Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-11 18:54:36

LukeM
Website

Domain Registrars

I was thinking of setting up my own website (which I would be hosting myself)

I was just wondering which registrar those who have done this before prefer, as after some googling, and reading a lot of contradictory information, I haven't been able to decide on one

#2 2017-04-11 19:01:26, last edited by Zumza (2017-04-11 19:02:59)

Zumza

Re: Domain Registrars

Choosing you registrar depends on what type of TLD you'll want to purchase.
Do you want a common TLD like: .com, .net, .org
Or a regional TLD: .ca, .us, .co.uk
Or a cool TLD like .rock
Or perhaps a cheap long time lasting domain?
There are even free registrars out there depending on what you need and for how long

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#3 2017-04-11 19:03:27

LukeM
Website

Im thinking either .com or .co.uk

I would probably prefer .com, but if there was a big price difference would probably go for .co.uk

#4 2017-04-11 19:16:15

Anatoly

Why not free //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

#5 2017-04-11 19:17:38, last edited by Zumza (2017-04-11 19:18:25)

Zumza

destroyer123 wrote:

Im thinking either .com or .co.uk

I would probably prefer .com, but if there was a big price difference would probably go for .co.uk

.co.uk will be much cheaper for renewing.
GoDaddy is proposing me to buy a .co.uk domain for just 1.20 pounds for the first year but I suspect they might have made me a special deal because I'm not a regional user of that specific TLD.
P.S.: GoDaddy is a good registrar but they don't always have the best deals.

#6 2017-04-11 19:18:58, last edited by LukeM (2017-04-11 19:27:37)

LukeM
Website

AnatolyEE wrote:

Why not free //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

Nothings free
Your paying for the actual registrar to register your domain, for the registry to redirect all the traffic to your site, and for a few other things I cant think of atm

Zumza wrote:

GoDaddy is proposing me to buy a .co.uk domain for just 1.20 pounds for the first year but I suspect they might have made me a special deal because I'm not a regional user of that specific TLD.
P.S.: GoDaddy is a good registrar but they don't always have the best deals.

Ive read that GoDaddy is mostly for hosting, so they try to 'pressure' you into doing that if you are not already, not sure if this is true though

Edit: Also, im thinking more of renewal price than the actual registration price, as im hoping to keep it running for as long as possible

#7 2017-04-11 19:29:07, last edited by Zumza (2017-04-11 19:29:29)

Zumza

destroyer123 wrote:

Ive read that GoDaddy is mostly for hosting, so they try to 'pressure' you into doing that if you are not already, not sure if this is true though

They can pressure you by ads but they can't oblige you. You can use a different registrar and a different hosting company. As far as I understood you want to host it on your on, on your PC I guess.
You will be provided a interface where you'll have to enter the ip of the server your website is hosted at. After that you just have to be sure that the ip remains the same.

#8 2017-04-11 19:36:42

LukeM
Website

Zumza wrote:
destroyer123 wrote:

They can pressure you by ads but they can't oblige you. You can use a different registrar and a different hosting company. As far as I understood you want to host it on your on, on your PC I guess.
You will be provided a interface where you'll have to enter the ip of the server your website is hosted at. After that you just have to be sure that the ip remains the same.

I was just thinking that maybe the ads might get a bit annoying (especially if they are slow to load, or obstruct the screen at all)

Im probably going to be hosting it on a raspberry pi, and have a static IP address, so everything should stay the same

I was also wondering about other features, like how easy it is to switch registrar if you need to, and if changes are made instantly, or if I would need to wait for them

#9 2017-04-11 19:58:30

XxAtillaxX

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a list compiled for all the horrible registrars like GoDaddy and Register, NameCheap, ...etc, so you should read the user-submitted reviews that aren't shills and are real people.

As GoDaddy was previously mentioned, I'd highly recommend avoiding them at all costs - simply put, you get what you pay for; the service is third-rate, slow and horrible in general.

It's a common theme from what I've observed, these services tend to send out unsolicited spam emails begging for your money, during and indefinitely after domain registration, without any option to unsubscribe.
On top of that, you will undoubtedly experience plenty of downtime and an assortment of various issues, of which they will kindly request a sum, a sizable fraction of your domain registration, to pursue a resolution for.

I personally use Dynadot for my domain(s), which I haven't had any issues with.
I would advocate against hosting your own website unless you have a very stable connection.

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by:

#10 2017-04-11 20:20:30

LukeM
Website

XxAtillaxX wrote:

I personally use Dynadot for my domain(s), which I haven't had any issues with.
I would advocate against hosting your own website unless you have a very stable connection.

I have a fairly good connection, I live in the UK, and I've found that most ISPs here are fairly reliable (I'm with plusnet)

Also, ive looked at their page, and Dynadot seems quite good
They dont seem overpriced, and seem to have all the main features you need //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

#11 2017-04-12 16:08:40

AlphaJon

destroyer123 wrote:

I have a fairly good connection, I live in the UK, and I've found that most ISPs here are fairly reliable (I'm with plusnet)

Be careful that people accessing your website will eat up mostly your upload bandwidth, which is often lower than your download bandwidth, the latter being advertised by ISPs.
Also, there are potential security issues linked to the fact that you will be opening up your webserver to the rest of the internet.

#12 2017-04-12 16:31:07

LukeM
Website

AlphaJon wrote:
destroyer123 wrote:

Be careful that people accessing your website will eat up mostly your upload bandwidth, which is often lower than your download bandwidth, the latter being advertised by ISPs.
Also, there are potential security issues linked to the fact that you will be opening up your webserver to the rest of the internet.

I average around 20-30 Mbps down, and 5-10 Mbps up, which I think should be fine for a small website without any large images or anything

Ive looked into port-forwarding, and it seems fairly safe for the rest of the network, and I'm going to run it on a raspberry pi, which doesnt have anything which I wouldnt mind losing / other people having, so I think it should be fine

LukeM1492011067654444

Board footer