Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-13 11:21:56

TheEpicCowOfLife
Brand New Member

Gravity switchers experience a bit of lag

So living in Australia, I tend to have quite high ping. I've also noticed that the gravity switchers get affected by my ping, taking a quarter of a second to switch gravity sometimes. This makes some of the minis in the relativity campaign relatively impossible (Ha. See what I did there? =P)
I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar problem, and if the gravity switchers could be made client-side instead of server-side.

Thanks =P

#2 2018-03-13 12:55:33

LukeM
Website

Re: Gravity switchers experience a bit of lag

I brought this up with Emalton/John back when they owned the game, but after some discussion the team came to the conclusion that as it's possible that some levels rely on this odd behaviour, it shouldn't be changed. (Personally I think it would be fine, but oh well //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad)

I guess depending on what the team decides to do about the reboot / UnitEE / HTMLFivEE, it might be fixed then though... We'll just have to hope //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#3 2018-03-13 14:38:54, last edited by Gosha (2018-03-13 14:39:23)

Gosha

The thing is..  It's actually clientside. Because of ee's lag code execution can be delayed (even milliseconds matter,  because it's physics). Small differences in values lead to huge differences in the outcome

#4 2018-03-13 16:00:23

LukeM
Website

Gosha wrote:

The thing is..  It's actually clientside. Because of ee's lag code execution can be delayed (even milliseconds matter,  because it's physics). Small differences in values lead to huge differences in the outcome

I'm pretty sure its more complicated than that...
IIRC its handled partly client side, and partly server side, with some special logic for each or something

#5 2018-03-13 16:13:37

Gosha

LukeM wrote:

IIRC its handled partly client side, and partly server side, with some special logic for each or something

No, it's purely clientside for you. And others.
The only thing server does is giving you information who got and lost the gravity effect.

You can test it:
Create a gravity afk like this
w4d3YCG.png
If you afk there with a different player you'll see this effect
18XsXki.gif
But this will never happen to you.

This indicates that server sends you gravity effect's state of others to you, but your gravity effect is totally client-sided

#6 2018-03-13 16:42:49

peace

LukeM wrote:

I brought this up with Emalton/John back when they owned the game, but after some discussion the team came to the conclusion that as it's possible that some levels rely on this odd behaviour, it shouldn't be changed. (Personally I think it would be fine, but oh well //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad)

I guess depending on what the team decides to do about the reboot / UnitEE / HTMLFivEE, it might be fixed then though... We'll just have to hope //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

solution: add an option to chnage this

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#7 2018-03-13 17:20:56

Gosha

peace wrote:
LukeM wrote:

solution: add an option to chnage this

The worst solution could be is adding option for something.

Then you'll want an option for default jump height
Then you'll want an option for players to be spawned 5 blocks down to the spawner and then teleport back because you store your effects there
Then you'll want an option to control brightness of your level
Then you'll want an option to set player's smileys
Then you'll want an option for players to have edit only for X blocks and then regain that ability every X seconds

And you can continue this list. This is not a control panel. The game should have universal rules and laws

#8 2018-03-13 18:24:35, last edited by LukeM (2018-03-13 18:25:16)

LukeM
Website

Gosha wrote:

No, it's purely clientside for you. And others.
The only thing server does is giving you information who got and lost the gravity effect.

You can test it:
Create a gravity afk like this

I'm pretty sure theres something server-side going on too...

Try this test:

blocks
up grav effect
down grav effect

(big-ish space)

up grav effect
down grav effect
blocks

You (rarely) briefly switch back to down gravity after you jumped up, so fall back down from the ceiling, or the other way round, which would suggest you are re-recieving the down grav message a fraction of a second later

World used to explain the bug / fix to Emalton, then Emalton showing the bug to the team: PWThEinPm5cEI

#9 2018-03-13 19:09:47, last edited by Gosha (2018-03-13 19:10:23)

Gosha

I found the cause of the problem. Added some debug to the client and got these results:
HMYifVD.png

I also removed server-side logic from the client and it worked flawlessly.

There are 2 ways of fixing it:
1) server-side logic
When server receives a package it broadcasts it to all players in the current world.
They should instead broadcast it to everybody except for you. You don't need it.

2) client-side logic
Ignore packages from the server for the current user
97KTIZS.png

#10 2018-03-13 19:16:41

LukeM
Website

Gosha wrote:

Yep, thats what I suggested to Emalton (although I did it through logic instead of code)

#11 2018-03-14 06:58:21

TheEpicCowOfLife
Brand New Member

Oh... I'm so new I can't even post images...  Looks like I'll have to articulate with words

Amazing! I didn't know that there would be so many responses in such a short time!
Anyways, here was the level I was having trouble with, Gravitational Towers Coin #4 (you've gotten coin #3, and now to do coin #4)
On the third gravity switch, it either doesn't switch at all until I hit the portals, or it switches just a tad too late. However, I have dug up an unintended solution which works. There was also another level near the end of the tier 2 level that seemed a little finicky just because of the lag involved.

Wooted by:

#12 2018-03-14 09:01:25

peace

Gosha wrote:

Then you'll want an option for default jump height
Then you'll want an option for players to be spawned 5 blocks down to the spawner and then teleport back because you store your effects there
Then you'll want an option to control brightness of your level
Then you'll want an option to set player's smileys
Then you'll want an option for players to have edit only for X blocks and then regain that ability every X seconds

• we have jump effect

• why?

• i dont see why but ok..?

• that pain let playersw choose their own smiley

• okay that actualy is not bad but i dont see why

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#13 2018-03-14 09:03:35

Gosha

peace wrote:

we have jump effect