Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-23 03:06:45, last edited by mrjawapa (2017-01-23 03:09:47)

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

[Suggestion] Swearies Rule

I think the swearies rule should be changed

Unless you're swearing at someone, you're bueno.

Unless you're swearing in long strings of incomprehensible rage, you're bueno.

No more censor evasion (I'd say keep the sexual references as a warnable offense though).

Woot this if you agree :thumbsup:

EDIT:

as for the pictures/vids with the swearies

put them in the spoiler and label them as having swearies.

Discord: jawp#5123

Wooted by: (3)

#2 2017-01-23 03:08:30

hummerz5

Re: [Suggestion] Swearies Rule

fwiw this would probably also to some extent negate this related issue about external swearing.

... which also contains discussion about why swearing is a no vs a yes, etc.

#3 2017-01-23 03:55:16

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

I don't see why swearing is needed on the forum.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#4 2017-01-23 03:58:20

dcomet

what the frank is this

1xxoWGb.png
X6pVnTA.png
@MAMETCHl on twitter for the pfp artist, @snuffyowo on twitter for the character drawn in the pfp.

Wooted by:

#5 2017-01-23 04:52:32

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

N1KF wrote:

I don't see why swearing is needed on the forum.

It's not that it's needed.

It's a part of how people speak. I think it's pretty dumb to say we can't use one word, but we're allowed to use a different one that means the same thing.

#6 2017-01-23 05:39:54

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

MrJaWapa wrote:

I think it's pretty dumb to say we can't use one word, but we're allowed to use a different one that means the same thing.

The thing is, while many may have the same meaning, pretty much nobody genuinely believes that swear words have equal "shock" value as regular words. People use swear words because they're considering "shocking", which is why you don't hear people say "bullpoop" for example. Any sort of "affect" from swearing comes from its shock value. While the shock value decreases the more it's used by a person, they're still generally seen as taboo by society, so people will still use them. If they do become completely accepted, people will just move onto "more offensive" swear words. The cycle just kind of proves how bizarre the concept really is—constantly using the most offensive words possible to spice up sentences.

Since I'd rather not go off-topic and write another full essay on why I think most swearing is lazy and pointless, I'll bring up the issue of family-friendliness. From what I understand, this forum is supposed to be at least somewhat family-friendly since there are rules against anything above PG-13. I'm not sure if there's any official stance on this on the forum however.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#7 2017-01-23 06:53:53

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

WHATEVER N1KF FOR **** SAKE WHY DOES EVERYTHING HAVE TO BE A HUGE **** POLITICAL/MORAL DEBATE WITH YOU IF YOU DON'T AGREE DON'T WOOT

**** me I get tired of this

#8 2017-01-23 07:58:37

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

MrJaWapa wrote:

WHATEVER N1KF FOR **** SAKE WHY DOES EVERYTHING HAVE TO BE A HUGE **** POLITICAL/MORAL DEBATE WITH YOU IF YOU DON'T AGREE DON'T WOOT

I think if you say an opinion, you shouldn't be hostile if you simply just get a response. If you didn't want to discuss it in the first place, you shouldn't have brought it up as such a major point in your post. I wasn't trying to derail the topic; I was trying to bring to attention the "family-friendly" argument in my post. Also, if you genuinely followed the "Don't agree; don't woot" philosophy, you wouldn't keep responding to me. Debating provides both people with knowledge, which benefits them both.

Morality is a very important thing to discuss, since your choices are influenced by your morality every second you're alive. If I can at least make somebody consider a new opinion, I've done something right. It isn't off-topic, as when we consider new rules, we also have to consider the morals and ethics that such a rule would affect. We can't really just hold our ears and go ignoring any sign of moral debate whatsoever just because you throw a fit about it.

Do I make everything a moral debate? Yeah, pretty much. I've gotta those views on morality out there somehow since pretty much nobody in this community openly agrees with me. If I spend hours a week typing on a keyboard, I should at least spend some of those hours typing something meaningful.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#9 2017-01-23 11:04:22

Onjit
Website

my opinion:

filter should stay up for posts

swears in images/videos should be allowed, but in marked spoilers

:.|:;

#10 2017-01-23 13:11:23

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

N1KF wrote:

I've gotta those views on morality out there somehow since pretty much nobody in this community openly agrees with me.

that should tell you something.

Onjit wrote:

my opinion:

We tried that, nothing changed, so thought I'd give a go with something a little different.
But I don't disagree.

#11 2017-01-23 18:07:50

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Onjit wrote:

my opinion:

That seems a bit more reasonable than allowing open swearing on the forum as a whole. What would the policy be on links to other websites?

MrJaWapa wrote:
N1KF wrote:

I've gotta those views on morality out there somehow since pretty much nobody in this community openly agrees with me.

that should tell you something.

I think that's a dangerous assumption you're making there, which I'll explain in a private message. If anybody here actually cares about my opinions just message me and I'll explain why to you too.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#12 2017-01-23 19:31:15

skullz17

MrJaWapa wrote:

I think it's pretty dumb to say we can't use one word, but we're allowed to use a different one that means the same thing.

Here is where you imply that swearing should be treated equally to other words in society as a whole.

MrJaWapa wrote:

**** me I get tired of this

Here is where you act surprised at N1KF for providing a response which also comments on society as a whole.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#13 2017-01-23 22:33:40

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

N1KF wrote:

which is why you don't hear people say "bullpoop"

clearly you havn't been around me
i never swear

if i do swear at u that means ur going to the underground where it's really hot because i never swear

SirJosh39171485207220644613

Board footer