Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-20 13:47:45, last edited by LukeM (2018-01-20 15:03:48)

LukeM
Website

What's bad / good about EE

Discussions in this topic led me to think about what the current problems with EE are, so I thought I'd make a topic for discussing general problems with EE and possible solutions to them.

So here's a list of what I think are the main problems with EE:

First is probably hostility. The EE community is quite small, which means that some people aren't very accepting of new players, and end up acting a bit hostile towards them. The worst thing is probably guest kicking, I've seen a lot of people kick guests as soon as they join, which probably turns away a lot of new players who might have otherwise enjoyed the game.

Second is similar to what was being discussed in the campaign topic, the focus moving away from creating worlds and towards playing worlds. I don't think campaigns are the main cause of it, but I do still think it is a problem. A possible solution to this would be to make your own worlds (and the create an open world button) more visible in the lobby, as I think this would make creating worlds feel more accessible and less like something experienced players do.

The third is something we can't really do anything about as a member of the community, but I think I should still include as it's very important. The lag. This means that a huge number of people with low end computers are completely shut off from the game, and those who can just about run it have a fairly bad (and usually annoying) experience.

What do you think? Do you agree or do you think something completely different is the cause?

tl;dr; The main problems I can think of are hostility towards new players, less focus on the sandbox aspects of the game, and the lag. Discuss.

#2 2018-01-20 14:06:51

bgic

Re: What's bad / good about EE

bad = everything
good = HELp

guys help how to mark all new posts as read?

nvm found it lol

#3 2018-01-20 15:38:45, last edited by drunkbnu (2018-01-20 15:40:14)

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

The problem to me isn't the huge amount of new features that slowly differentiate this game from a normal sandbox game, but all the people that complain about them, either because of faulty implementations or because they simply don't like them, without giving improvement suggestions (destructive criticism).

Wooted by: (2)

#4 2018-01-20 17:28:57

Anatoly

My dancing teacher told me, that good is the sister of "bad". After dancing good, everything hurts and it's bad, but if after the dancing competition everything doesn't hurt, then you have danced bad.

GOOD = BAD

#5 2018-01-20 18:59:37

hummerz5

bgic wrote:

bad = everything
good = HELp

AnatolyEE wrote:

My dancing teacher told me, that good is the sister of "bad". After dancing good, everything hurts and it's bad, but if after the dancing competition everything doesn't hurt, then you have danced bad.

GOOD = BAD

please keep things relevant

.... I can't decide if the amount of worlds with one/two players in them is greater or less than the share of the same a couple years ago. I just remember at one point I could make a stairs level and people would actually play it for some reason :b

#6 2018-01-20 19:15:22

Harmonious
Formerly jkdrip

I think a large reason why the community is as small as it is, is because EE doesn't get a lot of traffic. I've never met someone irl that has heard of this game. And as far as I'm aware, Kongregate is probably the easiest way to find out about this game (and EE isn't very popular there anymore, either). Not to mention flash and browser games are dying. If EE is getting such low amounts of traffic AND is unwelcoming of newer players, the only players left are going to be people that have been playing for a long time.

That's why I think Steam should be the main goal for EE. By getting on Steam, EE would be getting the traffic of a much larger community than it's ever seen before. And I think it's been proven by now that while updating the game keeps veteran players active (somewhat), it doesn't attract any new attention.

Currently playing through: Mega Man 1-6

Listen to my in-game music! (it's pretty much all I'm good at)

#7 2018-01-20 20:07:08, last edited by Napakeun (2018-01-20 20:09:18)

Napakeun
Formerly goodsmile

Another bad thing about ee:

Open worlds today are completely disregarded. They could be improved so much more, make them feel more "valuable". Now they are just hidden somewhere in the lobby... Many aren't aware of their potential, but I truly believe that if we give more attention to them, things could turn to the better.

And I'm talking about some bigger changes, where campaigns aren't necessarily a big part of a game anymore (though I still believe campaigns should be removed or reintroduced in a better system) but open worlds are the biggest part of the game or at least as equal to saved worlds.

Open worlds are special because if you build a "win to code" world, players know they have a chance of getting an edit code. However, the winning emotion you get after getting edit is different than in a saved world. Players are aware that the open world doesn't belong  to anyone - no one has control over edit rights and there are no world settings. I think in this case players get a sense of freedom and it makes them feel more powerful as it takes only one player to troll the entire world.
Personally, I enjoy taking the risk of my open world being trolled, honestly. It gives me thrill and excitement to play. And when it does get trolled, I think to myself what a great play time session it was, leave the world and just move on you know.
Open worlds are meant to be born and die anyway. It's a circle of life :3

Wooted by: (3)

#8 2018-01-20 23:29:20

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

jkdrip wrote:

I've never met someone irl that has heard of this game.

The whole reason I started playing EE again after originally drifting away from it was because one day my best friend decided to tell me all about this amazing game he had just found called EE. It was honestly a **** miracle that someone else IRL for me had found the game. He stopped playing like 2 months afterwards but at least I got back into it //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue (probably permanently).

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Wooted by:

#9 2018-01-21 00:22:45

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Good: some of the community.
Bad: the rest of the community.

But there's an old saying: "the better is the enemy of the good". We forget to enjoy something because we're too busy criticising its faults.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#10 2018-01-21 11:41:24

peace

lets give guests more abilitys liek let hem read chat and sned small messages (like 50 cars long orso) so they can play bot levels and saysomethign baot the game

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#11 2018-01-21 12:17:35

Anatoly

Bad: In the community staid bullies.
Good: Forums are active an offer interesting discussions.

#12 2018-01-21 13:02:36

Offensive Ray
Formerly omarabdulhaq

I suppose the game is enjoyable, met many nice friends at the game, the game made me into art more, I tried learning programming once, but I stopped because I didn't have much time, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to learn programming anymore, I'm still looking forward it.

I think the worst thing about this game is the bad management of it, adding staff and removing others and others quit.. Much drama.. Else I think the game is fine.

Offensive Ray1516536156693284

Board footer