Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-15 21:32:12, last edited by mutantdevle (2017-06-24 18:37:58)

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Mario worlds (campaign series)

*Not a campaign suggestion, simple a series of worlds I am building.

Hello there! earlier this week I began development of a concept world based on Mario. I decided I needed to give myself a project to do during the 12 weeks+ I will have free during the summer holiday as I transition from high school to college. I have played MANY Mario themed levels and enjoyed most of them (some were pretty bad). But whilst they all nicely reflected Mario in their art and platforming, they all lacked the standard Mario power ups. Now of course, the main reason they would lack power ups is that it is not as simple as just placing them and adding them. But as someone who tends to only build worlds relating to switch mechanics, I feel this is a good project to occupy my time with.

The main purpose of this thread is that I would like some ideas and recommendations for what to try and include in this world series. This world series will be primarily focused towards the veteran players of EE as they are more likely to have and patience and commitment to play through all the levels. And what better place to find out what they would want to see from Mario worlds than the forums? Of course, the first few worlds I do want to be noob friendly, but the later levels are likely only ever going to be pursued by patient veteran players, so I would like to focus that more towards their play style.

Here are the worlds I plan to make in these series:

World 1 - Typical grassland mushroom world mainly on simple platform jumps. Game play: Simple jumps. Difficulty: Easy.
World 1 Boss - Simple Bowser fight. Game play: Not yet decided, will involve switch or portal mechanics. Difficulty: Easy.

World 2 - Desert based world with sand and mud. Game play: Involves simple arrows. Difficulty: Easy.
World 2 Boss - Probably a giant Pokey. Game play: Not yet decided, will involve switch or portal mechanics. Difficulty: Easy - Medium.

World 3 - Beach world, lot's of fish. Game play: Uses water a lot, going in and out of it. Difficulty: Easy (probably a bearable tediousness)
World 3 Boss - Fish? Probably a big **** fish. Game play: Will probably involve water in some way with switches and portals. Difficulty: Medium.

World 4 - Jungle, climb all dem vines. Game play: climb vines and enemies (or allies) to prevent falling in the void.  Difficulty: Medium.
World 4 Boss -  Not yet decide. Game play: Not yet decided, will involve switch and portal mechanics mechanics. Difficulty: Medium .

World 5 - Ice world. Game play: Ice blocks everywhere. Difficulty: Medium.
World 5 Boss - Will involve ice, not sure what though. Game play:  Not yet decided, will involve switch and portal mechanics. Difficulty: Medium - Hard.

World 6 - Mountains and rock based. Game play: Climbing up rather than moving horizontally like the rest of the worlds. Difficulty: Medium - Hard
World 6 Boss -  Not yet decide. Game play: Not yet decided, will involve switch and portal mechanics mechanics. Difficulty: Medium - Hard.

World 7 - Clouds and pipes everywhere, will require patience. Game play: Spend a lot of the time miniature and jumping from cloud to cloud, possible cloud maze. Difficulty: Medium - Hard.
World 7 Boss - Not yet decided. Game play: Not yet decided, will involve being mini as well as involving switch and portal mechanics mechanics. Difficulty: Hard.

World 8 - Lava and fire and stuff. Game play: Similar to world 1 but a lot harder. Difficulty: Hard.
World 8 Boss - Hard fight against Bowser (obviously). Game play:  Not yet decided, will involve switch and portal mechanics. Difficulty: Hard

Final Boss - Mega long fight against a really strong Bowser. Game play: Epic finale involving portals and switches.

World 9 - Rainbow. Game play: Contains world portals to all worlds in the series, acts as a hub world. Difficulty: Basic.

*Difficulty is relative to the world series and not the current campaign worlds.

There will be a lives system. You start with 5 lives and gain an additional life for every 5 gold coins you collect. Gold coins are optional. You also gain a life for touching the switch on top of the end flag. Other switches that grant lives may be found in some levels. If you run out of lives you will have to reply the world again (Eg if you die during any point of world 6 you have to beat the whole of world 6 over again, or if you die 5 times in the world 3 boss fight you have to do the boss fight all over again no matter your progress, the boss will get full health). There will be an option to disable lives if you run out of them for noob players.

There is also 3 blue coins in each level (there will be 5 levels per world, 3 normal levels, 1 special, Eg. underwater or boo mansion, and a castle level) which act as star coins. For every 3 star (blue) coins collect you will unlock a secret such as how to get an extra life, a spoiler for an upcoming boss or a little help in the next level. Blue coins are also optional.

The power ups will work as follows: You start out 'small', you will only be able to take 1 hit from enemies before you die. If you collect a mushroom you will become 'big' and able to take 2 hits from enemies before you die. You will still die if you fall in the void. You can also collect various tier 3 power ups which also make you 'big'. Tier 3 power ups give you a special power, such as double jump or speed boost, and allow you to take 3 hits from enemies before you die. The first hit you take will remove your tier 3 power. The exception to this rule is the mini mushroom which only gives you 1 hit point. If you collect a power up from a certain place you cannot collect it again unless you die. (This is like the real Mario).

The current planned power ups include:

Mushroom - You now take 2 hits.
Spring Coil - Jump effect. You now take 3 hits. Jump effect lost on 1st hit.
Fire Flower - Double jump. You now take 3 hits. Double jump lost on 1st hit.
Speed Plant - Speed effect. You now take 3 hits. Speed effect lost on 1st hit.
Mini Mushroom - Low gravity and 0 jumps. You now take 1 hit. Can no longer bounce well on Goombas or disable Koppas.
1 Up - You gain another life.

The current planned enemies include:

Goomba - 1x1 size. Grounded. Touching the sides will deal 1 hit. Jumping on head will cause you to bounce into the air.
Image: ctxZmbF.png

Koopa - 1x2 size. Grounded. Touching the sides will deal 1 hit. Jumping on head will disable the Koopa making it safe to touch from the sides.
Image: LfgbA3E.png New image wanted.

Piranha - 3x4 size (technically). Grounded or attached to pipe. Touching only the centre of the mouth will deal 1 hit.
Image: N58lIhO.png

Bullet Bill - 3x3 size (technically). Airborne. Touch the forward facing side or bottom will deal 1 hit. Can safely stand on top and touch the behind of it.
Image: jQM0EnJ.png

Pokey - 1x? size. Grounded. Can be any height. Touching from any side will deal 1 hit.
Image: mFug3k4.png

Wiggler ?x2 (technically). Grounded. Can be any length. Touching the side of the head will deal 1 hit. Can safely stand on top, touch the behind and walk under the wiggler.
Image: 5F0Td6W.png New legs wanted.

Cheep Cheeps - 3x2 or 2x3 size. Aquatic or sprouting from water. Touching from any side will deal 1 hit.
Image: co5GKUi.png

Boo - 2x2 size. Airborne. Touching from any side will deal 1 hit.
Image: d64yT7w.png New image wanted.

Thwomp - 4x6 size. Grounded or Airborne. Touching from any side will deal 1 hit.
Image: KWJ9oN2.png

Podoboo - 1x2 size. Airborne above lava void. Touching from any side will deal 1 hit. Upon taking a hit, bounced into the air. Often results in a fall into the lava void.
Image: Dde7zJy.png New image wanted.

Boss Bass - 5x5 size (technically). Aquatic or sprouting from water. Instantly kills.
Image: v3meSdB.png

Fishbone - 3x2 size. Aquatic. Touching from any side will deal 1 hit.
Image: HOVnUIw.png

Spiney - 3x2 or 2x3 size. Grounded or attached to wall. Touching from any side will deal 1 hit.
Image: pOPXy5E.png

The current planned allies include:

Cannon - 2x2. Grounded. Enter to be shot in a specific direction. Shot further when miniature.
Image: E7dc4K1.png

Flag - 2x3. Grounded. Touch to enable checkpoint.
Image: pVx8dsY.png

So basically I'm looking for community feedback from the community about the following things:

Suggestions for different enemy appearances. I appreciate anyone who makes their own version of a Mario enemy to submit to this thread! <3.
Ideas for additional enemies I could attempt to include.
Ideas for new different power ups.
Ideas for the different bosses.
Suggested layout for levels and worlds.
General ideas and mechanics you would want included from the Mario games.

If you would like to get an idea of the concept for this then I built this concept world for you to try: http://everybodyedits.com/games/PWuTQuXEyfcEI
*The art and game play in this world do not fully reflect how the final versions will be (I am definitely changing the big mushrooms). This worlds main purpose was to test out the mechanics of power ups and Goombas. The real thing will have far more detailed and more thought out art and the game play will be much better and actually have though go into it. Unlike the tutorial, the real thing will not require you to have a specific power up, these would just be helpful (and more rare). This is aside from world 7, which will likely include forced miniature.

TLDR: I am building a semi-realistic version of Mario in EE which includes working power ups, enemies and other mechanics and I would like some feedback and suggestions on what to include.

Progress:

Hidden text

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#2 2017-06-15 21:44:03

RavaTroll

Re: Mario worlds (campaign series)

Hey
Kira and (mostly) I have been building a mario world for quite some time now and we have some nice enemies/in game art design if you're interested.

SNTDcGF.png Trolls be in da place, mon ! SNTDcGF.png

Wooted by:

#3 2017-06-16 11:45:58, last edited by mutantdevle (2017-06-16 21:16:52)

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

RavaTroll wrote:

Hey
Kira and (mostly) I have been building a mario world for quite some time now and we have some nice enemies/in game art design if you're interested.

Yeah sure, I'm assuming your world is primarily focused on art rather than switch mechanics? (Since I don't really want to accidentally copy anyone's ideas on mechanics without their permission). I must admit I am not the best when it comes to art (as you can probably tell by my first drafts for enemies so I could use the inspiration.

In the meantime I found the world in your profile: V2TmeSO.png

May I ask to what extent you would allow me to use the graphics and design presented in your world?

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#4 2017-06-16 18:16:42, last edited by RavaTroll (2017-06-16 18:18:05)

RavaTroll

This world is purely an adaptation of Super Mario Bros 3 in EE, but we're working on a new level that has new design too.
And yeah, we don't have any mechanics involved - we wanted a life system for our future map but eh it takes too much space and we want secrets !

As long as kira and I are credited for the art you borrowed, i guess it's fine. But we don't have many enemies in them, it's mostly just simple platforming.

As most of my worlds, tho, as long as ee will have update introducing new blocks, I will consider them unfinished and to be improved later art-wise.

You might use our "fish" design and our flying turtles design because they're quite interesting.
The thing is, with in game art, it's difficult to make things pretty and deadly. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

EDIT : And yeah definitly do several worlds to have more space to make the levels, EE worlds are quite small when it comes to making a bunch of different levels inside one world.

SNTDcGF.png Trolls be in da place, mon ! SNTDcGF.png

Wooted by:

#5 2017-06-16 21:34:41, last edited by mutantdevle (2017-06-17 13:37:56)

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Yeah, the space issue is the main reason for using multiple worlds as by stretching the series cross several worlds I am able to get creative and use many different mechanics. The bosses have their own separate worlds as that would allow me to incorporate 'animation' within the bosses as well as RNG attacks.

I also plan to improve upon the worlds as EE is updated. For example if a decoration is added which I feel gives more detail to an enemy I will use that instead. I'm also hoping different coloured pipes get added so that I can use those for detail also.

You mentioned flying turtles but I can't seem to find them in your level?

From what I've seen of your world these are the ideas I am particularly fond of:

ehLYIPE.png KMzWjnI.png
As you said, the fish are particularly interesting and a much better improvement from my design. I also like the size variation.

M3ANaCE.png
This may be very simplistic but I think it would function well in placement of Bloopers in water zones.

cR3aWV5.png
I really like this design for the spiny. I previously thought these would not be possible but this seems like a good representation of them.

zGhghPX.png
This Piranha is far better than my design as well as more flexible. I will probably remove the teeth though and have that as the only portal of this enemy.

5MYxjgO.png d01bEV5.png
I really like both of this for background design. I could also try and give the clouds different faces.

psb4Nfy.png
This is a really neat gameplay mechanic that I will probably use in world 2.

And yes, I will be giving credit. At the beginning of the level I will list the worlds that have inspired the art style for my own. Also, in world 9, I will be showcasing the different enemies with each designer credited; world 9 will also credit all users by username.

For other's reading these comments, the main feedback I would also like and be grateful for is feedback or new suggestions for:
Koopa's appearance.
Boo's appearance.
Podoboo's appearance.
Boss ideas (like what enemy should be the boss of each world).

Edit: updated thread for new planned graphics for enemies.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#6 2017-06-18 20:26:27

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

You'll notice I deleted the post - that's because I noticed the link to the prototype world.
Also, you misread it.

suddenly random sig change

Wooted by:

#7 2017-06-18 20:37:46

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

Slabdrill wrote:

You'll notice I deleted the post - that's because I noticed the link to the prototype world.
Also, you misread it.

RIP. Welp I hope you enjoyed the world and have a better understanding of the planned mechanics. I plan to start on World 1 tomorrow.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

mutantdevle1497814666664494

Board footer