Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-23 16:48:26

Myst

how to get a new gaming pc? (for peoples who have a bad pc)

1st get wannacry //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile
2nd tell your parents about the situation
3rd ask them to buy u a new gaming pc
4th Congratulations, you got a gaming pc
5th Buy an antivirus againist wannacry

#2 2017-05-23 16:55:52

Nebula

Re: how to get a new gaming pc? (for peoples who have a bad pc)

Mysterion wrote:

no im not getting on this

#3 2017-05-23 17:27:28

LukeM
Website

Probably should put an automatic download link instead of a link to the wiki, otherwise people might not be able to find it //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
Other than that, great tutorial!

#4 2017-05-23 18:04:07

hummerz5

Mysterion wrote:

5th Buy an antivirus againist wannacry

I'm concerned about this. The fixes seem uncertain at best.

"iuqerfsodp9ifjaposdfjhgosurijfaewrwergwea.com" is an awesome note/source on the wikipedia page.

I'm not about to test this, but would a straight download link have the same effect as whatever SMB method it uses to infect? i.e., if the computer knows the file is coming through the right channels is it still able to do whatever voodoo?

#5 2017-05-23 18:59:36

LukeM
Website

It (at least the main version of it) has been completely shut down now
It turns out that the people who made it included a check for a URL (I'm guessing that's what the note in the wiki page is), where if it existed then it stopped itself, I think to try to detect if people were testing it in a virtual machine to see how it worked
A research team found this, then registered the domain so it now instantly shuts down, so isn't a threat anymore

If it hadn't been shut down, I think it would have been able to work by download link, as I believe it was just an exe file which extracted all the files it needed from itself, so as long as you ran it, it wouldn't matter where it came from, the exploit was just a way for it to install itself without needing you to click on anything

#6 2017-05-23 19:40:36

hummerz5

destroyer123 wrote:

If it hadn't been shut down, I think it would have been able to work by download link, as I believe it was just an exe file which extracted all the files it needed from itself, so as long as you ran it, it wouldn't matter where it came from, the exploit was just a way for it to install itself without needing you to click on anything

ah, but you'd still need to run it. That was my worry

but yeah, I guess I heard about that domain thing. Didn't one guy register that somewhat by mistake? or was that a different domain?

#7 2017-05-23 19:50:53

realmaster42
Formerly marcoantonimsantos
Website

It's easy, skip it all to 3rd and also skip 5th, vua la!

http://i.imgur.com/bjvgH5L.png?1

#8 2017-05-23 20:02:40, last edited by LukeM (2017-05-23 20:03:50)

LukeM
Website

hummerz5 wrote:

I guess I heard about that domain thing. Didn't one guy register that somewhat by mistake? or was that a different domain?

Pretty much XD

I guess it wasnt a complete mistake, but they definately didnt expect it to take it down completely, im guessing they just wanted to use it to find out more about how it worked

Wooted by:

#9 2017-05-24 07:17:12

BuzzerBee
Forum Admin

How does it feel to have rich parents who will buy you a new PC the second you get malware

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

Wooted by:

#10 2017-05-24 14:57:30

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Is nobody going to point out that you only need a new hard drive, not an entire new PC?

I suppose you'd need parents who know nothing about computers for this to work.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by: (2)

#11 2017-05-24 15:05:07

LukeM
Website

Tomahawk wrote:

Is nobody going to point out that you only need a new hard drive, not an entire new PC?

You dont even need a new hard drive, there are many ways to wipe your old one, and Im sure there are also ways to remove the ransomware without damaging the non encrypted files

Wooted by: (3)

#12 2017-05-24 15:31:07

capasha

destroyer123 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

You dont even need a new hard drive, there are many ways to wipe your old one, and Im sure there are also ways to remove the ransomware without damaging the non encrypted files

Like destroyer said. You don't need a new hard drive. There is some ways to decrypt the encryption that wannacry does. But that doesn't mean that you are not infected.
I would either restore Windows to a time when I didn't get the ransomware or just reinstall Windows.
If you don't have a cd-rom reader and maybe have a laptop you can remove the hard drive from the computer.
If you have a stationary computer you could buy a USB to SATA and IDE adapter kit. Which will load your hard drive and you can clean it.
Just remember, don't forget to disable the autorun function in Windows. Else there may be a chance to be infected.

I don't understand how people would get a new computer just because you got a ransomware or any infection.

#13 2017-05-26 13:47:48

Nebula

Whirl wrote:
Mysterion wrote:

no im not getting on this

afterwards, I won't get any new PCs anymore. So, I decided to stay with retired PC.

Nebula1495802868661269

Board footer