Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-22 23:44:15, last edited by merkat (2017-09-14 09:22:38)

merkat

A little help please from PC experienced users

Hey guys, I have a question for anyone who knows about PC's and stuff, maybe could someone let me know what exactly went wrong.

One of my HDD died and I bought another one and istalled it but the moment I pressed the button to start my PC the power supply unit died.

Here's a pic of my power suply unit

Hidden text

A pic of my OLD HDD 

Hidden text

And a pic of the new one

Hidden text

Am I missing something here?  Can anyone give me a hint?  Thank you in advance! Sorry for the big pics.

EDIT: NVM the above issue.

I  want to mention ''Emalton, MrJaWapa, maxi123, Swarth100, Kikikan, Anch, Jedpogi, ninjasupeatsninja'' are wooting Pingo for something they don't actually understand. The error was fixed like 5 minutes after the post and NONE of you were online at that time. What are you wooting guys?  just saying. after I reposted those pics Pingos post had no meaning for the rest of the users offline yet new woots are still appearing days later.

Wooted by:

#2 2017-08-22 23:45:25

Pingohits
Banned

Re: A little help please from PC experienced users

merkat wrote:

Am I missing something here? 

yeah, a functional image host

791mAP8.png

#3 2017-08-23 00:20:51

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Well if the PSU died then you're gonna need a new PSU.

You can use the paperclip test to check if it's actually dead.

And if it is, please don't buy a really cheap power supply. Look at some reviews, like JohnnyGuru. You'll also have to check how to remove the current PSU from the case; if it's riveted then you're gonna have a lot of fun getting it out.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:

#4 2017-08-23 00:38:10, last edited by merkat (2017-08-23 00:43:57)

merkat

Tomahawk wrote:

Well if the PSU died then you're gonna need a new PSU.

You can use the paperclip test to check if it's actually dead.

And if it is, please don't buy a really cheap power supply. Look at some reviews, like JohnnyGuru. You'll also have to check how to remove the current PSU from the case; if it's riveted then you're gonna have a lot of fun getting it out.

Thank you Tomahawk for your replay!

About the PSU I'm 100% it's fried, not only it smells but the moment I pressed the button to start it, even the electric panel of my home shut down.
   Luckily the PSU is not riveted, getting it out is easy, the only reason I made this thread is to ask if this has anything to do with the new HDD I added and maybe I'm missing something, I don't want to change the PSU and fry it again.

#5 2017-08-23 01:04:36

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

I can't say with 100% certainty that the hard drive had nothing to do with it, but it seems unlikely. You might've messed up somehow while swapping the drives and caused the power supply to short out, perhaps by leaving a wire or loose screw in the case. Remove all the components and put them back in if you're worried.

That PSU brand isn't well-known but doesn't seem to be terrible; how old was it when it died? Old-age could've caused the fault.

At any rate, you need a new PSU. If you buy one with a warranty then you should be covered if the same thing happens. I suggest you buy from a more reputable brand.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:

#6 2017-08-23 08:04:38

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

It's spelled "meerkat", not merkat.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#7 2017-08-23 10:32:05

merkat

Tomahawk wrote:

I can't say with 100% certainty that the hard drive had nothing to do with it, but it seems unlikely. You might've messed up somehow while swapping the drives and caused the power supply to short out, perhaps by leaving a wire or loose screw in the case. Remove all the components and put them back in if you're worried.

That PSU brand isn't well-known but doesn't seem to be terrible; how old was it when it died? Old-age could've caused the fault.

At any rate, you need a new PSU. If you buy one with a warranty then you should be covered if the same thing happens. I suggest you buy from a more reputable brand.

I checked, no wires or loose screw, I did that before I even plugged it, like always.  It's an old PC, 2011, I guess you might be right about this, is just bugging me, why it did this after I changed the HDD. 

Well idk, thank you for your time and replays! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

NorwegianboyEE wrote:

It's spelled "meerkat", not merkat.

I know, I know. Like Phingo here you went off topic but I can live with that, hoping you can live with my mistake too. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Wooted by:
merkat1503480725674501

Board footer