three so far), and over the last few days all of them have been explained almost exactly by other people... (well this one wasn't explained in as much depth, but the other two were pretty spot on)

Change your password, they might not read your mind but your text documents

Time before becoming a Member - Leaderboard
1. Whirl - 9 months
2. KirbyKareem - 8 months
3. pwnzor - 2.4 months
4. MWstudios - 2 months
5. ILikeTofuuJoe - 1.5 months
giphy.gif Piskel is the best GIF maker I've seen
HG's signature for me - Anatoly's signature for me
The Mashed Potatoes Song - The longest post on EE forums - Play my Minesweeper

#5 2018-07-18 17:20:47

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

LukeM wrote:

These ideas have been requested a lot - people are just bringing them up again now that there's a chance they'll actually be added

suddenly random sig change

#6 2018-07-18 17:26:38

ILikeTofuuJoe
Website

Slabdrill wrote:
LukeM wrote:

These ideas have been requested a lot - people are just bringing them up again now that there's a chance they'll actually be added

I know right? But it is stil a CHANCE, meaning that it might not be added.

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat ~meow~ https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat
Posting Goal: 2000
#Joe Griffin
Signature
Thanks HG for the signature and avatar!!!

#7 2018-07-18 17:52:43, last edited by LukeM (2018-07-18 17:53:18)

LukeM
Website

Slabdrill wrote:
LukeM wrote:

This one yes, but the others had very specific details that I haven't seen suggested before, and the weird calculus physics one I don't think has ever been discussed (apart from maybe by me, not sure).

Wooted by:

#8 2018-07-19 03:09:16

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Something I like about the old key doors and gates is that their colours make them easy to tell apart. I'd prefer we keep that somehow, if possible.

Also, I'd like to see gates work as morphs of their respective doors. It just makes sense!

Everybody Edits is Fred

Wooted by: (2)

#9 2018-07-19 10:09:26

LukeM
Website

N1KF wrote:

Something I like about the old key doors and gates is that their colours make them easy to tell apart. I'd prefer we keep that somehow, if possible.

Yes, that's the main problem with the numbered keys idea. I was thinking maybe having a few coloured doors first (IDs 0-5 or something), but that seems a bit messy...

#10 2018-07-19 11:31:04

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

From my understanding of your idea Luke, you want to combine local and global doors/gates and key doors and gates into the same block right? With IDs and a check for if they are global or local?

I don't see why they can't include IDs up to 999 AND include different colours. Different coloured blocks, all with the same customisable function.

From this, we can make our own colour schemes. If we want to only use blue for our global switches then why not? If we want all keys to be pink then we can do that too.

I'd assume that, given time, the community would naturally form a standard for which colours usually represent what as worlds that use a specific colour scheme become popular and hence inspiration for others. But some people will still deviate from that either to be unique or artistic purposes.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#11 2018-07-19 11:38:04

LukeM
Website

mutantdevle wrote:

From my understanding of your idea Luke, you want to combine local and global doors/gates and key doors and gates into the same block right? With IDs and a check for if they are global or local?

I don't see why they can't include IDs up to 999 AND include different colours. Different coloured blocks, all with the same customisable function.

From this, we can make our own colour schemes. If we want to only use blue for our global switches then why not? If we want all keys to be pink then we can do that too.

I'd assume that, given time, the community would naturally form a standard for which colours usually represent what as worlds that use a specific colour scheme become popular and hence inspiration for others. But some people will still deviate from that either to be unique or artistic purposes.

I was thinking that it would be best to enforce the red key -> red door thing, which would mean the colours would have to be preset IDs, although now I think about it theres no reason to replace 0-5, they could just be extra IDs (named red, blue, green, etc.), but I still think it would be a good idea to make it so the colours are for indicating which keys / switches / whatever activate which doors.

And as for indicating which are local and which are global keys / switches etc, I was thinking more of having different graphics for each type, so you can always see exactly what the key or switch is going to do.

Wooted by:

#12 2018-07-19 13:39:09

Latif

mutantdevle wrote:

I'd prefer keys trigger a duration rather than the doors/gates. That would be more compact.

Nah that sucks, why would you want a key that opens doors for example 3 seconds and another one for 4 seconds? You have more possibilities if every door has a duration.

Wooted by:

#13 2018-07-19 15:47:57

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Fair enough actually.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#14 2018-07-19 23:08:22

LukeM
Website

Latif wrote:
mutantdevle wrote:

Nah that sucks, why would you want a key that opens doors for example 3 seconds and another one for 4 seconds? You have more possibilities if every door has a duration.

If you're going for that then you'd have to have a delay option too, otherwise you wouldn't be able to do the majority of the things this would be useful for.

#15 2018-07-20 00:19:59

Latif

LukeM wrote:

If you're going for that then you'd have to have a delay option too, otherwise you wouldn't be able to do the majority of the things this would be useful for.

Yeah you're right, that would be even better. By the way, now I remember I've suggested duration and delay options for time doors a long time ago. You can set the duration when opened and closed. It would be nice to make key doors and time doors more similar, the only difference then is that time doors are automated and key doors are triggered by a key.

#16 2018-07-20 00:48:13

ILikeTofuuJoe
Website

Latif wrote:
LukeM wrote:

Yeah you're right, that would be even better. By the way, now I remember I've suggested duration and delay options for time doors a long time ago. You can set the duration when opened and closed. It would be nice to make key doors and time doors more similar, the only difference then is that time doors are automated and key doors are triggered by a key.

Yeah, custom duration timed doors and gates wwould be a good addition to EE.

https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat ~meow~ https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/8f/117_cat
Posting Goal: 2000
#Joe Griffin
Signature
Thanks HG for the signature and avatar!!!

#17 2018-07-24 23:10:41

maytal

I think it should stay how it is.

maytal1532470241715859

Board footer