Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

Advertisement

Hello, visitor! These forums are run off of the revenue generated from these ads. If you'd like to support us, please whitelist us or consider donating:

#51 2017-10-12 15:43:58

AnatolyEE
Member
From: Unknown location
Joined: 2015-07-31
Posts: 3,215
Website

Re: Anatoly is a thief

Tomahawk wrote:

What we'd need is a comparison between the original and "modified" graphics in order to judge fairly.

It was a pretty disrespectful PM though.

Comparison ios good way to start actually.

j5YTdLF.png

Ernesdo's only top left block used. All 4 which came out. [it was desaturated, highly blured, added by a border, and don't say it's a bad graphics, it fits my game.]

Last edited by AnatolyEE (2017-10-12 15:44:45)

Offline

#52 2017-10-12 15:48:27

Gosha
Banned
From: Russia
Joined: 2015-03-15
Posts: 4,592

Re: Anatoly is a thief

don't worry guys. people who steal someone's blocks usually can't make good levels (only by coping them, which is obviosly against the rules)

Offline

#53 2017-10-12 16:15:34

N1KF
Member
Joined: 2015-02-15
Posts: 9,411

Re: Anatoly is a thief

Gosha wrote:

don't worry guys. people who steal someone's blocks usually can't make good levels (only by coping them, which is obviosly against the rules)

You're really jumping to conclusions here.

Offline

#54 2017-10-12 16:27:05

AnatolyEE
Member
From: Unknown location
Joined: 2015-07-31
Posts: 3,215
Website

Re: Anatoly is a thief

Gosha wrote:

don't worry guys. people who steal someone's blocks usually can't make good levels (only by coping them, which is obviosly against the rules)

And who told it's for EE?

Offline

#55 2017-10-12 17:03:27

N1KF
Member
Joined: 2015-02-15
Posts: 9,411

Re: Anatoly is a thief

Anatoly:
Your defenses just make this look worse than it really is. In the end, I think this was just a misunderstanding that you caused which was blown out of proportion. Please just acknowledge that you brought this on yourself and apologize for it. Then we can accept it and move on. Except for Zyhrllos maybe. He might sue you. Idk.

Anatoly haters:
Those graphics weren't as "stolen" as some of you assumed; they're vaguely familiar but nowhere close enough to be a big deal. If Anatoly had done this without messaging Zyhrllos I really doubt anybody would have noticed. This is why you shouldn't assume the worst in people—it just makes everything messy.

Zyhrllos:
You made this a big mess. Like, you could have messaged him about it. But you made this public for everybody to see. Why? Justice? If so, in the end, you didn't cause justice—you caused chaos and confusion. You failed.

Offline

Wooted by:

#56 2017-10-12 17:04:35

LukeM
Formerly destroyer123
From: England
Joined: 2016-06-03
Posts: 1,192

Re: Anatoly is a thief

Wait... So you copied their graphics so you didnt need to create your own gradient...

GG
All of this to literally save you five clicks

Last edited by LukeM (2017-10-12 17:05:01)

Offline

Wooted by:

#57 2017-10-12 17:39:26

jkdrip
Member
Joined: 2015-07-27
Posts: 541

Re: Anatoly is a thief

I don't see how you can truly blame zyhrllos for starting this. He got angry because someone basically said "I'm about to steal your art and take credit for it" just as anyone would. What was he to do? Keep it to himself? And while I've no idea if he did message anatoly further, I get the feeling anatoly wouldn't have budged.


J1CGHJQ.png
Thanks Zoey!

Listen to my in-game music! (it's pretty much all I'm good at) http://everybodyedits.com/games/PWnTAZK9MecEI

Offline

Wooted by:

#58 2017-10-12 20:56:15

N1KF
Member
Joined: 2015-02-15
Posts: 9,411

Re: Anatoly is a thief

jkdrip wrote:

I don't see how you can truly blame zyhrllos for starting this. He got angry because someone basically said "I'm about to steal your art and take credit for it" just as anyone would.

Zyhrllos published the private messages of another user. That alone should be a pretty big deal. Anger itself isn't a good reason. There must be another reason, otherwise he would have gotten over it due to changes in mood and apologized for it.

Okay, maybe Zyhrllos is trying to warn us about graphic thieves in the community? However, unless it was just clumsy thinking, that couldn't be it. There'd be no need to put Anatoly's name in the image, let alone the topic title. The topic title is "Anatoly is a thief", not "Watch out for thieves". The only good reason I can think of is that Zyhrllos wants justice.

There seems to be a net loss from Zyhrllos's decision to call out Anatoly—nobody gains anything from it, everybody gets upset and feels worse, this community gets more divided, and people like Anatoly less. The only exception is Zyhrllos, who gains the satisfaction of "justice". If he's aiming for selflessness, I think he really failed at that. If a person is so prideful that they feel the need to take down others by making private matters public, maybe they should take another look at why they're doing what they're doing. But this is turning into speculation so we should wait until he's unbanned so he can speak.

What was he to do? Keep it to himself? And while I've no idea if he did message anatoly further, I get the feeling anatoly wouldn't have budged.

Try to talk it out privately. If that doesn't work say "somebody's stealing my art" and basically post this topic but with the username hidden. Then Anatoly will be pressured into fixing things. Hey, it's implied blackmail but that's better than immediate public accusations.

Offline

#59 2017-10-12 21:02:14

Devlin
Member
From: Hell
Joined: 2015-03-31
Posts: 1,455
Website

Re: Anatoly is a thief

N1KF wrote:

Then Anatoly will be pressured into fixing things.

Calling him out like this also puts pressure on him, arguably more so than if he stayed anonymous. Anonymity would only have applied pressure if Anatoly felt guilty about it. I think Anatoly's responses to this whole situation proves that he doesn't have much remorse for using the graphics he's specifically been told not to. As a result, I doubt that your prefered approach to all of this would have made Anatoly decide not to use Zyhrllos's graphics when I doubt even this approach did anything.


Devlin = mutantdevle

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

They say that if you stare at an avatar for too long they start to stare back...

"Crumpets, tea, slavery!" - The British Empire.

Offline

Wooted by:

#60 2017-10-12 21:17:28

N1KF
Member
Joined: 2015-02-15
Posts: 9,411

Re: Anatoly is a thief

Devlin wrote:
N1KF wrote:

Then Anatoly will be pressured into fixing things.

Calling him out like this also puts pressure on him, arguably more so than if he stayed anonymous. Anonymity would only have applied pressure if Anatoly felt guilty about it. I think Anatoly's responses to this whole situation proves that he doesn't have much remorse for using the graphics he's specifically been told not to. As a result, I doubt that your prefered approach to all of this would have made Anatoly decide not to use Zyhrllos's graphics when I doubt even this approach did anything.

You're right, but I prefer to assume by default that other users will act in good will. But that didn't happen, so this is what we're left with. This messy topic is still here but hey we can't change what happened in the past; we can only learn from it.

Since neither Zyhrllos or Anatoly seems to have been willing to compromise so far, this is the part where I'd suggest that everybody agrees to disagree. However, since this is a legal issue with copyright involved I guess it's technically a big deal. Going forward, I wish the best for everybody involved.

Offline

#61 2017-10-12 21:48:08

jkdrip
Member
Joined: 2015-07-27
Posts: 541

Re: Anatoly is a thief

N1KF wrote:

Zyhrllos published the private messages of another user. That alone should be a pretty big deal. Anger itself isn't a good reason. There must be another reason, otherwise he would have gotten over it due to changes in mood and apologized for it.

Making your own PMs and DMs public is not a big deal. It's a big deal when you publish somebody ELSE'S private messages. These messages belonged to zyhrllos/Anatoly and thus they can do as they please with them. And, anger is a pretty good reason to backlash. If a person randomly punches me in the face, I'd be likely to punch back. It's the same thing here. And I wouldn't apologize for something when I'm the victim in the situation.

N1KF wrote:

Try to talk it out privately. If that doesn't work say "somebody's stealing my art" and basically post this topic but with the username hidden. Then Anatoly will be pressured into fixing things. Hey, it's implied blackmail but that's better than immediate public accusations.

First of all, nobody knows if Ernesdo did try to talk it out. Second of all, excluding Anatoly's username doesn't pressure him to fix things at all. If Ernesdo were to exclude Anatoly's name, Anatoly could just post his modified graphics and say "wat no i didn't steal that." Public accusations aren't necessarily a bad thing, they simply make people responsible for their actions. If that damages that person's reputation, then that's their fault. Public accusations are in general a deterrent to people acting scummy. Without them, I could constantly harass any single one of the users here with no consequences.

[Edit]: I'm wrong about the private messages. I guess the author has the right to publish stuff, and the recipient owns the physical content (which can't really be released without publishing the author's messages)

Last edited by jkdrip (2017-10-12 21:53:34)


J1CGHJQ.png
Thanks Zoey!

Listen to my in-game music! (it's pretty much all I'm good at) http://everybodyedits.com/games/PWnTAZK9MecEI

Offline

#62 2017-10-12 23:14:34

N1KF
Member
Joined: 2015-02-15
Posts: 9,411

Re: Anatoly is a thief

jkdrip wrote:

anger is a pretty good reason to backlash. If a person randomly punches me in the face, I'd be likely to punch back. It's the same thing here. And I wouldn't apologize for something when I'm the victim in the situation.

Punching somebody back for punching you is a bit different since it's self-defense, while the closest thing to self-defense in this case would be immediate legal action. As far as other anger-based posts on the forum, I'd rather not see that (or, at least, just anger directed towards a negative cause).

excluding Anatoly's username doesn't pressure him to fix things at all. If Ernesdo were to exclude Anatoly's name, Anatoly could just post his modified graphics and say "wat no i didn't steal that."

If Anatoly posted his graphics, he'd basically be admitting he was the one to send those private messages. So, he'd admit he's responsible but still look for excuses. That's basically what Anatoly did already in reality. So the two scenarios are the same, except that the imaginary one doesn't gamble Anatoly's reputation.

Public accusations aren't necessarily a bad thing, they simply make people responsible for their actions. If that damages that person's reputation, then that's their fault. Public accusations are in general a deterrent to people acting scummy.

The way you describe it reminds me of the death penalty—the death penalty never helps the problem, but the basic idea is that as a whole the risk of punishment will discourage people from committing crime in the first place. As for whether or not that's ethically justified is very opinion-based. As of right now I have no strong feelings one way or the other on that idea.

However, I will say that as a small community, I think it's best that we avoid using humiliation and "user exposed" topics as a tactic to get things how we want them. If responsibility is a problem, then Zyhrllos can just sue Anatoly. If that doesn't work, then it's such a small problem that not even copyright laws think it's worth getting involved.

Without them, I could constantly harass any single one of the users here with no consequences.

We have a report system that deals with users semi-privately, so the comparison doesn't work.

Last edited by N1KF (2017-10-12 23:16:29)

Offline

#63 2017-10-13 11:02:39

skullz17
Member
Joined: 2015-02-15
Posts: 6,452

Re: Anatoly is a thief

All ernesdo had to do was continue the conversation with anatoly in private, which should logically lead to anatoly showing ernesdo his graphics (as it did in this topic). If he still feels the need to make this topic at that point, then that's just petty imo.


m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

Offline

Wooted by:

#64 2017-10-13 14:41:07

AnatolyEE
Member
From: Unknown location
Joined: 2015-07-31
Posts: 3,215
Website

Re: Anatoly is a thief

Master1 wrote:

srs AnatolyEE you brought this all on yourself, all you had to do was modify them and not even ask for permission.

If they're as different as you say they are, and completely unrecognizable, nobody would have noticed a thing anyways.

destroyer123 wrote:

Wait... So you copied their graphics so you didnt need to create your own gradient...

GG
All of this to literally save you five clicks

Xfrogman43 wrote:
AnatolyEE wrote:

[...]

Ok if you make them so unrecognizable, why not just start from scratch???

GRt0WLF.png

I started from scratch. I think this discussion is not worth anymore. All I can do is saying thanks ernesdo, because this version from scratch looks much better.

I apologize for this drama started.

Devlin wrote:
N1KF wrote:

Then Anatoly will be pressured into fixing things.

Calling him out like this also puts pressure on him, arguably more so than if he stayed anonymous. Anonymity would only have applied pressure if Anatoly felt guilty about it. I think Anatoly's responses to this whole situation proves that he doesn't have much remorse for using the graphics he's specifically been told not to. As a result, I doubt that your prefered approach to all of this would have made Anatoly decide not to use Zyhrllos's graphics when I doubt even this approach did anything.

It's not true. I thought using modified graphics is allowed. Same as if you blur a multicolored image, nobody will recognoize the original. Aka you get a blured mesh/gradient which looks cool, but in fact it's just a blur. The PM from start should not be sent. Like if you cover a song it's yours. Isn't it? Well, I thought it's same with graphics.

/lock 5. time now with arguments and censor out my name

Offline

Wooted by:

#65 2017-10-13 19:22:11

N1KF
Member
Joined: 2015-02-15
Posts: 9,411

Re: Anatoly is a thief

AnatolyEE wrote:

Like if you cover a song it's yours. Isn't it?

Not exactly. Usually you have to pay a chunk of the profits to the original owner.

Offline

#66 2017-10-14 00:17:59

zyhrllos
Banned
Joined: 2015-11-08
Posts: 1,109

Re: Anatoly is a thief

AnatolyEE wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

What we'd need is a comparison between the original and "modified" graphics in order to judge fairly.

It was a pretty disrespectful PM though.

Comparison ios good way to start actually.

https://i.imgur.com/j5YTdLF.png

Ernesdo's only top left block used. All 4 which came out. [it was desaturated, highly blured, added by a border, and don't say it's a bad graphics, it fits my game.]

I'm a fan of these blocks, they're fine! But, what you shouldn't be doing is ignoring the fact that I said "no" as in "No, you can't use these."

They look so different now, but that's good and bad. What's good is that they're so different, you couldn't even tell if my blocks were used. What's bad is also that they're so different, you couldn't even tell if my blocks were used. Why not just make them without using my blocks? Or better yet, like M1 suggested, just don't even tell me that you used them and none of this would've happened. I wouldn't know, nor would I care.

What made me care is how you told me in PMs and were also a **** about it when I said "no."

I felt like I needed to make a post about this to warn other people, as I've seen you're also using other peoples' work in your "game." (Specifically, TOOP's works. Just because it's from the game you're trying to copy and paste doesn't mean you have any equal amount of rights to steal those, too.)

Now, I definitely would have come up with a compromise earlier if I wasn't banned because of my earlier wording in the title of this topic.

But anyway, here's my compromise: You're allowed to use any of my works from my graphics topic as reference. However, I request that you consult me (in a more mature manner) first, and make them completely unrecognizable like you did above. I'd also prefer credit, but it isn't necessary if you keep it leveled like how you have now.
Emphasis on "in a more mature manner." If you're gonna be rude like you were to me like you were in our PMs, expect to get thrown in another rage cage.

Now, I'll do as you spam requested 5 times and close this topic. Hope we have resolved on a good note.
Thanks smile

Offline

zyhrllos1507936679680153

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

[ Started around 1513325733.1444 - Generated in 0.137 seconds, 12 queries executed - Memory usage: 1.37 MiB (Peak: 1.58 MiB) ]