Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-04-18 03:25:51

Harmonious
Formerly jkdrip
Joined: 2015-07-27
Posts: 643

Re: What is your view on life?

For me, life is a battle of morality. I see and hear things that I consider immoral that often get me depressed, and so I try to combat them if it's within my realm of control. That also means encouraging positive behaviour to those I interact with, even though I feel rather... not positive. It's stressful.


Currently playing through: Mega Man 1-6

Listen to my in-game music! (it's pretty much all I'm good at)

Offline

Wooted by: (2)

#27 2018-04-18 15:11:06

NorwegianboyEE
Member
From: Norway
Joined: 2015-03-16
Posts: 3,457

Re: What is your view on life?

I never asked for consciousness. (Unless i had an past existence which did.)
But since that's what happened by some weird coincidence i might as well make the best of it.
So my plan is quite simple... That is to maximize the pleasure and minimize the suffering of me and others.
After a while death will come. But that doesn't bother me none. I welcome the cessation of consciousness without a care in the world. The only thing i fear and hate is pain, both physical and psychological. So until i say goodbye to this world i will live by that principle.
After death i hope i (I as an entity being defined quite loosely since dying would remove all memories and recollection of ever having existed) will never exist again and that the sun would swallow the earth and end all life. The universe should hopefully die out then, and these strange life creatures that existed on this strange planet earth reverts back to it's form of pure energy. No pain nor pleasure will ever exist then. Only eternal darkness and occasional collision of energy. That's the kind of world i want.


★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

Offline

#28 2018-04-18 17:26:46

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
From: Hell
Joined: 2015-03-31
Posts: 3,780
Website

Re: What is your view on life?

Life has no purpose or meaning. Each of our own lives is incredibly insignificant and will inevitably be forgotten. So the way I see it, if you can make someone feel like they mean something, like they have a purpose, like they belong, in such a universe where nothing will ever matter, then you're living a good life.


kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Offline

Wooted by:

#29 2018-04-19 14:02:15

Raven
Formerly Diana2003
Joined: 2015-07-04
Posts: 1,334

Re: What is your view on life?

my life is a mix of good and bad things
sometimes i hate my life
sometimes i love it
idk what to think about it rn

Offline

#30 2018-04-19 15:29:22

Tomahawk
Forum Mod
From: UK
Joined: 2015-02-18
Posts: 2,650

Re: What is your view on life?

So many negative people in here.

NorwegianboyEE wrote:

So my plan is quite simple... That is to maximize the pleasure and minimize the suffering of me and others.

That's not a plan. That's the nature of every conscious (and possibly unconscious) organism.

Whether you realise it or not, every choice you've made and will ever make is decided so as to maximise your own pleasure (in the most abstract sense of the term). Lessening of pain is perhaps also a form of pleasure.

So really you intend to do nothing at all differently.


One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Offline

#31 2018-04-19 16:36:41

hummerz5
Member
From: wait I'm not a secret mod huh
Joined: 2015-08-10
Posts: 5,841

Re: What is your view on life?

Tomahawk wrote:

That's not a plan. That's the nature of every conscious (and possibly unconscious) organism.

Whether you realise it or not, every choice you've made and will ever make is decided so as to maximise your own pleasure (in the most abstract sense of the term). Lessening of pain is perhaps also a form of pleasure.

I agree with this, but I get stuck on a certain concept. What about risking for reward? I don't mean purely gambling. Again, at the most abstract, when you risk something you're actually hoping for whatever you consider to be better.

Now what comes to mind is the stock market or casinos. But what about if you come down with the Greater Good virus or whatnot? What if a person becomes selfless and devotes their life to doing good works that otherwise are just plain detrimental to themselves?

i.e., volunteering. Or in a more extreme case, Gandhi's fasting... these things don't inherently benefit the person's pleasure.

Do we resolve this by saying that working toward a higher purpose is also a pleasure?

Offline

#32 2018-04-19 17:11:02

Emma333
Member
From: The Netherlands
Joined: 2015-04-16
Posts: 589

Re: What is your view on life?

hummerz5 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

That's not a plan. That's the nature of every conscious (and possibly unconscious) organism.

Whether you realise it or not, every choice you've made and will ever make is decided so as to maximise your own pleasure (in the most abstract sense of the term). Lessening of pain is perhaps also a form of pleasure.

I agree with this, but I get stuck on a certain concept. What about risking for reward? I don't mean purely gambling. Again, at the most abstract, when you risk something you're actually hoping for whatever you consider to be better.

Now what comes to mind is the stock market or casinos. But what about if you come down with the Greater Good virus or whatnot? What if a person becomes selfless and devotes their life to doing good works that otherwise are just plain detrimental to themselves?

i.e., volunteering. Or in a more extreme case, Gandhi's fasting... these things don't inherently benefit the person's pleasure.

Do we resolve this by saying that working toward a higher purpose is also a pleasure?

Some people find pleasure in helping others, those are the ones that volunteer. Empathy means for many people that they can not enjoy their own lifes if it means other people can’t.


Pm me with anything math related please

Offline

Wooted by: (4)

#33 2018-04-19 17:29:57, last edited by Tomahawk (2018-04-19 17:33:43)

Tomahawk
Forum Mod
From: UK
Joined: 2015-02-18
Posts: 2,650

Re: What is your view on life?

hummerz5 wrote:

What about risking for reward? I don't mean purely gambling. Again, at the most abstract, when you risk something you're actually hoping for whatever you consider to be better.

What about it? Every choice is made as best as you know how; if the outcome is pure chance, or if you have no information or experience with which to make the decision, then there's no decision-making required. It's out of your hands.

hummerz5 wrote:

What if a person becomes selfless and devotes their life to doing good works that otherwise are just plain detrimental to themselves?

For the hypothesis to work, "pleasure" must also be happiness, warmth, companionship, love, satisfaction, etc. etc. - i.e. every good feeling, or a lack of or lessening of bad feelings.

So to be appreciated for a selfless act, or to experience the pleasure in others that your selfless act creates, is pleasure. I could argue (cynically) that an entirely selfless person simply hasn't found selfish choices that bring them greater pleasure, or that to switch from selflessness to selfishness would create pain in others and therefore in that person, which they'd want to avoid.

Actively making a choice that's detrimental to you is still expected to be more pleasurable than painful.

And if you are forced to do something, doing it is - to your knowledge - more pleasurable (or less painful) than the alternative.


One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Offline

Wooted by:

#34 2018-04-19 17:33:07, last edited by Luka504 (2018-04-19 17:35:40)

Luka504
Member
From: Serbia,probs never heard of it
Joined: 2015-02-19
Posts: 2,932

Re: What is your view on life?

I like to assume that I hold more of a realist view on life. I will always appreciate life and what it has to offer, but I'm also not gonna deny that life is completely worthless in the grand scheme of things.
One day, you and everyone you care about will die. There is absolutely nothing you can do to stop it, you are guaranteed to lose the only thing you truly have - Your life.
And when you do die, nothing will change. The world will move on without you and you will be forgotten. The world is too important to care about losing you.
And even if the whole world suddenly got destroyed, it doesn't matter, since we are but a tiny drop in the large ocean we call the universe. One drop won't change the ocean. We don't matter. Nothing we do will ever matter.

But, at the same time, life is so valuable that even if you are going to lose it, it is worth having for a while. Thinking about your inevitable death won't make it go away, so you might as well make the most out of your life.
Do whatever makes you and others happy. It doesn't matter if you live out your life to the fullest or you just spend your time making deep internet forum posts that you will cringe about the next morning, if you don't believe that you are wasting your time, then you aren't wasting your time. Live life how you believe it should be lived, while staying true to your morals.


How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

Offline

#35 2018-04-19 18:20:33, last edited by SmittyW (2018-04-19 18:21:54)

SmittyW
Member
Joined: 2015-03-13
Posts: 2,084

Re: What is your view on life?

It's okay but the PKers kinda ruin it. I hope they patch that up soon. When's the Unity update?

Offline

Wooted by: (2)

#36 2018-04-21 01:23:02

hummerz5
Member
From: wait I'm not a secret mod huh
Joined: 2015-08-10
Posts: 5,841

Re: What is your view on life?

Tomahawk wrote:
hummerz5 wrote:

What about risking for reward? I don't mean purely gambling. Again, at the most abstract, when you risk something you're actually hoping for whatever you consider to be better.

What about it? Every choice is made as best as you know how; if the outcome is pure chance, or if you have no information or experience with which to make the decision, then there's no decision-making required. It's out of your hands.

hummerz5 wrote:

What if a person becomes selfless and devotes their life to doing good works that otherwise are just plain detrimental to themselves?

For the hypothesis to work, "pleasure" must also be happiness, warmth, companionship, love, satisfaction, etc. etc. - i.e. every good feeling, or a lack of or lessening of bad feelings.

So to be appreciated for a selfless act, or to experience the pleasure in others that your selfless act creates, is pleasure. I could argue (cynically) that an entirely selfless person simply hasn't found selfish choices that bring them greater pleasure, or that to switch from selflessness to selfishness would create pain in others and therefore in that person, which they'd want to avoid.

Actively making a choice that's detrimental to you is still expected to be more pleasurable than painful.

And if you are forced to do something, doing it is - to your knowledge - more pleasurable (or less painful) than the alternative.

I see. I guess a lot of this does seem to equate something like that. People do things that they hope will make them happier for whatever reason they choose to do them. (if we are on the same page)

also, this quote comes to mind but idk how relevant it is: "Well, we must be for ourselves in the long run; the mild and generous are only more justly selfish than the domineering" -- it's still selfish but in a just sense. maybe.

anywho

Offline

#37 2018-05-01 06:12:39

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Joined: 2015-02-15
Posts: 10,372
Website

Re: What is your view on life?

Thank you for all of the responses here. They give me some good insight into what people here think.

hummerz5 wrote:

Do we resolve this by saying that working toward a higher purpose is also a pleasure?

If so, then working towards a pleasure just means that people do stuff because they want to, which is less of an attitude towards life and more like basic logic. That doesn't seem like a much revolutionary idea!


everybody edits FOREVER eddd8d8a85fc6033a2a3012ae17a5b52

Offline

N1KF1525151559704733

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

[ Started around 1638025137.6887 - Generated in 0.043 seconds, 12 queries executed - Memory usage: 1.58 MiB (Peak: 1.76 MiB) ]