Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-06 02:43:50, last edited by drunkbnu (2018-01-06 02:47:20)

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

The Misuse of a Word

TRIGGER WARNING

Wooted by: (2)

#2 2018-01-06 02:45:14

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Re: The Misuse of a Word

Agree is bad should ban

Discord: jawp#5123

Wooted by:

#3 2018-01-06 02:53:11

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

This topic is pretty gay.

gLjTZE1.png

#4 2018-01-06 03:02:44

rat
Formerly eleizibeth

i think you have to understand literally every competent person knows what gay means

Wooted by:

#5 2018-01-06 03:04:35

LukeM
Website

Not sure about other people, but a lot of people I know irl say it ironically (I think that's the right word), I guess sort of mocking people who are using it seriously (they also do the same for other derogatory terms)

#6 2018-01-06 03:07:07, last edited by Zoey2070 (2018-01-06 03:08:19)

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

HG wrote:

my avatar of my dream love

(this is such a weird thing to say to be honest)

but yeah, it's **** weird and extremely outdated to use gay as an insult or whatever. it's **** boring and just gross, man.

so if you use the word gay in a way that doesn't mean homosexual: stop. you look like an idiot and a complete child. all it does is lessen other people's opinions of you.

ZeldaXD wrote:

This topic is pretty gay.

this is why i hate the ee community. someone has a legitimate complaint so someone else makes a stupid **** comment exactly what the topic's complaining about because they think they're funny.

anyways... just tell them that having amy as your avatar is literally the opposite of gay

(or make fun of them for being dumb)

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

#7 2018-01-06 03:16:16

Xfrogman43

HG wrote:

I can't keep up. I'm so annoyed by all the wrong uses of the word "gay" in the forums and game that I can't even write this topic without wanting to yell or using offensive words.

take a deep breath. its just a word, if you get offended by it then you are stupid.

HG wrote:

For absolutely any act that somehow resembles feminine behavior, people have to call each other "gay", without even knowing the true meaning of the word. They only use it offensively.

Most people do this with a bunch of words, "****", "****", "****" yet you pick out the least offensive, "gay"

HG wrote:

I've been called like that so many times on Discord because of my avatar of my dream love.

get over it, people on the internet are gay and like to call other people gay

HG wrote:

As if using an avatar of a feminine character made me love men. That's one of the most stupid reasons I've ever seen of the use of "gay"

i agree this never makes sense but since when did people care about making sense.

HG wrote:

The avatar might make me look girly, but I remain heterosexual.

stick to this if that is who you truly are.

HG wrote:

The word use is simply invalid.

then why are you offended?

HG wrote:

Another great example of the word being misused is this topic. People using the word as a joke. For them it might be funny but to me it's simply annoying.

like i said before, people use a bunch of words as "jokes" with their friends or hiding behind a username on the internet, its just going to happen so you need to man up and deal with it.

HG wrote:

What are your opinions on this?

i use "gay" all the time because its just been a habit. I don't say it to people in this community but to my IRL friends for no particular reason. hard to get out of a habit when you're socially awakward and have no idea what to say

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

Wooted by:

#8 2018-01-06 03:32:49, last edited by some woman (2018-01-06 03:32:57)

some woman

Xfrogman43 wrote:
HG wrote:

I can't keep up. I'm so annoyed by all the wrong uses of the word "gay" in the forums and game that I can't even write this topic without wanting to yell or using offensive words.

take a deep breath. its just a word, if you get offended by it then you are stupid.

Hm, so words can't be offensive. Cool. Does that mean I get to hurl racial slurs at whoever I want now?

10 years and still awkward. Keep it up, baby!

Wooted by:

#9 2018-01-06 03:36:47

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

You need a very high IQ to understand all the nuances of the word 'gay'.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#10 2018-01-06 03:37:51

rat
Formerly eleizibeth

some man wrote:
Xfrogman43 wrote:
HG wrote:

Hm, so words can't be offensive. Cool. Does that mean I get to hurl racial slurs at whoever I want now?

hell yeah you can (if you don't mind being banned or smth)

#11 2018-01-06 03:41:02

HeyNK

well if you think about it makes sense. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

#12 2018-01-06 03:41:46, last edited by Xfrogman43 (2018-01-06 03:42:16)

Xfrogman43

some man wrote:
Xfrogman43 wrote:
HG wrote:

I was talking about this word, not other words, but yes i understand how that was confusing. now you know

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

#13 2018-01-06 04:10:49

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

some man wrote:

If by 'at whoever you want' you mean anyone regardless of race, then it wouldn't be offensive depending on context.

gLjTZE1.png

#14 2018-01-06 04:17:49

Bimps

Zoey2070 wrote:

this is why i hate the ee community.

then leave. why did you come back if you are just gonna say this

#15 2018-01-06 04:42:57, last edited by Guest. (2018-01-06 04:49:53)

Guest.

what i dont get is how heterosexuals get more offended by the word than homo/bisexuals

i understand you can get triggered by the misuse of the word but honestly who tf cares mate

also number 1 rule of insults: dont get offended
you acknowledge that its being used in the wrong way, therefore it means nothing

when i get insulted i dont retaliate, i play along to **** with em

EDIT: visual demonstration
unknown.png

Wooted by: (4)

#16 2018-01-06 09:31:08, last edited by mutantdevle (2018-01-06 09:32:57)

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

zyhrllos wrote:

what i dont get is how heterosexuals get more offended by the word than homo/bisexuals

If I had a pound for every time a heterosexual got offended by homophobia then I’d be able to move to America and afford the highest quality conversation therapy.

Personally, I find blatant homophobia hilarious (on the Internet / in words). Mainly because whenever it’s used it devalues the statement being made and people stop taking the homophobe seriously. The recent topics that probably inspired this one show that perfectly and they certainly gave me a few chuckles.

I think it’s beautiful how things such as racism, homophobia and sexism, in a modern first world society, are no longer taken so seriously. Of course, there are regions of the world and our own society that still enforce this bigotry, but if you are ever in a situation where what’s being said can’t be laughed at then I highly doubt being offended will help. Campaign for rights, educate others, support laws and politicians protecting rights and stick up for others when you see them legitimately victimised. But being offended won’t help anyone. Here, we have the luxury of laughing at bigotry. That’s progress imo, not something to be criticised.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#17 2018-01-06 12:15:59

Emma333

As a gay person I use gay a lot ironically. I don’t think in English language gay is really an offensive word, just used as joke which I agree is kind of stupid. In my own language I don’t like using the word for gay because that word does feel gross and like an insult to me. In my country I think the word is used in more offensive ways which has made it ugly.

Pm me with anything math related please

Wooted by:

#18 2018-01-06 14:20:28, last edited by Tomahawk (2018-01-06 14:45:27)

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Many words take on multiple meanings, and this is one of them. You can complain about the etymology of its use as an insult, but don’t assume that everyone who uses it must be homophobic. It is still an insult though, so I guess you could try reporting people if it bothers you.

Gotta stay up to date with language or one day you’ll get offended by a curse word that’s morphed into a compliment.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:

#19 2018-01-06 16:07:34

Anatoly

https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … p?id=41342

I noted in my language (Anatoly’s English Cover) that you could make a typo (gay, guy), but I was laughed at. Thanks for pointing it out.

#20 2018-01-06 19:59:53

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

being one of the people that use this word rather often i cant miss the chance to post in this topic //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
in 99% of the cases i use the word "gay" as a plain insult without any sexual orientation context behind that. just like all the other insult words that im using. i actually dont remember when was the last time i used the word "gay" in its literal meaning. i guess you could assume that by equating word "gay" with other negative words and insults i am offending homosexual people. well, sometimes people put a meaning behind their words that is different from what is defined by the dictionary. it's a habit. and i'm not going to stop it just because it makes the anti-homophobes of this forum foam at the mouth. i sincerely don't care if you think that misusing "gay" as a plain insult makes me a homophobe.

hint: perhaps you should grow a thicker skin, internet will be always like this and you're not going to make a new rant post each time someone misuses a word like that //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

TaskManager1515265193690936

Board footer