Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-22 04:43:26

Pingohits
Banned

Reading Comprehension Quiz for the forums

In order to prevent miscommunication and a general sense of comprehension, I suggest every new forumer be supplied an English Language and Reading Comprehension Quiz, where their final grade will determine their understanding of the English language.

The quiz will not be focused on spelling as it is simple to find the answers online. However, it is more difficult to cheat on grammar, which is why it will be the main focus. The following is a sample quiz (with notes) all forumers will take to demonstrate their ability.
---
Everybody Edits Forums English Comprehension Quiz

The following is a series of five multiple-choice and two short response questions that will demonstrate your ability in the English Language. For questions that require a choice, choose only ONE answer and type the letter in the box. You will have eight minutes to complete this quiz. Good luck!
---
The first question regards the user's ability to determine the correct tenses in a given sentence.

Which of the following words belong in the omission?
1. John picked up the ball and [ - ] it at the wall.
A. threw
B. throw
C. thrown
D. had threw

[ box for answer ]
---
The second question deals with the correct usage of "is" and "are".

Which of the following words belong in the respectave omissions?
2. The fruits [ - ] lined precariously near the edge of the roof. The apples [ - ] the first to fall.
A. is, are
B. is, is
C. are, is
D. are, are

[ box for answer ]
---
The third question deals with the correct usage of punctuation. More specifically, the difference between commas and semicolons.

Which of the respective punctuations separate the two clauses correctly?
3. What can be known is Henry's uncanny ability to identify various birds [ - ] as a result, he is regarded as an essential partner by the Ornathology Department of Westmore College.
A. a comma ( , )
B. a semicolon ( ; )
C. a colon ( : )
D. no punctuation needed

[ box for answer ]
---
The fourth question requires the user to place the correct transition word in the omission.

Which of the following words best belong in the omission?
4. The world, as Michael knew it, was a boiling sphere of impossible obstacles, fruitless indulgences, and the complete and utter grasp for aceptance. [ - ], he took this into mind as he loaded the cartridge.
A. However
B. Although
C. Nonetheless
D. Furthermore

[ box for answer ]
---
The fifth question refers to a passage of a certain text and requires the user to identify the tone. This particular excerpt is taken from "The Last Question" by Isaac Asimov.

5. Read the following excerpt and determine the tone that best describes the passage.

"He stared somberly at his small AC-contact. It was only two inches cubed and nothing in itself, but it was connected through hyperspace with the great Galactic AC that served all mankind. Hyperspace considered, it was an integral part of the Galactic AC. MQ-17J paused to wonder if someday in his immortal life he would get to see the Galactic AC. It was on a little world of its own, a spider webbing of force-beams holding the matter within which surges of submesons took the place of the old clumsy molecular valves. Yet despite its sub-etheric workings, the Galactic AC was known to be a full thousand feet across."
A. didactic and colloquial
B. pessimistic and melancholic
C. contemplative and wondrous
D. apprehensive and indignant
---
The sixth question is an analysis of the user's ability to spot spelling errors. As you've seen before, three words are purposefully misspelled. The average speaker will spot them immediately. Therefore, this question should be of no difficulty.

6. Three words above have been deliberately misspelled. Please identify them and input the CORRECT SPELLING in the box below. Separate each word with a semicolon, no spaces.

[box for answer]
---
The final question requires the user to take a jumble of words and construct them into a proper sentence. The first word must be capitalized by itself. Punctuation not included. There is more than one answer.

7. Given the following assortment of words, please construct a proper sentence using ALL of the given terms.

the | the | a | and | cow | goose | bike | sundown | rode | red

[box for answer]
---
A score of 6/7 or above is required for the ability to post on the forums. If a user fails to complete the test, they may still be able to visit, but cannot post. The quiz needs to be retaken monthly. If a user fails on the monthly quiz, they must wait one week before being able to retake the quiz.

791mAP8.png

#2 2018-03-22 04:50:46

Ratburntro44
Website

Re: Reading Comprehension Quiz for the forums

this is dumb

#3 2018-03-22 05:28:02, last edited by Abelysk (2018-03-22 16:14:20)

Abelysk

Which of the following words belong in the omission?
1. John picked up the ball and [ - ] it at the wall.
A. threw
B. throw
C. thrown
D. had threw

[ A. ]
---
The second question deals with the correct usage of "is" and "are".

Which of the following words belong in the respectave [sic] omissions?
2. The fruits [ - ] lined precariously near the edge of the roof. The apples [ - ] the first to fall.
A. is, are
B. is, is
C. are, is
D. are, are

[ D. ]
---
The third question deals with the correct usage of punctuation. More specifically, the difference between commas and semicolons.

Which of the respective punctuations separate the two clauses correctly?
3. What can be known is Henry's uncanny ability to identify various birds [ - ] as a result, he is regarded as an essential partner by the Ornathology [sic] Department of Westmore College.
A. a comma ( , )
B. a semicolon ( ; )
C. a colon ( : )
D. no punctuation needed

[ B. ]
---
The fourth question requires the user to place the correct transition word in the omission.

Which of the following words best belong in the omission?
4. The world, as Michael knew it, was a boiling sphere of impossible obstacles, fruitless indulgences, and the complete and utter grasp for aceptance [sic]. [ - ], he took this into mind as he loaded the cartridge.
A. However
B. Although
C. Nonetheless
D. Furthermore

[ C. ]
---
The fifth question refers to a passage of a certain text and requires the user to identify the tone. This particular excerpt is taken from "The Last Question" by Isaac Asimov.

5. Read the following excerpt and determine the tone that best describes the passage.

"He stared somberly at his small AC-contact. It was only two inches cubed and nothing in itself, but it was connected through hyperspace with the great Galactic AC that served all mankind. Hyperspace considered, it was an integral part of the Galactic AC. MQ-17J paused to wonder if someday in his immortal life he would get to see the Galactic AC. It was on a little world of its own, a spider webbing of force-beams holding the matter within which surges of submesons took the place of the old clumsy molecular valves. Yet despite its sub-etheric workings, the Galactic AC was known to be a full thousand feet across."
A. didactic and colloquial
B. pessimistic and melancholic
C. contemplative and wondrous
D. apprehensive and indignant

[ C. ]
---
The sixth question is an analysis of the user's ability to spot spelling errors. As you've seen before, three words are purposefully misspelled. The average speaker will spot them immediately. Therefore, this question should be of no difficulty.

6. Three words above have been deliberately misspelled. Please identify them and input the CORRECT SPELLING in the box below. Separate each word with a semicolon, no spaces.

[Respective;Ornithology;Acceptance]
---
The final question requires the user to take a jumble of words and construct them into a proper sentence. The first word must be capitalized by itself. Punctuation not included. There is more than one answer.

7. Given the following assortment of words, please construct a proper sentence using ALL of the given terms.

the | the | a | and | cow | goose | bike | sundown | rode | red
[ The sundown goose and the cow rode a red bike ]
---
A score of 6/7 or above is required for the ability to post on the forums. If a user fails to complete the test, they may still be able to visit, but cannot post. The quiz needs to be retaken monthly. If a user fails on the monthly quiz, they must wait one week before being able to retake the quiz.

#4 2018-03-22 06:58:36

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

a
d
b
c
c
respective
acceptance
ornithology
(why does this say it's not a spelling quiz but then asks about spelling)
The goose and the cow rode a red bike at sundown. (it didn't say it had to use only the words)

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

#5 2018-03-22 08:06:04

BuzzerBee
Forum Admin

i know (well i'm hoping) this isn't serious but regardless it's really vile to post something like this. people try their best to speak english and communicate with us and it's not their fault that it's not their first language. from what i've seen everyone does a pretty good job so

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

#6 2018-03-22 14:08:19

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

^ Nuu, this is for the kind of user who smashes their face against the keyboard a few times and presses Submit without even reading their post.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:

#7 2018-03-22 15:31:35

Anatoly

1. A
2. D
3. D
4. A and D
5. What?
6. —
7. The solution is already given.

#8 2018-03-22 16:06:21

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

1: A
2: D
3: B
4: C
5: C
6: Respective, acceptance & submissions. Those are the answers I assume you are looking for. Though, you also spelt ornithology wrong (you used an 'a' instead of an 'I').
7: During sundown, the boy rode a red bike past a cow and the farmer's favourite goose.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#9 2018-03-22 20:13:47

Pingohits
Banned

im gonna make a post regarding this topic as soon as i get home hold on a sec

791mAP8.png

#10 2018-03-22 23:13:53

Pingohits
Banned

There were three scenarios that could have happened as a result of this topic:
- deliberate disregard
- attempt to de-escalate the situation through a massive wave of ****
- rebuttal and apology

The easiest decision would be to let this topic sink into the second page, but that's a **** move

The second proposal required me to "Ken M" the situation until it became evident I did it for gloots and guffaws, but I already put all my strength into the creation of a religion

As a result, I apologize for the elitist implications, as it was not meant to be perceived that way. Evident from the post time, this was not written in the best state of mind. However, that is not an argument for the lack of a proper explanation. I will instead pursue a sophisticated response to Buzzerbee's reply.

BuzzerBee wrote:

i know (well i'm hoping) this isn't serious but regardless it's really vile to post something like this. people try their best to speak english and communicate with us and it's not their fault that it's not their first language. from what i've seen everyone does a pretty good job so

You are correct in your observation that this was not meant to be an effective exchange (that is, I did not expect to respond to any of the replies). Your reasoning in users trying their best to speak English is accurate, but the following statement is where I dissent. Most people do not perform a good job at being comprehensible, and from certain posts in Game and Graphic Suggestions, it usually turns into ad hominem attacks (you dislike my graphics because you hate me personally!). Miscommunication is ubiquitous. Quote trees do not follow the previous response. If you require specific posts that demonstrate these aspects, I will privately message you since I do not want to single anyone out.

A counter to my statement would regard the "Generalization Fallacy", where I had picked a few...vocal users and stemmed my argument from there. It is true that I was influenced by a small minority, but the difference between foreigners that try to get their point across and those that don't is conspicuous. This topic is made for those that don't. I often see posts that question the literacy of another, and this tells me something about the state of discussion. If we are not able to hold discourse without miscommunication, then it would only make matters increasingly difficult.

Again, I completely agree that many non-English users are trying their best to get the message across. When it shifts into complete ignorance in acknowledging their mistakes, it becomes a problem. The user no longer attempts to improve their skills. They are already set on the fact that their English is comprehensible when in truth it the contrary. Because of this, it is sometimes difficult to correct their mistakes, as they see it as insults and verbal attacks. They are miscommunicating miscommunication.

I am not implying you are bad at your job since you are a moderator and should have noticed these things...I do see your point of view in terms of the contempt people may hold against this topic. It seems as if I am creating a discriminatory border between English speakers and non-English speakers. This, in turn, will blacklist anyone who does not speak a certain level of sophistication, which consequently prevents them from learning better English through peer review and passing the quiz. I also came up with a Catch-22 for this situation, where:

The forums develop the competency of your English skills, but in order to post on the forums, you must be competent in the English language.

This further promotes the idea that a comprehension quiz is not the best suggestion and may negatively impact the forums.

791mAP8.png

Wooted by: (2)

#11 2018-03-22 23:23:58, last edited by Slabdrill (2018-03-22 23:24:10)

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

A
D
B
C
C
respective;acceptance;Ornithology
The cow and the goose rode a red sundown bike

*note: sundown may be an adjective.*