Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-11 06:21:51

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

Ideas for EE's longevity in the long term

EE is, according to a lot of people, dead. It has less players now than it ever has. Chances are that one day, there will be no one online, and not just because of a server outage or new update. I've been thinking a bit on how EE could exist without any active players. Or, I suppose, more on how to build a memorial for what EE used to be. A way for it to last regardless of player.io, admins, the apocalypse, whatever.

The number one thing I can think of is an offline version that works without any servers.

Secondly, a way to access worlds, again, without a server. I think one of the ways would be to have levels "built into" the offline version. (another option could even be selling levels as DLC or something ridiculous idk)
This would probably also involve an offline editor as well; maybe have a "single player mode" by beating campaigns to allow people to unlock most blocks rather than using energy. Alternatively, just let all packs be free. Because really, who cares anymore?

Most games with level editors have a way to input text that translates to a level like so:

aGVsbG8gc2ltb24gaXMgdmVyeSBjdXRlIGFuZCBpIGxvdmUgaGltIG9rIGJ5ZS4gdGhpcyBpcyBzdXBwb3NlZCB0byBiZSBhbiBleGFtcGxlIGZvciBsZXZlbCBlZGl0b3JzIG9yIHdoYXRldmVyIGkgZG9uJ3Qga25vdy4g

then this would turn into some cool world or something.

(an example of this is spewer)

If ee were to implement this, a level can be accessed without a) an internet connection b) a level link, and c) as long as you have a copy of the game and the code, you can play it. Even if that's ten years from now.

But ee is, at its core, a multiplayer game: that's what it was built upon. If you take the servers out of it, then it wouldn't be EE anymore.

HOWEVER, an alternative to the server relying on player.io is something like how minecraft used to be, or how openrct2 is: relying on a host to host the world, and having other people connect to them. This way, multiple people could play/build together just like they can now. And if they wanted to play a different map, you could just load a different one or something via a long code or whatever.

This way, EE could survive without maintenance, updates, or a constant stream of people online.

tl;dr:
- offline version
- levels made out of string
- player-hosted servers

thoughts/opinions?

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

#2 2017-11-11 06:41:18

SmittyW

Re: Ideas for EE's longevity in the long term

Offline ee is boring imo. Anyone could make it though if they really wanted to. Atilla already has a world database so i'm sure an offline client could be made that loads those maps.

I think ripping player.io out and changing the netcode would be too drastic in addition to porting it from flash. You might as well make a new game. It's been nearly a decade since all these sandbox genre types (minecraft, terraria, ee) were released. I'd be glad if someone started a new project that I can explore.

Wooted by:

#3 2017-11-11 11:34:16

peace

ee needs a sever to send packets like movements ect how will this work? and where does ee save all data/files? and what about hackers?

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#4 2017-11-11 12:00:33, last edited by LukeM (2017-11-11 12:03:43)

LukeM
Website

peace wrote:

ee needs a sever to send packets like movements ect how will this work? and where does ee save all data/files? and what about hackers?

1. If it was single player it wouldn't need to send movements etc. 2. On your computer. 3. Nobody cares because its single player

The only problem I can see is with the world share idea, as the world exchange string would have to be pretty big //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
(plus the huge amount of effort it would need)

Also maybe it could be made peer to peer rather than self run server, this way the whole game could basically be the same, but it would only need a super simple (and therefore cheap) server to show all the online worlds

#5 2017-11-11 13:32:51

peace

destroyer123 wrote:
peace wrote:

1. If it was single player it wouldn't need to send movements etc. 2. On your computer. 3. Nobody cares because its single player

The only problem I can see is with the world share idea, as the world exchange string would have to be pretty big //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
(plus the huge amount of effort it would need)

Also maybe it could be made peer to peer rather than self run server, this way the whole game could basically be the same, but it would only need a super simple (and therefore cheap) server to show all the online worlds

zoey said about othere can join your world/sever then it does need to send packets

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

#6 2017-11-11 14:44:06, last edited by LukeM (2017-11-11 14:45:53)

LukeM
Website

peace wrote:

zoey said about othere can join your world/sever then it does need to send packets

Well that would just be the same as the current EE, but using a self run server rather than PlayerIO

#7 2017-11-11 15:37:19

John

For starters, Atilla has a world backup system.

PW?scale=2

#8 2017-11-12 13:59:25

Gosha

if you have server code you can host ee on localhost

#9 2017-11-13 01:06:43

Guest.

why does offline matter? that just takes away the "Everybody" in "Everybody Edits"

#10 2017-11-13 02:58:48

Xfrogman43

zyhrllos wrote:

why does offline matter? that just takes away the "Everybody" in "Everybody Edits"

want to go play a game?
>what game
its called "edits"

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

Wooted by: (2)

#11 2017-11-13 23:22:11

Vitalijus
Website

There are many ideas to make EE alive again, mods are dead.

wn7I7Oa.png

Vitalijus1510611731683297

Board footer