Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2016-03-13 20:09:03

Schlog

Re: Add these two things to the censor (OH YEAH ? ? VICTORY OH YEAH!)

n1kf you try way too hard to moderate lol

Wooted by: (5)

#27 2016-03-13 20:44:43

Prodigy

I see no point of this. Case Closed.

h0qIF0q.png

#28 2016-03-13 21:56:46

Pingohits
Banned

Prodigy wrote:

I see no point of this. Case Closed.

case opened we're not done yet

censoring acronyms are a bad idea; there's a reason why they are acronyms

791mAP8.png

#29 2016-03-13 22:01:07

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

N1KF wrote:

Certain acronyms that contain swear words—anybody can just look them up so having censors in the first place is pointless

i mean, it's logical for them to be censored i suppose. i kinda disagree (on a personal level) but i gotta admit it makes sense.

A certain word that starts with A—even the forum censors it

i'm actually surprised that it isn't censored. so, yeah, i agree to this.

Pingohits wrote:

censoring acronyms are a bad idea; there's a reason why they are acronyms

because they're shorter and faster to type?

so basically i agree. if censors are optional, why should it matter to anyone in this topic, since most of them have censors turned off anyways? it's not gonna affect you lol

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

Wooted by:

#30 2016-03-13 23:04:07

Anak

Zoey2070 wrote:

if censors are optional, why should it matter to anyone in this topic, since most of them have censors turned off anyways? it's not gonna affect you lol

tbh

Only if it insults someone really, like if someone does say stfu. That's literally the only one I can think of though so idk why you're pushing it.

#31 2016-03-13 23:46:50

Prodigy

Fine, If you don't want to hear people swear because you are do sensitive then just turn on filter so you could stop reading it (I hope this was helpful).
But like having acronyms is somewhat of a good idea but there is like on point to others (especially parents who check on their precious ones).

h0qIF0q.png

#32 2017-10-22 22:19:10

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

N1KF wrote:

A certain word that starts with A—even the forum censors it

I'm going to suggest this again since nobody's given me a reason besides "you care too much." If anybody uses this as another excuse to take cheap shots at me I'm going to be disappointed in this community.

#33 2017-10-22 22:35:07

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

You care too much for a dead game.

#34 2017-10-22 23:17:45

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

HG wrote:

Well, I'm glad I care more than those without hope.

#35 2017-10-22 23:41:18

Guest.

HG wrote:

haha omg this game is dead!!

brb gonna keep plAyiNG AND WORK ON MY REMAkE

Wooted by: (4)

#36 2017-10-23 05:00:04, last edited by Master1 (2017-10-23 05:00:50)

Master1

N1KF wrote:

I'm going to suggest this again since nobody's given me a reason besides "you care too much." If anybody uses this as another excuse to take cheap shots at me I'm going to be disappointed in this community.

ok here's a reason:

Anything can become an acronym.

For example: as of now on, "afk" means "**** **** kids"

so if someone says "I'm going afk" it means they're going to **** **** some kids.

I guess we gotta go censor "afk" now

Understand why this is stupid yet(?)

Literally anything, including common as **** phrases can be turned into an inappropriate acronym. MEANING if we did your idea we'd eventually have to censor everything.

nicktoot.pngnicktoot.pngnicktoot.png

Wooted by: (4)

#37 2017-10-23 05:29:01, last edited by N1KF (2017-10-24 01:58:37)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Master1, I think that's a weak argument. Certain acronyms are understood by most people to be imprecations, while some obscure term you come up randomly won't. I'd be willing to guess that over 98% of acronyms sent in-game meant to come across as having a swear word end up falling into fewer than twenty different acronyms.

That same logic means that any single word could mean something offensive. Words require wide usage, otherwise they aren't considered words. If a word is widely used offensively (either in an insulting way, or a way considered family-unfriendly by most white people cultures), censoring it will help the game out by providing a filter for those who need it. Saying that any single word should be censored just because a single person (or just a small group of people) thinks it's offensive is silly even by my standards. Thank you for sharing your concern, though.

Edit: I don't understand why people keep wooting that post. Is anybody here willing to explain?

#38 2017-11-21 04:01:55

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

We still don't have an official response on this, particularly the A-word issue.

#39 2017-11-21 05:24:09

Master1

Probably because this entire topic is stupid and doesn't deserve an official response

nicktoot.pngnicktoot.pngnicktoot.png

#40 2017-11-21 05:41:18, last edited by N1KF (2017-11-21 06:47:36)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Master1 wrote:

Probably because this entire topic is stupid and doesn't deserve an official response

I don't have any context for what you said so I'll go with my own gut. If I got something wrong, please let me know.

This topic is not stupid. The A-word is considered offensive by many moderns standards. Content ratings for television, film, and video games will all take that word into account as a somewhat offensive word. Unlike my usual more extreme opinions on swearing, I genuinely think it's an agreeable opinion that the A-word should be considered for filtering.

People of all ages (well, mainly just children and teenagers) with different values play this game and we need to consider that. Your attitude is not helpful and I encourage you to look into that more. This topic has been filled with mockery and strawman arguments and I'm sad to see people in the community be like this.

#41 2017-11-21 09:00:41

azurepudding

aren't acronyms a way of censoring?

also censoring these can make offensive messages appear even MORE offensive.  "Hey stfu" would become "Hey ****" which could be taken a number of different ways.

Azure2.png

Wooted by:

#42 2017-11-21 11:30:13

Xfrogman43

when you make topics like this nobody can take you seriously. you arent the most-serious forum member here so its kind of hard when you are trying to be serious. i read most if not all of your post as if you are just saying words for no reason or being sarcastic and everything you say is a joke.

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

Wooted by:

#43 2017-11-21 23:09:25

Pingohits
Banned

n1kf you have to understand you're part of the extremely small minority that opposes swear words. I am not implying your argument is irrelevant; it is simply difficult for you to convince other people to agree with your argument. I acknowledge your point in which EE involves small children, but this brings yet another debate in which I would not mention as to avoid tangents.

Personally, society has become much more accepting of swear words; vocabulary in the 1950s are much tamer compared to what you hear now. Back then, F-bombs were usually restricted to sailors and drunks, but now I hear it all the time. Just yesterday I heard a mom shout, "****!" when she dropped her keys, and her daughter was standing at the door to their house. I expected some sort of shock, but what I noticed was more or less a lackluster, "wow nice mom".

You can censor acronyms. I play without censors anyway. But that's not going to change the behavior of players if you're going for that kind of solution.

791mAP8.png

Wooted by: (2)

#44 2017-11-22 00:21:40

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Xfrogman43 wrote:

when you make topics like this nobody can take you seriously. you arent the most-serious forum member here so its kind of hard when you are trying to be serious.

If I saw Onjit make a serious topic about problems in this game have I would take it seriously because it must be serious if he's not being sarcastic or a memelord. Similarly, Pingohits's post here comes across as very genuine to me because he's not joking for once.

i read most if not all of your post as if you are just saying words for no reason or being sarcastic and everything you say is a joke.

Well, I checked my most recent posts and it seems most of them weren't meant sarcastically. Poe's Law can make some of my sincere posts look sarcastic. I was interested in this though so I analyzed my last fifty posts (excluding the two anonymous ones) based on sincerity level.

My post sincerity thingy
Pingohits wrote:

Personally, society has become much more accepting of swear words; vocabulary in the 1950s are much tamer compared to what you hear now.

True, but you could make the same argument towards nudity, yet nobody here as far as I know is making that argument. (If anything, I think some imprecations are more offensive than nudity based on the words' meanings alone but that's for another discussion.) If people don't like the filters they can stop using them.

#45 2017-11-22 13:16:53

Offensive Ray
Formerly omarabdulhaq

I think I don't really understand your point N1KF..
Did you mean instead of saying STFU the word censor would put it ST*U?
Or something similar?

Wooted by:

#46 2017-11-22 17:58:37

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Oray wrote:

That's a good idea which would solve the problem AzurePudding brought up. Of course, it would take more programming to make an acronym filter but I can't imagine it's too hard to do.

#47 2017-11-22 18:11:04

medeia
Banned

We should ban the word What, It rhymes with **** so I'm

CONTENT WARNING

g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif

#48 2017-11-22 18:54:20

peace

N1KF wrote:
Oray wrote:

That's a good idea which would solve the problem AzurePudding brought up. Of course, it would take more programming to make an acronym filter but I can't imagine it's too hard to do.

everyone would know its an F so why code it?

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

Wooted by:

#49 2017-11-22 19:36:21

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

peace wrote:
N1KF wrote:
Oray wrote:

everyone would know its an F so why code it?

That's an exaggeration, so my point still stands.

Wooted by:

#50 2018-01-14 21:59:04

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

In all the time that has passed, has anybody heard any official responses to this?

N1KF1516142924692693

Board footer