Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-21 22:04:41

Bimps

people need to speak english that is readable

seriously i know that those that cant speak english properly might not like this but i cant understand half the **** posts on this forum anymore because of them. there needs to be some sort of rule i dont know what

Wooted by: (4)

#2 2017-08-21 23:07:24

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Re: people need to speak english that is readable

maybe sometimes its your inability to understand english that is the problem
sure there are people saying random nonsense like peace and sonytv but definitely not half of the forums
dont overexxagerate that much
just ignore these posts, theyre not saying anything meaningful anyway and are not worth the effort of trying to read and understand them.

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by:

#3 2017-08-21 23:22:10

Anch

maxi123 wrote:

just ignore these posts, theyre not saying anything meaningful anyway and are not worth the effort of trying to read and understand them.

Just because they speak broken English doesn't mean what they're saying isn't meaningful

Wooted by:

#4 2017-08-21 23:25:03

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Anch wrote:
maxi123 wrote:

Just because they speak broken English doesn't mean what they're saying isn't meaningful

im not saying its not meaningful because they speak broken english
but in general its rather a coincidence

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#5 2017-08-22 00:15:48

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Punctuation would be great to see every now and then.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by: (4)

#6 2017-08-22 00:36:13

Xfrogman43

Tomahawk wrote:

Punctuation would be great to see every now and then.

*from people who don't speak english well. I use it when necessary but not at the end of the last sentence for some reason unless its a question

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

#7 2017-08-22 00:39:33

Harmonious
Formerly jkdrip

How about we report unreadable posts
Cut non-English speakers more slack

Although I could see how this could become annoying to the forum staff

Currently playing through: Mega Man 1-6

Listen to my in-game music! (it's pretty much all I'm good at)

#8 2017-08-22 01:48:14, last edited by Zumza (2017-08-22 01:53:48)

Zumza

Bimps wrote:

seriously i know that those that cant speak english properly might not like this but i cant understand half the **** posts on this forum anymore because of them. there needs to be some sort of rule i dont know what

Seriously, I know that those who can't speak English properly might not like this, but I can't understand half the **** posts on this forum anymore because of them. There needs to be some sort of rule. I don't know what

Bimps wrote:

People need to write English that is readable

You're welcome!

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#9 2017-08-22 01:51:27

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

Zumza wrote:
Bimps wrote:

people need to write english that is readable

People need to write English that is readable.

You're welcome!

Wooted by: (2)

#10 2017-08-22 02:16:33

HeyNK

Usually when people don't use proper pronounciation in thier posts (eg. talking like this lalalal loook how ironic i am nvm im not ironic im just lazy nvm im not lazy its another type of irony LOL) I don't even bother reading thier posts. Another thing that prevents me from reading people's posts is if they're too long, hard to read, covered in quote pyramids, on the second page or more of a thread I really don't care about.

And I hate it when people do this as well. There should be a rule against "new paragraphs" on posts, when the post only has a total of 2 paragraphs. Like okay... you can't organize your thoughts? ugh... //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/mad So you rely on noob moves like "formatting" and "making your post easier on the eyes". If i wanted to make my post easier on the eyes I would just use a lot of //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool smileys so that all the white text on the screen doesn't hurt my eyes? Yeah. If you are reading this sentence, you do not agree with my ideals. I would not read this post I just made. And that's not because I made it and I know it's just full of crap, but rather by looking it and assessing it efficently it would not be worth my time, effort, money, internet fee, power fee, or caloric intake fee to continue reading. STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP!!!!

Don't make unreadable posts. Not just in english but in your grammar, syntax, and your lives.

#11 2017-08-22 02:37:06

Bimps

Zumza wrote:
Bimps wrote:

Seriously, I know that those who can't speak English properly might not like this, but I can't understand half the **** posts on this forum anymore because of them. There needs to be some sort of rule. I don't know what

Bimps wrote:

You're welcome!

look at all your woots
oh

Wooted by:

#12 2017-08-22 02:47:17

Ratburntro44
Website

Zumza wrote:
Bimps wrote:

Bimps wrote:

You're welcome!

barring an actual learning disorder the originals were entirely readable

Wooted by:

#13 2017-08-22 05:49:06

Zumza

Bimps wrote:

look at all your woots
oh

I might say the same thing.

I'm just trying to point out that ironically while you we're making this topic you've done a couple of mistakes yourself.
Readability is something subjective towards each ones experience.
A teacher for example will understand better what a kid wants to say rather than somebody who never meet the child before.
A simple misspell can often make a reader to don't understand what that word is, especially for those who don't know english well.
Context is important indeed but there are occasions where you still can't figure it out. (look at some Scottish people talking on yt, you may know what the context is, but its hard to tell exactly what they say word by word)
Also there are many adults who misuse words even if they are native.
As HG proved there will always be somebody who won't agree entirely with the punctuation or capitalisation etc.
Having a rule that would punish those who can't write proper is absurd and an offence to the non-English community of this forum.
I'm sure that nobody can deny the fact that their english got better while using this forum.
It should take both sides(transceiver and receiver) effort to decode the meaning of a message.

I'm sure I've done a couple of mistakes my own while writing this, but there's no need for any of us to turn into grammar-nazis.

#14 2017-08-22 21:59:10

Bimps

Zumza wrote:
Bimps wrote:

look at all your woots
oh

I'm just trying to point out that ironically while you we're making this topic you've done a couple of mistakes yourself.
A teacher for example will understand better what a kid wants to say rather than somebody who never meet the child before.
A simple misspell can often make a reader to don't understand what that word is, especially for those who don't know english well.
Context is important indeed but there are occasions where you still can't figure it out. (look at some Scottish people talking on yt, you may know what the context is, but its hard to tell exactly what they say word by word)
As HG proved there will always be somebody who won't agree entirely with the punctuation or capitalisation etc.
Having a rule that would punish those who can't write proper is absurd and an offence to the non-English community of this forum.
I'm sure that nobody can deny the fact that their english got better while using this forum.
It should take both sides(transceiver and receiver) effort to decode the meaning of a message.

I'm sure I've done a couple of mistakes my own while writing this, but there's no need for any of us to turn into grammar-nazis.

what mistakes have i made beside no uppercase letters and no puncuation? you understood what i said dont argue semantics

Wooted by:

#15 2017-08-22 22:58:36, last edited by Zumza (2017-08-22 22:59:40)

Zumza

Bimps wrote:
Zumza wrote:
Bimps wrote:

look at all your woots
oh

what mistakes have i made beside no uppercase letters and no puncuation? you understood what i said dont argue semantics

You've quoted my entire post just to ask me what mistakes you've done in the OP? However, what's written above has absolutely nothing in common with what you're asking...
But if you really want them to be point out I can.
In the OP you've written "i know that those that cant speak english" it should had been "I know that those who can't speak English"
And from your last post: "you understood" should be "You've understood"

#16 2017-08-22 23:20:14

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

It would also be nice to see distinct paragraphs. People are more inclined to read long posts if the paragraphs are separated by blank space, rather than that mess ^^^^ Zumza.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:

#17 2017-08-23 00:39:38

Bimps

Zumza wrote:
Bimps wrote:
Zumza wrote:
Bimps wrote:

look at all your woots
oh

You've quoted my entire post just to ask me what mistakes you've done in the OP? However, what's written above has absolutely nothing in common with what you're asking...
But if you really want them to be point out I can.
In the OP you've written "i know that those that cant speak english" it should had been "I know that those who can't speak English"
And from your last post: "you understood" should be "You've understood"

i pressed the quote button. i dont care enough to cut it out. the first example is not incorrect grammar, and neither is the second. something tells me you arent a native english speaker

#18 2017-08-23 02:27:58, last edited by Zumza (2017-08-23 02:32:08)

Zumza

Bimps wrote:

something tells me you arent a native english speaker

Something tells me you haven't open a grammar book for ages.

"i know that those that cant" "that" is generally used for animals or objects. Indeed, you may use it for persons and groups, but "who" is generally a better choice.

Also, it should be "have understood" because that's the conjugation of "to understand" at present perfect(indicative).

I'm sure that American English is much more lenient with such matters, but the true English is the British English.

#19 2017-08-23 02:33:29, last edited by hummerz5 (2017-08-23 02:34:16)

hummerz5

guys nitpicking grammar that isn't central to a post's meaning isn't really helpful anywhere

I get that we might want to say "hey man your grammar is bad so you have no right" but that seems ad hominem.

personally I take issue with posts that seem to run with two qualities. The first is what we're discussing here, readability. The other is relevance. Too often we have posts of terrible form that are only tangentially related and I don't like them :[

but seriously though please stop with attacking each other's grammar 'n stuff. think productive rule making not destructive uh... ground breaking?

thanks

Wooted by: (2)

#20 2017-08-23 02:39:33

Harmonious
Formerly jkdrip

I don't think the point of this thread is referring to simple grammatical and spelling errors. Rather, I believe Bimps was referring to posts such as these (using peace as an example from another thread):

peace wrote:

dear pinarose FIRST FIX YOUR SAVESYTEM i knowyou can tbut contact the staff about it made a tread about it in bug repots cant moiss its title is in full caps

I had to spend a solid 3 minutes to understand this, and even then I'm not sure I interpreted it correctly. Somebody literally replied to this with the word 'what,' and that 1-word post got 16 woots.

Nobody gives a crap if you forget to capitalize something. But for the love of God, please put some effort into your posts.

Currently playing through: Mega Man 1-6

Listen to my in-game music! (it's pretty much all I'm good at)

Wooted by: (3)

#21 2017-08-23 02:40:33

Zumza

It's totally ad hominem, it was supposed to be ad hominem, my point from the start was that this rule is impractical.

#22 2017-08-23 02:45:47

Evilbunny

Zumza wrote:

It's totally ad hominem, it was supposed to be ad hominem, my point from the start was that this rule is impractical.

my opinion about bimps's point was not even slightly affected by your posts because you completely missed the point

jkdrip posted a good example of posts that are common on these forums that really shouldn't be here

Evilbunny (in cursive)

#23 2017-08-23 02:46:35

Zumza

jkdrip wrote:
peace wrote:

dear pinarose FIRST FIX YOUR SAVESYTEM i knowyou can tbut contact the staff about it made a tread about it in bug repots cant moiss its title is in full caps

I had to spend a solid 3 minutes to understand this, and even then I'm not sure I interpreted it correctly.

It's pretty easy for me:

Dear Pinarose,

You should fix the save bug before doing other updates.

I know that you can't do the fix yourself but at least you can contact the admins about it.

I've also made a thread in Bugs & Reports regarding this problem. You can't miss it, the title is in full caps.

#24 2017-08-23 02:55:54, last edited by Zumza (2017-08-23 02:58:04)

Zumza

Evilbunny wrote:
Zumza wrote:

my opinion about bimps's point was not even slightly affected by your posts because you completely missed the point

jkdrip posted a good example of posts that are common on these forums that really shouldn't be here

The spam rule extends already for those who deliberately write unintelligible posts.

I understand that Bimps is proposing a rule which will prevent non-native English speakers to post, unless they check with their dictionaries first to be sure they make sense.

#25 2017-08-23 02:59:39

hummerz5

Zumza wrote:

The spam rule extends already for those who deliberately write unintelligible posts.

well yes, but I wouldn't mind it if we stepped up the game a little bit regarding some of these

mutantdevle1503476621674497

Board footer