Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-11 19:30:15

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

I've never struggled so much in making levels

I sincerely don't know how I could reach this level of disinterest. I'm completely out of ideas for any level. I can't think on anything new, and I feel unmotivated to even work on my unfinished projects.

Whenever I feel like working on something, I instantly lose inspiration because of the fear that the level will not get attention, and will instead get negative feedback, based off the hate I received long ago with my towers. This has already happened with a series of bot-assisted levels that I wanted to make long ago, which, only by having tower design, were criticized destructively.

Long ago, on Discord, I started a poll asking which of my old projects should I finish, or if I should just trash all of them, and like I expected, most of the votes were for me to not finish anything.

While the poll had the flaw of not having an option for a whole new project, the majority still voting for me to not make anything led me to think for a moment that I'm simply not the appropriate person to build worlds on EE.

I want to make something completely new to me, but I don't want to make something that people won't like, which is why I made this topic. I'd like you to simply answer these questions, in a well detailed way.

• What would you like to see from me? Whole new projects or my old proper-style levels?

• What new things can I try, or what old things can I improve?

• Based off my old projects, which do you think is my potential as a level creator?

• Should I really try to make something, or just completely resign to level creation?

I'll try to use the answers in the most positive way for my next level, if I get to make one. For too long have I wanted to make a popular level, but I'm not going to tolerate this negative criticism anymore. It's all up to you to decide my future as a level creator.

#2 2018-03-11 21:06:05

Luka504

Re: I've never struggled so much in making levels

I think your biggest issue is that you are relying too much on other people for answers. Sure it's good to listen to what other's say, since then you know where you need to improve, but I think you are taking it a bit too far. Just build whatever you desire.
The reason your tower levels get criticized a lot isn't because they are bad levels in general, but you just make so many tower world that they start wearing thin, kinda like when Hollywood cranks out unnecessary sequels to films that don't need them. And personally, I agree with them, you have made so many tower worlds that you drained all of the originallity that you could've put into it. It's gotten to the point where I don't know any other worlds you have built other than the tower series.
If you want to make a new and creative world, you need new and creative ideas. Stop making tower levels, get out there and learn what makes a truly good level.
Don't quit building if it is something you love to do.
Anyway, good luck. Hope you make the decision that is right for you.

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

#3 2018-03-11 21:40:33

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

I haven't relied on other people's feedback until now. In fact, I've barely received feedback for any of my projects. I've been able to build what I like, regardless of the huge amount of negative comments I received in the past.

I agree that I've made way too many towers, but the real trouble I've had with them is that so many players refused to play the new levels only because the first tower was bad, and then decided to judge all the series based off it. I hoped that the new towers would change their vision of what the towers were meant to be, but it simply doesn't look like so.

Creativity is something I've always had, but never took advantage of. I'm not going to make the same generic arrow mini-games that everybody makes. I want to achieve full dynamism with my worlds. I feel more skilled with infinite dynamic levels than the common adventure levels. I had started a series of cool bot-assisted levels, such as multiplayer battle (EE Arena), a reflex-test automated boss, a capture the flag level with changing obstacles every day. The reason I never finished them is because of the concern that my bad reputation created by my tower levels would cause none to play them.

That concern still persists, and is what made me create this topic.

#4 2018-03-11 22:01:54

Xfrogman43

HG wrote:

The reason I never finished them is because of the concern that my bad reputation created by my tower levels would cause none to play them.

i dont play levels, but ive only seen you post about your tower levels, maybe if you made a different kind of level people would try it out at least. maybe you arent meant to make tower-based levels

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

Wooted by:

#5 2018-03-11 22:09:26

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

Xfrogman43 wrote:

maybe you arent meant to make tower-based levels

What else would I have been meant to make? I was open to making anything else than continuing the series, but people weren't.

#6 2018-03-12 02:04:55

Anak

I think you should create for yourself. You can be both your own critic and creator, and I think that always comes before what someone else wants to do with your work. Validation from others is always an added plus, but if you're not receiving it, don't let it dishearten you. If people don't want to play your levels because of one opinion they've formed, that's their own fault. People's opinions of what you do will always be secondary to your own.

Wooted by: (2)

#7 2018-03-12 22:43:19

Lictor666

mak tower 9

Wooted by: (4)

#8 2018-03-13 08:02:56

peace

HG wrote:

and I feel unmotivated to even work on my unfinished projects.

same i have hundreds (yes im not lying at this point not sarcasm now) of unfinished worlds

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#9 2018-03-13 19:34:33

kreacher

I advise you to just build a world that you are happy with yourself and that you think is creative and fun. I myself have lots of WIP worlds and I try not to think too much about what other people will like rather than what I think is best. I agree with Luka, maybe switch to something else apart from your tower worlds unless you've already started making one in which case you can make it your final tower level. Also, I find that collabs are also good for level making as it makes your worlds diverse and takes less time to make and if your not good at one aspect of world building e.g. art then they can do it for you.

MQneHSv.png

Est. December 2010

Wooted by:
kreacher1520966073698896

Board footer