Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-29 08:30:53, last edited by BuzzerBee (2017-04-29 08:42:45)

BuzzerBee
Forum Admin

Staff, what's the deal?

Okay, I usually don't make rants like this ever, but I need to know what is going on.

It's been 536 days. Five hundred thirty-six days. About one and a half years.

UnitEE has been hyped up since November of 2015, and yet we know very little about the progress that has been made on it.

Is it even being worked on?

From what I know, the developers are not being paid, right?

Does EE even make any revenue?

If so, where does that money go?

If you hired developers, the game could be done in like a month. EE is not that complicated of a game and you already have all the source code, it just needs to be "translated".

That being said, why not make the game open source? This has been requested before. I don't know why you're trying to protect the source code of a game that you didn't even make. If the community had the source code, we could again get UnitEE done in like a month because there are enough resources and willing members to help.

I am a patient person, but at this point, NVD and other staff members should be called out on their negligence. If you don't have time to work on the game, hire someone, make it open source, or just stop teasing us and let us know what is happening in the development project.

Once UnitEE is released, you will bring in an influx of players (who will give you money). We want EE to be populous and alive again, and the more you delay, the less of a chance that's going to happen.

Do we even advertise the game?

Honestly I have so many questions for the staff concerning their negligence, incompetence, and unprofessionalism. I know many of these questions have been brought up in other topics before but I think it's time we get to the root of the problem.

Is UnitEE even real? I'm pretty sure at this point it's a hoax.

Staff, what's the deal?

UPDATE: more complaints

honestly like. if money is the problem, use advertisements?? like nobody would care that much.
or like hire a marketing strategist or something

EE is pretty much a business. you make money from it. treat it like a business and not like a hobby coding project.

if you're going to treat it like a side project, then open source it.

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

#2 2017-04-29 09:35:49, last edited by Processor (2017-04-29 09:36:40)

Processor

Re: Staff, what's the deal?

I think you're aware of NVD's plans to throw away all current Unity EE progress and start from scratch. So with that in mind, give the new administration some time. If the new administration is serious about unity development, we could see the first alpha builds in 3-4 months from now.

Also this is a for profit game, you can't just open source it.

The money EE makes mostly goes towards paying for itself I bet. The new administration hasn't made much money since they took over, I'm not sure if NVD has the money to invest upfront in a serious developer team.

I have never thought of programming for reputation and honor. What I have in my heart must come out. That is the reason why I code.

#3 2017-04-29 09:36:25

XxAtillaxX

The administration has recently changed, those 500+ days were under Nou. You can't just pass the blame of negligence to NVD when it isn't his fault that it's taken so long.

signature.png
*u stinky*

#4 2017-04-29 10:11:50

Myst

Processor wrote:

I'm not sure if NVD has the money to invest upfront in a serious developer team.

this topic will fix the money problem http://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewto … 00#p644700

#5 2017-04-29 12:00:21

Kira

XxAtillaxX wrote:

The administration has recently changed, those 500+ days were under Nou. You can't just pass the blame of negligence to NVD when it isn't his fault that it's taken so long.

"You can't just pass the blame of negligence to NVD"

It's too easy to blame someone else without knowing what's happening behind the scenes. NVD was also part of the staff "those 500+ days" and he hasn't done anything helpful under Nou.

BuzzerBee wrote:

Okay, I usually don't make rants like this ever, but I need to know what is going on.

It's been 536 days. Five hundred thirty-six days. About one and a half years.

UnitEE has been hyped up since November of 2015, and yet we know very little about the progress that has been made on it.

Is it even being worked on?
It is, mostly by Jesse and Showpath. They are also planning to reboot EE.

From what I know, the developers are not being paid, right?
No, they aren't being paid.

Does EE even make any revenue?
EE makes revenue, else it wouldn't be alive.

If so, where does that money go?
It's being kept for the servers.

If you hired developers, the game could be done in like a month. EE is not that complicated of a game and you already have all the source code, it just needs to be "translated".

That being said, why not make the game open source? This has been requested before. I don't know why you're trying to protect the source code of a game that you didn't even make. If the community had the source code, we could again get UnitEE done in like a month because there are enough resources and willing members to help.
That's the issue. NVD told me he "can't deal with this community", It's apparent that he doesn't want any help from the community and get it done himself. Unfortunately.

I am a patient person, but at this point, NVD and other staff members should be called out on their negligence. If you don't have time to work on the game, hire someone, make it open source, or just stop teasing us and let us know what is happening in the development project.

Once UnitEE is released, you will bring in an influx of players (who will give you money). We want EE to be populous and alive again, and the more you delay, the less of a chance that's going to happen.

Do we even advertise the game?
No, we don't.

Honestly I have so many questions for the staff concerning their negligence, incompetence, and unprofessionalism. I know many of these questions have been brought up in other topics before but I think it's time we get to the root of the problem.

It is real. It's being rewritten. The previous Unity version was a mess.

Staff, what's the deal?
It's obvious. Our staff is incompetent. The game would be better off with a developer that is actually serious about the game (not Nvd). I fail to see how this game can grow with a teenager owning it.

UPDATE: more complaints

honestly like. if money is the problem, use advertisements?? like nobody would care that much.
or like hire a marketing strategist or something

EE is pretty much a business. you make money from it. treat it like a business and not like a hobby coding project.

Wooted by:

#6 2017-04-29 12:19:48

Keemstarluv

CONTENT WARNING

Five nights at Freddy's
- Its ****

#7 2017-04-29 12:20:09, last edited by MartenM (2017-04-29 12:32:04)

MartenM
Website

Kira wrote:

It is real. It's being rewritten. The previous Unity version was a mess.

Can't be worse than my attempt at it so far ;p

1-2 days of being bored... Vacation :/

^ 10 fps gifs are awesome. Also first attempt at making something in unity.

On topic:
I hope to see a unity release. Honestly it's the only thing that can put people into EE from my perspective.
A steam release of the unity version would also be nice. Steam is a big platform, and advertising on it will surly help. (especially since there are not that many good free to play games on it compared to the paid games.)

Unity progress has been slow, and the community has no idea of the staff plans currently. The last post by NVD was something about making plans for the future of this game, and sharing those with us? Would love to see those by now. Even a rough roadmap would do.

lm3hgg8.jpg

Ingame: marten22        My steam: MartenM

Wooted by: (4)

#8 2017-04-29 13:04:28, last edited by Zumza (2017-04-29 13:04:53)

Zumza

Processor wrote:

Also this is a for profit game, you can't just open source it.

There are a lot of profitable open source games in this world.
If EE would be an offline game then it would be a bad decision to make it open source indeed.
But EE is an online game. EE isn't just a game but an online platform for people to play and build words.
Through special items and builder clubs, EE will sustain the same amount of money.

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#9 2017-04-29 13:14:47, last edited by mrjawapa (2017-04-29 13:16:43)

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Kira wrote:

I fail to see how this game can grow with a teenager owning it.

I fail to see why age keeps being brought up.

I think most people would find it obvious that an 8 yr old would not do very well at managing a game. But, I'd like to point out that neither Julian nor Nou (both being adults) were able to help the game grow.

Discord: jawp#5123

#10 2017-04-29 14:25:04

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Hey ik what will help: let's hate on the staff some more so we can increase their motivation by showing our unwavering support for them.

Or maybe if we make some more devs quit, UnitEE will be released faster, because everyone knows that bringing in fresh minds with no experience in developing EE will produce better progress than with the old devs.

But hey, it's been more than a month since NVD became owner and we haven't seen a contractual promise signed in his own blood. Clearly his dedication to this massively profitable game isn't great enough, and it's time to start thinking about whether NVD is the right guy for the job.

>.>

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by: (2)

#11 2017-04-29 16:14:34

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Tomahawk wrote:

Hey ik what will help: let's hate on the staff some more so we can increase their motivation by showing our unwavering support for them.

Please quote any lines showing hatred towards the owners of the game. Either I overlooked something, a post got deleted, or you're exaggerating.

Even I've gotten impatient with UnitEE! NVD has refused to open-source it (and if Dream tells us all we need to know, it's just from disliking the community). There is no advertising. I don't know exactly what's going on, but it hasn't felt good so far to me. Ever since UnitEE was announced, it's all been going downhill and showing more and more red flag.

While NVD's post when he became owner gave me a little bit of hope, we don't even know what those plans for the recreation of the game will be like. People were outraged at TOOP's smiley edits, so this could result in far far worse if a few bad mistakes are made.

Maybe I'm just surfing the wave of panic and chaos the forum here often gives us. Maybe there's something great up ahead we don't know about! I want the best for this game, even if it means challenging the creators of the game if I see something that seems off.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#12 2017-04-29 16:28:03, last edited by hummerz5 (2017-04-29 16:42:31)

hummerz5

MrJaWapa wrote:

I think most people would find it obvious that an 8 yr old would not do very well at managing a game. But, I'd like to point out that neither Julian nor Nou (both being adults) were able to help the game grow.

I'm all for not writing off someone based on some particular number, but your argument doesn't make sense... you're almost contradicting yourself by saying "Yes, I don't think young people know what they're doing. But, old people sometimes don't know either."

However, the claim was that young people couldn't help the game. And you agreed with that. To say that old people aren't much better is still suggesting that the advantage is given to the older folk.

BuzzerBee wrote:

People say that can't happen... but I mean it's halfway sourced already (isn't it? people keep making alternate clients). Are we gainsaying its potential because of some related effect of making the source openly available? I'd think the argument about its for-profitness somewhat enters a gray area when we consider what EE would be selling. People aren't buying the game, they're buying things in the game. Essentially someone who'd be getting the upper hand out of this sort of for-profit system would need to basically make an EE2 and then get a comparable following, yes?

EE2. Huh.

edit: zumza essentially said what I said to buzzerbee and those participating in the open-source debate. cool

Wooted by: (2)

#13 2017-04-29 16:42:41

XxAtillaxX

N1KF wrote:

Even I've gotten impatient with UnitEE! NVD has refused to open-source it (and if Dream tells us all we need to know, it's just from disliking the community).

Everybody Edits isn't going to be made open-source.

As far as I'm aware of, you have no expertise in game development nor commercial businesses.
I think it's pretty fair to ask for your professional suggestions to stay within the realm of your experience.

You do like to ask for people to write an essay rebuking your very insightful and very witty comments. I'd like to change it up a bit.

I'm sure many of us would appreciate it if you provided your credentials along with your proposing administrative changes.
I'm certain you have an extensive portfolio of your work, which surely should include some highly successful open-source games?

signature.png
*u stinky*

#14 2017-04-29 16:48:13

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

XxAtillaxX wrote:
N1KF wrote:

Even I've gotten impatient with UnitEE! NVD has refused to open-source it (and if Dream tells us all we need to know, it's just from disliking the community).

As far as I'm aware of, you have no expertise in game development nor commercial businesses.
I think it's pretty fair to ask for your professional suggestions to stay within the realm of your experience.

You do like to ask for people to write an essay rebuking your very insightful and very witty comments. I'd like to change it up a bit.

I'm sure many of us would appreciate it if you provided your credentials along with your proposing administrative changes.
I'm certain you have an extensive portfolio of your work, which surely should include some highly successful open-source games?

Actually, I don't have any history or portfolio of making games.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#15 2017-04-29 16:48:44, last edited by Kira (2017-04-29 17:05:53)

Kira

XxAtillaxX wrote:
N1KF wrote:

Assault Cube, still alive after many years.

Also 2000 players online at the same time isn't what I call successful, so open-sourcing cannot hurt an almost dead game.

Edit: 2048 game as well. Open-sourcing is definitely an idea to consider.

Wooted by:

#16 2017-04-29 17:51:16

XxAtillaxX

N1KF wrote:

[

Colour me surprised.

Kira wrote:

Also 2000 players online at the same time isn't what I call successful, so open-sourcing cannot hurt an almost dead game.

Wow, two games compared to thousands of highly successful closed-source game companies. Definitely an idea to consider.

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by:

#17 2017-04-29 17:52:42

Kira

XxAtillaxX wrote:
N1KF wrote:

[

Colour me surprised.

Kira wrote:

Wow, two games compared to thousands of highly successful closed-source game companies. Definitely an idea to consider.

That's because no one is ever considering the possibility of open-sourcing?

#18 2017-04-29 18:12:53

XxAtillaxX

Kira wrote:
XxAtillaxX wrote:
N1KF wrote:

[

Colour me surprised.

Kira wrote:

That's because no one is ever considering the possibility of open-sourcing?

That's odd. I thought companies tend to seek profitable ventures? Isn't open-source game development more profitable than closed-source game development?

signature.png
*u stinky*

#19 2017-04-29 18:39:04, last edited by Zumza (2017-04-29 18:40:41)

Zumza

XxAtillaxX wrote:
N1KF wrote:

Firstly, I doubt that any member of the current administration had to present credentials from a software company or something similar. I also doubt that their work value was a condition for giving them their authoritative spot. They just happened to be the persons at the right time. I also believe that the vast majority of the players would agree with this.

Secondly, as far as I know we live in the century of information, and if you're interested into a domain, an action, or question, is fairly improbable to not find it on internet. Discussions from people whom their lives / career validated their quality.

Thirdly, I doubt the fact that you, NVD or anyone else involved in this final decision of "Everybody Edits isn't going to be made open-source" have done research into putting in balance the pro/cons.
Most probably you're not even able to give an example of an online open-source game.

Lastly, I also doubt that Julian wished for NVD to transform EE into a milliard dollar company, but rather for him to keep it on a floating line.

Finally, I believe that current staff decisions are made on old patterns and ideas which is wrong. They should rather look up for the opportunities and the new.

And if you are really wondering, even tho I don't see any relevance to it, I do happen to have taken / take commercial business classes.

#20 2017-04-29 19:15:25

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Why do people think that opensourcing is a good idea? You'll get 20 "helpful" people coding separate copies of the game, with conflicting opinions and conflicting, messy code, and it'll result in more work for the staff than if they were to code a given feature themselves.

Anyhow, that's off-topic. NVD may be taking a while to make an announcement, but we don't know what's going on back there until he does, so why not save the criticism until that time.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:

#21 2017-04-29 19:24:18, last edited by Zumza (2017-04-29 19:25:14)

Zumza

Tomahawk wrote:

Why do people think that opensourcing is a good idea? You'll get 20 "helpful" people coding separate copies of the game, with conflicting opinions and conflicting, messy code, and it'll result in more work for the staff than if they were to code a given feature themselves.

Git allows merging between those 20 copies. And not just admins have to review code. It can be a collaborative thing. They've already been working almost 2 years on UnityEE. You think that the current process have been proved efficient?

Wooted by:

#22 2017-04-29 19:33:25

LukeM
Website

The main problem I find is the lack of information...
Even being told 'were working on it, but its going to be ages', or 'sorry, havent been able to work on it this week because ive had some other things I needed to do' would be better than not being told anything

I just find it annoying that the staff seem to promise great changes all the time, but then seem to never talk about it again

I would suggest making weekly, or even just monthly updates on whats happening (similar to the Factorio Friday Facts, where they basically just update people on whats happened that week), this way the community feels much more involved with whats happening, you can get feedback while you're actually making the changes, and you are less likely to end up with people that think nothing is ever done

#23 2017-04-29 20:21:06, last edited by Sensei1 (2017-04-29 20:22:38)

Sensei1

destroyer123 wrote:

The main problem I find is the lack of information...

I completely agree here. Surprises are nice and all, but it's much better if they get feedback from us before anything big gets added.
They'll also be more motivated to work because they know they need to have something to tell us about!

Wooted by: (5)

#24 2017-04-29 21:04:05

BuzzerBee
Forum Admin

I wanted to clarify that this isn't attacking one specific staff member. I wrote "NVD and other staff members" because there are too many to name and the staff changes so often it's hard for me to keep track of.

That being said, I actually was unaware of the plans to scrap UnitEE until Kirby told me after I posted this. I don't think it changes much, though.

Also, sidenote, most of the views expressed in this topic were exaggerated. Sure I want UnitEE, but I mostly just wanted the discussion to be brought up (and hopefully some more juicy forum drama if possible)

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

#25 2017-04-30 05:15:19

Freckleface

Does nobody remember the GIF NVD posted about UnitEE's progress? That showed how much they had completed. The same goes for the UnitEE lobby design that Koya posted about not too long ago. Stop being greedy and enjoy what you got!

F

Guest.1494646729659635

Board footer