Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-03 05:36:07

Freckleface

Build limit bar

Make a bar that shows how close to are to reaching the block limit so people do not lose work due to storage limitatioms. The bar could be somewhere in the toolbar or settings screen.
When going over the limit a notification could say something like "Build limit reached! Further edits may not be saved."

F

Wooted by: (3)

#2 2018-07-03 08:34:49

LukeM
Website

Re: Build limit bar

I think you might have either misread the suggestion or copied the wrong link.

Anyway, I don't think this is possible, EE can't find out exactly how large a world save is as that's handled by PlayerIO, and it's not an exact formula because of how EE saves worlds and PlayerIO saves files.

Wooted by:

#3 2018-07-03 13:18:07

Freckleface

LukeM wrote:

I think you might have either misread the suggestion or copied the wrong link.

Anyway, I don't think this is possible, EE can't find out exactly how large a world save is as that's handled by PlayerIO, and it's not an exact formula because of how EE saves worlds and PlayerIO saves files.

They could probably calculate a rough estimate of how much each block takes up and how much playerIO can handle. As long as we can get so warning as to when our work could be for nothing.

F

#4 2018-07-03 13:45:24

LukeM
Website

Freckleface wrote:
LukeM wrote:

They could probably calculate a rough estimate of how much each block takes up and how much playerIO can handle. As long as we can get so warning as to when our work could be for nothing.

I guess we could make an estimate, but I'm not sure it would be accurate enough for it to be worth it... It would probably be at least 20-30% off, which imo wouldnt help much as it would make you think that you have more space left than you do.

I guess it doesn't matter much now though as the problem will be resolved anyway in the reboot.

#5 2018-07-03 15:50:56

peace

while i realy like this idea a lot i tink lukem is right and its not poss //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#6 2018-07-03 16:10:11, last edited by SirJosh3917 (2018-07-03 16:27:22)

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

LukeM wrote:

Anyway, I don't think this is possible

Actually, I got a test project working with the help of some of OpenPlayerIO's internals and used the ability that you can actually download a world yourself and get the raw size of it.

dotnet_2018-06-23_18-30-04.png

It's just a proof of concept, but it could be used to find out the size of any world.

In fact, it is possible that an estimator bot that was accurate to the byte could be made - without downloading from BigDB

Wooted by: (2)

#7 2018-07-03 16:30:43

LukeM
Website

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:
LukeM wrote:

Anyway, I don't think this is possible

Actually, I got a test project working with the help of some of OpenPlayerIO's internals and used the ability that you can actually download a world yourself and get the raw size of it.

https://upl.sirjosh3917.com/dotnet_2018 … -30-04.png

It's just a proof of concept, but it could be used to find out the size of any world.

In fact, it is possible that an estimator bot that was accurate to the byte could be made - without downloading from BigDB

Is it guarunteed that this is the same format that PlayerIO uses? I was under the impression that the file system was done completely by PlayerIO serverside, which would mean there would be no way for us to know the true size of a world...

#8 2018-07-03 16:34:00, last edited by SirJosh3917 (2018-07-03 16:36:29)

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

LukeM wrote:

Is it guarunteed that this is the same format that PlayerIO uses? I was under the impression that the file system was done completely by PlayerIO serverside, which would mean there would be no way for us to know the true size of a world...

If you read the source code of OpenPlayerIO, the format PlayerIO uses is just a few custom header bytes with the Google's Protocol Buffer serialization algorithm being used to save it - thus, it would be possible given that it's such a widely used standard. When you download the world from BigDB, it appears that you download the entire object as it is stored on the serverside, then decode it on the client side and use it. The screenshot I gave was a world that wouldn't save if I put any more blocks into it - and it's 511,945 bytes big - the 500KiB limit.

Keep in mind though, that I'm not as qualified as Atilla is to talk about how PlayerIO works - i merely read and interpreted the source.

#9 2018-07-03 17:01:11

LukeM
Website

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:
LukeM wrote:

If you read the source code of OpenPlayerIO, the format PlayerIO uses is just a few custom header bytes with the Google's Protocol Buffer serialization algorithm being used to save it - thus, it would be possible given that it's such a widely used standard. When you download the world from BigDB, it appears that you download the entire object as it is stored on the serverside, then decode it on the client side and use it. The screenshot I gave was a world that wouldn't save if I put any more blocks into it - and it's 511,945 bytes big - the 500KiB limit.

Keep in mind though, that I'm not as qualified as Atilla is to talk about how PlayerIO works - i merely read and interpreted the source.

Ah ok, wonder why nobody else has mentioned this before... I'm sure its been discussed multiple times //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Either way though, there's not much point adding a large but rarely used new feature thats going to be obsolete hopefully fairly soon. IMO it would be better for the staff to focus their efforts on the rEEboot instead of making the current game very slightly better until then.

Wooted by: (2)
LukeM1530633671712744

Board footer