Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-24 19:11:58

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

defragging an ssd

b4 u say "no u dummo fat berry chew chew train aaa"

i'd like to ask if defragging the ssd would save space as there'd be less of a MBR because all the files would be together

#2 2017-05-24 19:13:55, last edited by LukeM (2017-05-24 19:18:23)

LukeM
Website

Re: defragging an ssd

Im pretty sure it doesnt
(could be wrong but) I dont think SSDs really care about where the computer says to put the data, they just put it wherever is used least and act like it is where it was told to put it

Edit: I was wrong, yes defragmenting can help, but not normal defragmenting, you cant just do the same as you would a HDD, and you shouldnt do it often (I dont think) as SSDs have a maximum number of writes before they stop working
Source: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAn … urSSD.aspx

Wooted by:

#3 2017-05-24 19:18:31

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

destroyer123 wrote:

Im pretty sure it doesnt
(could be wrong but) I dont think SSDs really care about where the computer says to put the data, they just put it wherever is used least and act like it is where it was told to put it

well on traditional mechanical hdds theres a MBR which stores where fragment 1 of ee.exe is, and where fragment 2 of ee.exe is, and e.t.c
thus by defragging you automatically take fragment 1 and fragment 2 and put them together and cause the mbr to merge into one ee.exe location

i was wondering if it would save space on ssds

#4 2017-05-24 19:27:28

hummerz5

Is that really the reason folks defrag though? I mean if you have a noticeable block for metadata because there are so many splintered files, you'd have other issues pertaining to the splinter amount right?

that article destroyer linked is my only knowledge on the subject but they point out the issue as well

#5 2017-05-24 21:12:54

Different55
Forum Admin

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

b4 u say "no u dummo fat berry chew chew train aaa"

i'd like to ask if defragging the ssd would save space as there'd be less of a MBR because all the files would be together

Dude, what? I think you might be confusing some terminology there, MBRs have nothing to do with the files on your drive. An MBR tells your old BIOS-based computer how to boot and where the partitions are.

On SSDs, there's no point to defragmenting your hard drive. You shouldn't really be saving any significant amount of space. If you need space, move a file off the SSD. You'll save more doing that than you could hope to by defragging.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#6 2017-05-24 22:25:38

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Defragging does not increase the amount of free space you have on a drive.

It's only useful for HDDs because they read data sequentially, and so having to collect the fragmented pieces of a file from different places on the disk is slower because the read head has to physically move to multiple locations. An SSD - being flash memory - has no moving parts, and so fragmentation doesn't impact the performance of the drive.

Defragging an SSD will reduce its lifespan as its storage sectors have a finite number of read-write cycles before they stop working. SSDs in fact "fragment" themselves so that all memory sectors wear down evenly and its lifespan is maximised.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:

#7 2017-05-25 02:42:25

Different55
Forum Admin

Oh, I think I get what you mean. The MFT? Master File Table in NTFS file systems? That won't shrink if you defrag. By design, it only grows. But not really noticeably. It'd be a waste of time to try and reclaim space from it by defragging even if it could shrink. But yeah, unused space in it can be reused by the MFT, but not by anything else.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Different551495676545661145

Board footer