Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-05-08 02:35:30

AlphaJon

Re: EE Client in JavaScript

These suggestions are mostly related to the code itself rather than the functionality, as I didn't actually go further than the login screen.

I suggest for your own good that you do not put the JavaScript directly in the HTML, but instead have it in its own file(s). It will be easier to manage.

For the password field: <input type="password" /> does the trick (you put type="text" at the time of this post).

In your code, you have lots of parts with functions defined inside function calls:

global.client.multiplayer.createJoinRoom(RoomID, 'Everybodyedits' + global.eeversion, true, null, null,
	function (connection)
	{...});

With the ... part being more than 100 lines of code. What I suggest instead is creating a function, and simply referring to that function in the line above:

global.client.multiplayer.createJoinRoom(RoomID, 'Everybodyedits' + global.eeversion, true, null, null, connectionHandler);

//Somewhere else (can potentially be in another file, as long as it is defined before the code above is called:
function connectionHandler(connection)
{...}

There is maybe more, but this would already help you with managing your own code in the long term.

#27 2017-05-08 11:59:13, last edited by John (2017-05-10 03:26:03)

John

Woah, you read my mind. I actually just started splitting up some stuff and will update it when I'm ready. I did have a password field at first, but I got rid of it because chrome kept saying the site was insecure... etc. If I find a way to get SSL (LetsEncrypt), I'll put them back in. Otherwise, it will likely stay as is.

As for the JavaScript, I will leave them as-is. Unless you or someone else can convince me, I don't see a reason why having it separate be beneficial.

Thanks for your input though, and if you have anything regarding the UI I'd be interested into hearing it!!!!!!

PW?scale=2

#28 2017-05-08 12:09:28

den3107

Emalton wrote:

What do you mean by "Give the user an option to load the world or not"?

Currently you load the world in an image, this heavily slows down loading the chat an might lag for some people (most of all if you'd actually want to update it). I can imagine people want to use the chat client to chat because it's light-weight, versus normal EE.

#29 2017-05-08 15:07:16

John

Can do, will get bits done throughout the school day when I have time. I'll probably finish it during Lunch.

yay 4 high school

PW?scale=2

#30 2017-05-08 15:18:25

den3107

Emalton wrote:

yay 4 high school

Honestly for me not much changed during college xD

#31 2017-05-08 15:19:43

John

How is college?

PW?scale=2

#32 2017-05-08 15:36:51

den3107

Emalton wrote:

How is college?

It greatly differs per study and country and often also school, so I can't really give you a static "how is it".

#33 2017-05-10 03:24:18

John

Updated!

Srna is continually helping out with the UI, which is really great!!

I mostly worked on backend stuff but I added a few things to the UI, as requested by den3107.

Keep the suggestions coming!

I also figured the password situation without getting that terrible insecure website popup from Chrome!!!!!

Thanks Srna & den3107 for the suggestions/help!

PW?scale=2

#34 2017-05-10 09:10:11, last edited by den3107 (2017-05-10 09:11:06)

den3107

Nothing loads after logging in.

I also beg to differ from the article, but hey, you thought of the design so I'm not gonna criticize it.

EDIT:

Consol error

#35 2017-05-10 10:42:57

capasha

Damn the colors when logged in is screaming in my eyes. Another thing the loading of the whole world sometimes stop at loading. So Firefox sends out a message that the script take too long time to load.

#36 2017-05-10 12:10:55, last edited by John (2017-05-12 21:24:12)

John

Yeah I screwed something up...

I'll fix it later today but for now the link goes to the previous version.

EDIT: Fixed

Capasha, I can't reproduce your issue. Worlds seem to be loading fine for me. Is anyone else having this problem beside Capasha?

EDIT 2:

Srna is working on the colors soon, sorry that it's killing your eyes

EDIT 3:

Srna updated the lobby look, it should look much better now!

THANKS AGAIN SRNA YOU ROCK MAN!

I've also added registration feedback but have not tested it yet.

PW?scale=2

#37 2017-05-16 22:02:03

ThreeWheelDrive

When I use Google Chrome on 'http://now.sync-cloud.com/EE/', I get an error message inside the player that says "This plugin is not supported"; however, going to 'http://now.sync-cloud.com/EE/assets/Game.htm' works fine for me.

#38 2017-05-17 13:33:42

John

It's an iframe. Does anyone else have issues witht Chrome not supporting iframes?

PW?scale=2

#39 2017-05-17 14:51:03

den3107

Personally have no problems or errors.

Why an Iframe though? Or is that a limitation of your hosting service?

@ThreeWheelDrive:
What is your chrome version and what OS (windows, ios, linux) do you use?
you can find your windows version when you type

chrome://version/

in the url bar

#40 2017-05-17 17:18:59

John

Why not use an iframe? I thought it is supported in all browsers. Do you know of an alternative?

PW?scale=2

#41 2017-05-17 22:33:17

den3107

Emalton wrote:

Why not use an iframe? I thought it is supported in all browsers. Do you know of an alternative?

Just run it straight in the same webpage?
Never really understood the use of iframes, unless it's for dynamic content like flash game websites, but not dynamic content that you personally create/control.

#42 2017-05-17 23:32:59

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

What about managing everything via a canvas?

The user wouldn't be able to edit absolutely anything, preventing abuse.

And they can save the canvas as image, like a screenshot.

#43 2017-05-21 16:33:09, last edited by John (2017-05-21 16:34:21)

John

I will leave it as is, I like the files seperated.

Updated.

I was asked to disable blocks from showing in certain worlds, and I improved the movement. (Not perfect but better...)

I also made the gems actually there, and made many other minor adjustments.

The colors should look better too, thanks again Srna!

I'll update it when the new blocks when I have more time; finals is next week!

EDIT:

If you don't want the blocks to show up in your world, create a sign with the following text without quotes: "<!>\nMap"

PW?scale=2

#44 2017-06-02 16:24:46

John

I'm having issues with lag, and I'm going to be honest I don't really know what I'm doing I could use some help if someone is interested in making it more efficient.

It eats too much ram I believe.

help / insight would be appreciated.

PW?scale=2

#45 2020-02-05 23:54:50

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

For months now I've been sometimes working on an EE clone in JavaScript. I don't know if the EE Staff are willing to make Everybody Edits Offline web browser compatible, but if not then somebody will need to make sure it is.Having the code from this client would probably save hours of coding.

That said John is really inactive and I don't know how to contact him. If anybody can do that please let me know.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#46 2020-02-07 00:36:37

LukeM
Website

N1KF wrote:

For months now I've been sometimes working on an EE clone in JavaScript. I don't know if the EE Staff are willing to make Everybody Edits Offline web browser compatible, but if not then somebody will need to make sure it is.Having the code from this client would probably save hours of coding.

Just clarifying that we currently just plan to release a Flash version with the online capabilities like multiplayer and the shop removed (and some small additions to make it work offline), it's not ideal as official Flash support will be ending soon, but you should still be able to play it if you already have Flash instealled, and I'd assume that there will still be workarounds to run Flash programs if not.

If you want a better performing generally more modern version of EE then that's what EEU is for. It wouldn't really make sense to do two full rewrites as that'd probably just delay both of them even more than they are already, so we've been focusing on making sure that EEU is a good replacement for EE rather than trying to move EE to something that isn't Flash. Sure it's missing a lot of the features EE currently has, but over time we hope to add a lot of the things it's missing so hopefully after a while there shouldn't really be much of a reason to play EE instead of EEU other than to look through old worlds.

#47 2020-02-08 02:45:41

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

LukeM wrote:
N1KF wrote:

Just clarifying that we currently just plan to release a Flash version with the online capabilities like multiplayer and the shop removed (and some small additions to make it work offline), it's not ideal as official Flash support will be ending soon, but you should still be able to play it if you already have Flash instealled, and I'd assume that there will still be workarounds to run Flash programs if not.

If you want a better performing generally more modern version of EE then that's what EEU is for. It wouldn't really make sense to do two full rewrites as that'd probably just delay both of them even more than they are already, so we've been focusing on making sure that EEU is a good replacement for EE rather than trying to move EE to something that isn't Flash. Sure it's missing a lot of the features EE currently has, but over time we hope to add a lot of the things it's missing so hopefully after a while there shouldn't really be much of a reason to play EE instead of EEU other than to look through old worlds.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I remember being told EEO was still a Flash game, but I didn't want to spread misinformation in case I was wrong.

I agree that focusing on and playing EEU would be better than doing so for EE. What I want here is mainly for archival and playing old worlds, like you mentioned. However I'm interested in something more flexible than what EEO seems to be. I've been holding off telling the community this for months now until my vision is closer to completion, but this seems like an appropriate place to talk about it early since it may help give the staff some food for thought.

If the game is remade from scratch, it can be made more modular and customizable. Think many of the players who have enjoyed playing this game for years and designing levels around the clunky physics engine, and how fun it could be to tinker with the very basics of this game. Imagine playing the game in slow-motion or doubling the a smiley's boost arrow/max speed. Tool-assisted speedruns is an unexplored area at least one other user has expressed interest in. Maybe players could even change the graphics and physics so that they match earlier versions of the game. Add extra quality of life features and such. Connect the game to a player-maintained EELVL database, so that players can enter classic world IDs and play thousands of different levels near instantly. There are many possibilities here.

I've recreated EE's camera movement, and I have some basic EE physics.But all of this seems inefficient. Not only is EEO being developed completely separately from me, but I am fairly new to coding while EE staff probably has several experienced coders with access to EE's original code. I have more spare time to volunteer, while EE staff probably needs to go to school or work. This means I'm working lower efficiency than necessary (as a noob with little insider knowledge) while staff also is (having a lesser vision and splitting development time).

If anybody in the staff is interested in helping me with this please let me know. This could save me many hours of fiddling around. If this project ever comes to completion then I could open-source it, and Staff could even use this for Everybody Edits Offline with polishing and changes where considered needed.

SXu5a49.png

Join me, and together we can rule can rule the galaxy

Everybody Edits is Fred

N1KF1581126341774040

Board footer