Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

Advertisement

Hello, visitor! These forums are run off of the revenue generated from these ads. If you'd like to support us, please whitelist us or consider donating:

#1 2017-05-17 21:48:16

Devlin
Member
From: Hell
Joined: 2015-03-31
Posts: 331
Website

Is there a difference between 'hot' and 'sexy'?

*Hot does not refer to temperature.



When you refer to someone as 'hot', do you mean the same thing as they are 'sexy', or is there a difference?

In my opinion, hot is used to describe someone who has a fantasy appeal with little imperfections in their body. The stereotype of this is typically blonde women with smooth skin or men with the perfect muscles (six pack).
In contrast, I think that 'sexy' refers to a more broad kind of sexual appeal that isn't necessarily to do with the body. Sexy seems to be with more imperfections and inclusive of additions such as clothing and romance.

To put it simply, I think when you consider someone to be hot it means they have a lustful sexual appeal to you. Whereas if you consider someone to be sexy, the sexual appeal is more of a romantic one. (And of course you can still consider someone both hot and sexy).


So what do you think? Do you agree with me? Or do you disagree? What does hot mean to you? What does sexy mean to you? Is there even a difference in the first place? or are they just equal synonyms? Is this thread pointless? Are you questioning what prompted me to write this thread? Does this topic really matter? Who knows, but feel free to comment with your opinion.


April Fools:

JraTkrd.png

EE member since 23rd January 2011 <3 http://ee.yonom.org/MUTANTDEVLE

TdgvjMP.png

BoEoT4V.png

Online

#2 2017-05-17 22:02:42

Different55
Forum Admin
Joined: 2015-02-07
Posts: 14,681

Re: Is there a difference between 'hot' and 'sexy'?

Hot implies attraction

Sexy implies intention

Offline

#3 2017-05-17 22:19:24

hummerz5
Forum Mod
From: wait I'm not a secret mod huh
Joined: 2015-08-10
Posts: 4,275

Re: Is there a difference between 'hot' and 'sexy'?

"Is there even a difference in the first place"
Yes, but I expect as a culture leans toward increasingly sexually permissive attitudes, this distinction might lessen.

Do I agree with you?
No, I'm more with diff atm. Perhaps even just word meaning: "sexy" is closer than "hot" to the word "sexual" (obviously). Now that's not a formal logic argument but that's what comes to mind.

"Are you questioning what prompted me to write this thread?"
yes. Are you arguing with someone who you called one while intending the other?

but at the same time I slightly disagree with diff
As I pointed out, since the words do have the increasingly similar meaning, I'd say both do imply both, just that one is more closely right


fT09tOL.png
?type=lastlogin&name=hummerz5
*cough* forum data

Offline

Wooted by:

#4 2017-05-17 22:26:02

Insanity
Banned
From: Douchebag Island
Joined: 2015-03-07
Posts: 1,088

Re: Is there a difference between 'hot' and 'sexy'?

hotness is a purely physical trait

sexiness is how people carry themselves


Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.
Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?
Maverick: Because I was inverted.

Offline

Wooted by:

#5 2017-05-17 23:35:00

HG
Member
Joined: 2015-02-18
Posts: 1,337
Website

Re: Is there a difference between 'hot' and 'sexy'?

I feel insulted.


Signature
Made by Anatoly, slightly modified by HG

Offline

#6 2017-05-18 00:23:59

Abelysk
Formerly Kefka
From: ̿̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿
Joined: 2015-02-16
Posts: 2,357
Website

Re: Is there a difference between 'hot' and 'sexy'?

They're both the same IMO.

The term hot was likely coined how the "hot" person makes the area "hot" during kissing or intercourse, in other words you start to sweat and feel hot due to the "hot" person.

Sexy refers to "sexable" or "I will have sex with that person". Same thing in essence.

Last edited by Abelysk (2017-05-18 00:26:03)


Bolded message
Help me make minigames for my animator project! smile

"When people think about travelling to the past, they worry about accidentally changing the present, but no one in the present really thinks they can radically change the future."

Offline

Wooted by:

#7 2017-05-18 01:48:27

Pingohits
Member
From: ambidextrous dextrose
Joined: 2015-02-15
Posts: 6,835
Website

Re: Is there a difference between 'hot' and 'sexy'?

Is there a difference between "great" and "fantastic"? "Horrible" and "terrible"?

"Hot" and "sexy" are indistinguishable in informal conversation. However, similar to the examples stated before, their meanings contain minute differences which is what separate them.

Offline

Wooted by:

#8 2017-05-18 13:06:13

Devlin
Member
From: Hell
Joined: 2015-03-31
Posts: 331
Website

Re: Is there a difference between 'hot' and 'sexy'?

hummerz5 wrote:

"Are you questioning what prompted me to write this thread?"
yes. Are you arguing with someone who you called one while intending the other?

That's not the reason tongue. The reason is kind of similar but, as someone who tends to avoid face to face human interaction as much as possible, I am doubtful I will ever describe someone I know personally in such way (male or female). I actually made this thread after walking home from school with a group of my friends when an argument started between the 2 of my friends that are dating. My friend (I will call them A) commented that my other friend (K) looked hot. She disagreed with this giving the reason that she felt she had too many imperfections to be hot and instead referred to herself as sexy as opposed to hot. A then told her that she is both hot and sexy but K argued that she preferred sexy because it sounded better. A and K are very open about their relationship and have told us that they have never engaged in actual intercourse (both are legal) but have performed other sexual activities (in a more romantic / teasing kind of way which they often describe as them being sexy). My very few and not very in depth google searches were inconclusive of a difference so who better to ask than the 100% reliable EE community?

Abelysk wrote:

They're both the same IMO.

The term hot was likely coined how the "hot" person makes the area "hot" during kissing or intercourse, in other words you start to sweat and feel hot due to the "hot" person.

Sexy refers to "sexable" or "I will have sex with that person". Same thing in essence.

My anecdote about my friends who are a couple would suggest quite the opposite, though this is only one example. Furthermore, I don't think I have ever heard someone refer to someone else as hot and actually have an increased temperature due to thinking about them (though you do mention physical interaction which isn't quite the same as thinking about them).

Pingohits wrote:

their meanings contain minute differences which is what separate them.

I'm definitely in agreement that the difference is small but I still think hat it is definable. I think it's important that the difference is made clear as it can affect the way you are viewed when using either word. From what people's replies have suggested in contrast to what the thread was prompted by, I think it's clear that perhaps this difference is different to everyone on an individual bases. Furthermore, despite there only being a small difference, whether you choose to describe someone as hot or sexy can come across in a different way. From my experience of the random people I know IRL and how the media presents standards of men and women, the term hot seems to be used more commonly to objectify someone as a sexual attraction. In contrast, whilst sexy is still about sexual attraction, it does not seem to remove the human aspect of sexual expectation. For example: Through the use of various clothing items or sex toys, it is often considered that you can look more sexy or be within a sexier environment. On the other hand, someone who is generally considered as not hot cannot as easily become hot as they could sexy as hot seems to be more about the body which can rarely be controlled or changed. Though a point against this would be that sometimes people do use hot to describe how someone looks in certain clothing, but in most of these cases the person is generally considered hot anyway and the clothing choice just amplifies the sexual attraction.

Insanity wrote:

hotness is a purely physical trait

sexiness is how people carry themselves

I agree with this statement the most. From my experience, sexy seems to be a changeable factor about a person often through clothing choice, sex toys, lighting and other romantic gestures displayed through sexual intent (linking in with diffs argument).

Different55 wrote:

Hot implies attraction

This part I disagree with. There are many other words that imply attraction, such as love, cute, funny, beautiful, etc. Hot on the other hand only refers to sexual attraction which is arguably different to just attraction (though I'm not sure if that was the point you were making as you assumed a would make that connection due to the generally topic of the thread).

From my own experiences, hot seems to be more of a compliment to the sexual attraction of the body whereas sexy seems to be more of a compliment to the sexual attraction to the person. (I say compliment but it is on an individual basis for if it is taken as such).

Of course, essentially all of what I have said is anecdotal and therefor likely is not reliable; but that is one of the main reasons I made this thread so that different views, interpretations and definitions can be put across.


April Fools:

JraTkrd.png

EE member since 23rd January 2011 <3 http://ee.yonom.org/MUTANTDEVLE

TdgvjMP.png

BoEoT4V.png

Online

Wooted by:
Devlin1495109173660228

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

[ Started around 1495722410.8776 - Generated in 0.092 seconds, 12 queries executed - Memory usage: 1.14 MiB (Peak: 1.27 MiB) ]