Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-02 22:06:20

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

"replying to spam is spamming"?

Buzzerbee wrote:

Also general reminder, if you're replying to spam you are also spamming,

So I don't exactly understand this sentiment. Replying to spam that has its own topic doesn't exactly add more effort (its still just close the thread + warn owner), and no one is gonna see the spam that doesn't already know its a spam thread.

please explain why spamming to a spam THREAD in which it is obvious it will be deleted/locked is spam.

suddenly random sig change

#2 2017-09-02 22:08:34

MartenM
Website

Re: "replying to spam is spamming"?

So it can gradually sink down to the bottom.

lm3hgg8.jpg

Ingame: marten22        My steam: MartenM

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2017-09-02 22:16:09, last edited by Different55 (2017-09-02 22:17:05)

Different55
Forum Admin

It's creating an even bigger mess that in some edge cases can make things a royal pain to fully clean up. Take one of Gamemonger's raids for example. Usually an admin can just come along, zap his account and it'll poof all his posts and topics. But one of his raids, the forums were just basically flat out refusing to nuke his posts. Can't remember what was causing it, but as a stop gap until it could be fixed, I went to the forum's clean up panel and nuked all posts from his IP. Problem is, with that panel it really does just nuke the posts. All the topics were left behind, but with his posts missing out of them. Normally, again, that's fine, you just click the "nuke orphaned posts/topics" button in that panel which is designed specifically for this situation and problem solved. Except that doesn't work for topics that have other replies in them. If a topic has posts, it won't delete it. And there were plenty of his topics that people had replied to.

Long story short, every topic that people had replied to had to be cleaned up manually. Replying to spam is just creating more spam. There's no point to it and it makes the mod's lives harder so we just don't allow it.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by: (4)

#4 2017-09-02 22:24:34

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

I can very much see the point of this rule, however my only problem is that you can't always tell if a thread is spam. Some people may look at a thread and see meaning in it whereas others would just see it as junk.

For example, upon first glace I would not have considered this thread:
https://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewt … 66#p675866
as spam.

It's in off topic and I would have thought the discussion point would be Luka's perception of "famous" EE players and how he considers himself to be one of them. Originally I was going to reply to that thread but I had one of my "I doubt anyone cares about what you're about to post" moments. That was lucky for me since the thread was later locked for spam.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#5 2017-09-02 22:53:53

Different55
Forum Admin

neither would I, which I'm guessing is why nobody was warned for posting in it even though Abelysk's post is pretty borderline even ignoring the confusing first post.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by:
Different551504389233675930

Board footer