Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-05 15:18:37

Luka504

Do video games make the world a better place?

Whenever you read any news article related to video games, It's usually the same things. "Games lead to violence" "Gamers are killers" "Games are a plague on our society". Rarely do you see people viewing games as something with lots of potential as the only interactive medium. Many people who don't play video games view them as a waste of time, money and effort. "None of it is real, so what's the point?"

Today, I ask for your thoughts.

Do video games help people? Do they make you a better person? Do they do more harm than good? Are they just a waste of time? Are they something that should be treated like movies or books, or should they be discouraged as much as possible?

I await your responses.

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

#2 2017-09-05 16:38:52

Onjit
Website

Re: Do video games make the world a better place?

Every person that plays video games, will die.

So therefore video games do not make the world a better place.

:.|:;

#3 2017-09-05 16:57:50, last edited by Slabdrill (2017-09-05 16:58:10)

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

Every person that doesn't play video games, will die.

So therefore video games do make the world a better place.

...joking aside, I believe it depends on which video games you play.

suddenly random sig change

Wooted by:

#4 2017-09-05 17:00:45

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

I don't think so.

Even after all the advancement in technology, people are less happy than they used to be. People are becoming wimps that don't want to face the world around them, so they use their fancy gadgets and gizmos as their tortoise shells. They all collectively hide under their shells, refusing to see the sunlight gleaming through the leafs that await them up above.

Many popular video games are built around the idea that "violence is okay because THEY'RE EVIL" which is a dangerous idea that results in lots of prejudice, terrorism, and war. I can't imagine that seeing so much blood and violence as the result of your own actions in certain games can be healthy as it desensitizes such horrible things.

What we see changes who we are in some small way, even if we don't realise it.. A person born into a positive, productive society will more likely be positive and productive because that's what expected of them. While I don't think video games create terrorists, it's a platform, just like most other media, that allows culture to become worse and worse as people live out their own propaganda and believe it's true.

Just like any other form of art, there will be examples that question these popular thoughts. But those are by definition the minority.

Wooted by:

#5 2017-09-05 17:17:47, last edited by Offensive Ray (2017-09-05 17:19:17)

Offensive Ray
Formerly omarabdulhaq

Actually eventhough about these bad effects that we get via playing games in general..
There are some scientific statistics that say that games could help you in real life
Just an example: CS - any version -: Counter strike game would help you to think and react fast in real life in conditions.. Specially for those who volunteer for their country's army.
The same thing for Call of duty.
I think that Everybody Edits may improve some people's drawing skills, which may help him in the future.. Maybe they'll be an architectural
Or on Everybody Edits, any person could start learning C# or C++ which will help him to be a programmer later on his life..
Don't always take the negative sides from playing games..
Enjoy playing games!

Wooted by: (3)

#6 2017-09-05 17:44:08

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Not really, but that doesn't mean it makes the world a worse place.

Video games are just another form of entertainment. People say that playing video games all day can lead to health problems such as obesity, but there are just as many health risks with playing outside all day. For example, you could get skin cancer from being exposed to the sun's UV rays. Both playing outside and playing video games are forms of entertainment, and like most things in life, they also have risks. There are things you can do to prevent these risks such as wearing sunscreen or taking breaks every hour or so.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Wooted by: (2)

#7 2017-09-05 20:31:35

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

They certainly make the world a happier place. I have no doubt that a world without video games would instead have some other equally addicting and uneducational activity which would create a similar set of issues.

Nah, the main issue is the difficulty young people have with stopping play and starting work. However, I suppose you could blame electronic entertainment in general for requiring very little movement.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:

#8 2017-09-05 20:40:49, last edited by Abelysk (2017-09-05 20:45:21)

Abelysk

N1KF wrote:

I don't think so.

Even after all the advancement in technology, people are less happy than they used to be. People are becoming wimps that don't want to face the world around them, so they use their fancy gadgets and gizmos as their tortoise shells. They all collectively hide under their shells, refusing to see the sunlight gleaming through the leafs that await them up above.

Many popular video games are built around the idea that "violence is okay because THEY'RE EVIL" which is a dangerous idea that results in lots of prejudice, terrorism, and war. I can't imagine that seeing so much blood and violence as the result of your own actions in certain games can be healthy as it desensitizes such horrible things.

What we see changes who we are in some small way, even if we don't realise it.. A person born into a positive, productive society will more likely be positive and productive because that's what expected of them. While I don't think video games create terrorists, it's a platform, just like most other media, that allows culture to become worse and worse as people live out their own propaganda and believe it's true.

Just like any other form of art, there will be examples that question these popular thoughts. But those are by definition the minority.

You sound like my christian grandpa

My thoughts: video games HELP us. I read a psychology study on how playing violent video games with a developed mind (e.g. 21+ years old) helps absorb violent tendencies into video games rather than out in the real world.

Violence has always existed before DOOM came out, before Street Fighter came out, always! Humans have always been impulsive, instinctive creatures that expressed violence, and video games haven't exacerbated violence since their inception; as a matter of fact, video games may actually have reduced the level of crimes over the past decade.

#9 2017-09-05 21:25:33

Michele
Formerly AntonioS300

Videogames are the things I LOVE, they make me feel better, it makes me a better person, it doesn't harm me in any way, and it's not a waste of time either. They should NOT be discouraged, as they make your life better. If you say that videogames harms you, then why do you want to play EE?

Idler.jpg
XOsS4ha.gif

Wooted by:

#10 2017-09-05 21:48:01

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

N1KF wrote:

What you're describing here isn't what's wrong with video games, it's what's wrong with certain types of video games. If video games were dominated by simple games such as EE or games that also had some kind of moral message then I doubt you would even begin to perceive doing as much damage as you claim they potentially do here.

Video games get shot down a lot due to the popular shooter genre but there is so much more too it than that. I highly doubt a game about running away from extinction as a dinosaur or a game where you compete with people to mine for oil is particularly harmful. It's just that one genre that taints the video gaming name.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#11 2017-09-06 03:00:03

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Abelysk wrote:

My thoughts: video games HELP us. I read a psychology study on how playing violent video games with a developed mind (e.g. 21+ years old) helps absorb violent tendencies into video games rather than out in the real world.

Violence has always existed before DOOM came out, before Street Fighter came out, always! Humans have always been impulsive, instinctive creatures that expressed violence, and video games haven't exacerbated violence since their inception; as a matter of fact, video games may actually have reduced the level of crimes over the past decade.

Something I'd like to make clear is that I wasn't trying to say video games increase violence, but rather, affects the way we see violence. Culture is heavily affected by our media, including video games, and that's something we should keep in mind.

Wooted by:

#12 2017-09-06 08:26:08, last edited by Hans (2017-09-06 08:28:56)

Hans

You cant say that video games make the world a better place, but you cant say either that video games made the world a worse place. Video games enhances your creativity skills , fantastic, but you spend almost all of your time playing video games which you cant make anything creative in real life. Video games improves your reflexes and your reaction time skills, incredible, but you cant apply much what you just learned from the video game in real life. Video games gives you freedom and entertainment, thats great, but it takes too much of your time and youre becoming an addict without even noticing, which loses your self discipline

Video games have some good and bad effects. Just wait for a second and this debate will eventually be turned into a riot. Have fun playing video games until you realize that real life has nothing to do with video games. Video games just gave you an idea with a "virtual reality" which is not real. You all have been deceived. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Yea, Im Hans-o-lol.

Wooted by:
Hans1504682768676446

Board footer