Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-08-23 03:03:39, last edited by Harmonious (2017-08-23 03:07:27)

Harmonious
Formerly jkdrip

Re: people need to speak english that is readable

Even if you don't speak English, you should still be able to spell names with relative accuracy, be able to distinguish separate words (n ottyp ing lik eth is), and be able to format your posts somewhat decently. If a person doesn't speak English, they're likely to struggle with sentence structure before anything else.

I'm sure if there were to be a hypothetical rule for this non-English speakers would get more slack. I'd hardly say this rule would prevent non-English folk from posting.

Currently playing through: Mega Man 1-6

Listen to my in-game music! (it's pretty much all I'm good at)

#27 2017-08-23 03:11:15

Bimps

Zumza wrote:
Evilbunny wrote:
Zumza wrote:

It's totally ad hominem, it was supposed to be ad hominem, my point from the start was that this rule is impractical.

my opinion about bimps's point was not even slightly affected by your posts because you completely missed the point

jkdrip posted a good example of posts that are common on these forums that really shouldn't be here

The spam rule extends already for those who deliberately write unintelligible posts.

I understand that Bimps is proposing a rule which will prevent non-native English speakers to post, unless they check with their dictionaries first to be sure they make sense.

i said i dont know what should be done. im just saying something should be done about it. dont put words into my mouth

Wooted by:

#28 2017-08-23 03:12:15, last edited by Zumza (2017-08-23 03:17:14)

Zumza

jkdrip wrote:

Even if you don't speak English, you should still be able to spell names with relative accuracy, be able to distinguish separate words (n ottyp ing lik eth is), and be able to format your posts somewhat decently. If a person doesn't speak English, they're likely to struggle with sentence structure before anything else.

Obviously if there were to be a hypothetical rule for this non-English speakers would get more slack. I'd hardly say this rule would prevent non-English folk from posting.

I've been learning english before I knew to write.

There are many phonemic spelling languages(like my native language).

In this type of languages the way you pronounce it, it's also the way you write it.

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#29 2017-08-23 03:13:33, last edited by Zumza (2017-08-23 03:13:50)

Zumza

Bimps wrote:

i said i dont know what should be done. im just saying something should be done about it. dont put words into my mouth

Oh I'm sorry. Then I know the solution: contact them in PM and teach them English.

#30 2017-08-23 03:17:46

Harmonious
Formerly jkdrip

Zumza wrote:
jkdrip wrote:

Obviously if there were to be a hypothetical rule for this non-English speakers would get more slack. I'd hardly say this rule would prevent non-English folk from posting.

I've been learning english before I knew to write.

There are many phonemic spelling languages(like my native language).

In this type of languages the way you say it, it's also the way you write it.

Could you explain this to me? My apologies, I just don't see how this is relevant

Currently playing through: Mega Man 1-6

Listen to my in-game music! (it's pretty much all I'm good at)

Wooted by:

#31 2017-08-23 03:32:48, last edited by Zumza (2017-08-23 03:37:02)

Zumza

English it's a language in which you write things differently than how you pronounce them. That's why you have spelling competitions etc.

So when you say: - It more hears like:
Hello - Hell o
Sometimes = Some times
I've been replying to you - Aivebin replaing thu yu
definitely - defenetly (this one happen right when I was writing this post, but I have installed a plugin that warns me on typos)

(You may look through my first posts on this forums and you'll see yourself that this is indeed the way I used to write things. And I definitely wasn't doing it on purpose)

I'm sure that if you know other languages it also happens to you.

Wooted by:

#32 2017-08-23 03:49:18

Bimps

Zumza wrote:

English it's a language in which you write things differently than how you pronounce them. That's why you have spelling competitions etc.

So when you say: - It more hears like:
Hello - Hell o
Sometimes = Some times
I've been replying to you - Aivebin replaing thu yu
definitely - defenetly (this one happen right when I was writing this post, but I have installed a plugin that warns me on typos)

(You may look through my first posts on this forums and you'll see yourself that this is indeed the way I used to write things. And I definitely wasn't doing it on purpose)

I'm sure that if you know other languages it also happens to you.

stop going off topic please what are you doing why

Wooted by:

#33 2017-08-23 08:51:33, last edited by Norwee (2017-08-23 08:55:32)

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

Bad English doesn't bother me at all. Years of experience learning other languages, speaking to Ipwner, reading unbelievably broken English on youtube comments and reading Japanese visual novels translated by machine software has left me the ability to extract the meaning of the most broken sentence structures you can imagine.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

Wooted by:

#34 2017-08-23 09:23:41

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Personally I don't think we should do anything about people who can't write properly as it is completely unfair on them. There are many reasons people may not be able to write basic structured English such as it not being their first language, they're too young or they have a learning difficulty such as dyslexia or autism. None of those reasons I see as valid to disallow someone from using the forums. If you cannot read someone's post, either try to make out what it says or just skip over it.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Wooted by: (2)
mutantdevle1503476621674497

Board footer