Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-26 01:07:26, last edited by drunkbnu (2017-02-26 01:15:53)

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

[Video] A Gtk# bot - Linux support

I've seen so many bots with so many useful features, but they all have a problem in common: they use the Windows Forms GUI Toolkit.
They make the bots usable only on Windows, and downloading Wine (which is heavy) on Linux to run those bots (which, due to the Wine theme, have an horrible appearance) is bad.

I started to work on something that may change this Windows-only environment. A bot that uses Gtk# (GNOME Toolkit). An user-friendly and cross-platform GUI toolkit.
Because the only way to achieve full portability and good appearance on all operative systems, was to use an universal GUI toolkit. In this case, GTK+.

Link to a small video showing the bot being run on Ubuntu.

The objective of using Gtk# is to free the bot from calling the Windows API invoked with Windows Forms, while at the same time, delivering a native appearance to most of the Linux distributions, since they already have GTK+ installed.
Linux users would require Mono to run the bot, which is a cross-platform .NET run-time, instead of an entire Windows run-time (a.k.a. Wine).
Windows users would have to install Gtk# for .NET to use the bot. Gtk# for .NET comes with a native Windows theme so that Gtk# apps look like Windows apps. This way, the native feel stays.

What do you think about a project like this? I personally think it's the time to take the Linux users in consideration.

Wooted by:

#2 2017-02-26 08:12:52

Zumza

Re: [Video] A Gtk# bot - Linux support

Not only it would work on Linux machines now but also on Macs.
Tho I must say, I don't think anyone longer needs bots.  Some years ago they were cool, people were eager to have them in their words, even if they didn't really knew their true functionality.
Nowadays, the only kind of bots people like to see are BALs.

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

Wooted by:

#3 2017-02-26 10:31:38, last edited by LukeM (2017-02-26 10:32:48)

LukeM
Website

Soon, im going to try making a bot using java, because that would mean it would work on basically any platform, and there is a PlayerIOClient for it. This will mean redoing a lot of things, but I think it would be quite good to have cross-platform bots (without some third party compiler or whatever), even if it does mean making them in a different programming language.

Wooted by: (2)

#4 2017-02-26 15:14:56

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

Java is very similar to C#, so you wouldn't have to re-do some things depending on the type of application you want to make. Applets are good to start with. You can also create Java bots for Android.

drunkbnu1488118496648913

Board footer