Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2016-11-29 19:56:55

Different55
Forum Admin

Re: mac, pc or linux

I don't know about iOS but OS X is definitely slow. Not that gross, though. I love the font rendering, shadows, rounded corners, and blurred transparency. I can copy all of that on Linux except sort of the font rendering. Linux's font rendering can be pretty good but most people seem to think macOS's is still a bit better.

But yeah it's pretty but slow.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#27 2016-11-29 19:58:03

32OrtonEdge32dh
Website

I prefer macOS but both have pros and cons obviously

32ortonedge32dh.gif

#28 2016-11-30 01:15:28

sthegreat

osx is ok, but the problem is the ridiculously overpriced and underpowered hardware the computers themselves have. plus, apple has decided to go full retard mode lately with the new macbook pro that doesn't even have a usb-a port or proper function keys (not to mention a phone without a headphone jack)

windows is evil and it spys on you, but for video games it is sadly usually necessary.

linux is pretty cool, but sadly not practical a lot of the time due to bad application support.

user.php?id=sthegreat

Wooted by:

#29 2016-11-30 13:26:41, last edited by Zumza (2016-11-30 15:49:32)

Zumza

sthegreat wrote:

the problem is the ridiculously overpriced and underpowered hardware the computers themselves have. plus, apple has decided to go full retard mode lately with the new macbook pro that doesn't even have a usb-a port or proper function keys

I believe that macs are overpriced too. But thinking about what happened to Samsung's Note 7, I would rather spend more than see my house on flames. And yes, I agree that they made a very dumb move. You can't even connect an iPhone to their MacBooks now... And they even removed the SD Card reader, which is even dumber, considering that there are a lot of photographers and film makers which are using Apple's editing software.

Kefka wrote:

iOS is slow

Compared to who? iOS works way better than Android in day to day scenarios on less powerful hardware. If we are comparing in the terms of software quality iOS is faster than Android.
https://www.cnet.com/videos/the-iphone- … xy-note-7/

Different55 wrote:

I don't know about iOS but OS X is definitely slow.
But yeah it's pretty but slow.

I love people who are taking benchmarks of two distinct OS on different hardware. /s
Thought I don't need any benchmark to believe that Linux is faster than macOS.
However the OP didn't ask anything about macOS vs Linux, but macOS vs Windows.

Also, I'm going to leave this link here: http://www.computerworld.com/article/31 … ought.html

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#30 2016-11-30 15:15:26, last edited by Different55 (2016-11-30 15:18:41)

Different55
Forum Admin

Zumza wrote:

I love people who are taking benchmarks of two distinct OS on different hardware. /s
Thought I don't need any benchmark to believe that Linux is faster than macOS.
However the OP didn't ask anything about macOS vs Linux, but macOS vs Windows.

That's two different OSes running the same software on the same hardware. The only difference is the OS, making that a valid comparison of the two. They describe every detail of their testing procedure on the first page and Phoronix is a very reputable source.

- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by:

#31 2016-11-30 23:12:45

Stubby
Website

For me, Windows is best for gaming, while macOS is best for productivity. Windows is great for productivity too, don't get me wrong, but I just prefer the feel of macOS for work.

fgRzols.png

Wooted by:

#32 2016-12-01 03:54:25

Different55
Forum Admin

Not sure I'd agree with productivity. Apple's made a lot of weird choices that at least for me would seriously get in the way of productivity. For example you can't Command+Tab your way to a specific window, only to a specific application. Up until very recently in order to get folders sorted before files you had to resort to a dirty hack by editing some file that put a " " at the beginning of every folder name, making them get sorted first alphabetically. It does have some good things though, Command+Space to get the spotlight search is absolutely amazing and I always install an equivalent such as Albert or Launchy or Rofi or something like that on any other OS I use. But on OS X spotlight is seriously, seriously held back by the performance of the OS itself. I hit Cmd+Space and wait 3 seconds for it to come up, then none of my keystrokes actually show up as I type them. They appear all at once maybe 5-6 seconds after I finish typing along with whatever results spotlight came up with. If I had any typos then I've got to backspace, try again, and wait another 5-6 seconds. It's been this way on every version of macOS I've used above 10.6.8, on a 2012 MacBook Pro and a 2012 MacBook. Then there's the whole thing about the maximize button no longer maximizing windows unless you hold Option down when clicking it, but even when maximizing was the default behavior it was totally broken and would only grow the window until it bumped into one of the sides, it wouldn't actually make it fill as much screen as possible. No idea who thought that was a good idea. Window's got some neat stuff going for it as far as productivity as well, like aero snap or restarting in the middle of what I'm doing without asking and without saving anything. Seriously they could at least do what OS X does and bring everything back up when restarting. But yeah aero snap like spotlight searching is something I always add on to whatever OS I'm using if it doesn't have it OOTB.

- ShinsukeIto

#33 2016-12-01 04:44:30

Stubby
Website

My only experience with macOS was two years (2014-2016) with a 2007 iMac for my graphic design class. The thing worked flawlessly with Adobe Creative Suite 6, even with a lower-end CPU (Core 2 Duo) for today's standards. I never had a single issue with it, except for that one time when Photoshop crashed after trying to apply a heavy blur to a large image, but I knew that was a gamble. One thing I absolutely love about Windows over macOS is aero snap, and being able to scroll in different adjacent windows without clicking on them first. However, I use this feature most when sorting files, or writing papers, the latter being uncommon.

Another thing I like about macOS is the lack of game support. It's a distraction free work environment. My desktop is littered with so many games, I couldn't stay focused for more than 10 minutes. I built my new PC about a month or two ago, so I don't even have MS office or any other productivity programs installed on it, and I don't think I ever will. The only thing stopping me from buying a Mac is the ridiculous prices, and the lack of essential ports on the new models.

fgRzols.png

#34 2016-12-02 02:10:44

Bimps

i like windows more personally, but after watching some of druaga1's videos even more recently i think that mac has more personality when it comes to their os's. like the older ones were nice and **** idk

Wooted by:

#35 2016-12-02 17:35:34

skullz17

Stubby wrote:

Another thing I like about macOS is the lack of game support. It's a distraction free work environment. My desktop is littered with so many games, I couldn't stay focused for more than 10 minutes.

I don't think macOS is necessarily the best solution to your problem. You could just uninstall your games and pretend you're on a mac.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#36 2016-12-02 22:21:42

Stubby
Website

skullz17 wrote:
Stubby wrote:

Another thing I like about macOS is the lack of game support. It's a distraction free work environment. My desktop is littered with so many games, I couldn't stay focused for more than 10 minutes.

I don't think macOS is necessarily the best solution to your problem. You could just uninstall your games and pretend you're on a mac.

Problem with that is I'd be tempted to download games on Windows anyways, but not on macOS. Besides, I didn't buy my GPU just for productivity. What I might do is set up two different accounts on my PC, one for work without any games, and one for just pure gaming/entertainment.

fgRzols.png

#37 2016-12-03 09:19:15

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

Stubby wrote:
skullz17 wrote:
Stubby wrote:

Problem with that is I'd be tempted to download games on Windows anyways, but not on macOS. Besides, I didn't buy my GPU just for productivity. What I might do is set up two different accounts on my PC, one for work without any games, and one for just pure gaming/entertainment.

That's a good point, but i think i'd prefer windows overall. When i just had a mac and not windows i can't count the number of times i couldn't play a game, had to ask "will it come out for mac?" or used ridicolously complicated workarounds to run simple .exe programs. It's definitely not for gamers.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

#38 2016-12-03 09:29:12, last edited by Nebula (2016-12-03 20:11:30)

Nebula

Personally unlocked per request of Bimps.

#39 2016-12-03 20:01:03

Bimps

whirl you are the **** worst why did you lock the other topic

Wooted by: (2)

#40 2016-12-03 20:08:58

Bimps

Whirl wrote:
Bimps wrote:

I'm sorry but duplicates are copies of the threads in the world.
Let's going on.
I'd like Windows, Mac is just pretending to be the bestest.

the last post in this topic is almost a year ago. the original didnt need to be locked. unlock the other topic ****

#41 2016-12-03 20:11:36

Era

Theres a whole **** of operating systems on a linux base, and some on a freebsd base too, i dont see how you would compare a huuuuge number of os's to one windows version and one os x version.

i like some linux os's (like debian), though not so much with others like android.

my favorite OS is definetely debian //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

#42 2016-12-03 20:19:08

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

I started to use Ubuntu since 2010. For me it's the best Linux distribution. I currently use Ubuntu 16.10, but with the GNOME 3 desktop environment.

#43 2016-12-06 08:01:39, last edited by Different55 (2016-12-06 08:02:19)

Different55
Forum Admin

Different55 wrote:

Window's got some neat stuff going for it as far as productivity as well, like aero snap or restarting in the middle of what I'm doing without asking and without saving anything. Seriously they could at least do what OS X does and bring everything back up when restarting.

The other part of this that I was just reminded about:
Windows knows full well when you have unsaved work open. It's been a few years since I've run into this (last time was ~3 years ago in high school until a few moments ago) but if you have stuff open and try to log out or restart it'll warn you and give you the option to call it off. So it knows that you have stuff going on. And it chooses to restart to update anyway. I don't know what tard thought it'd be okay to make updates take precedent over actually using your computer but he and everyone who failed to stop him needs to be fired.

- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by:

Era

#44 2016-12-06 14:41:08

hummerz5

Different55 wrote:

Windows knows full well when you have unsaved work open. It's been a few years since I've run into this (last time was ~3 years ago in high school until a few moments ago) but if you have stuff open and try to log out or restart it'll warn you and give you the option to call it off. So it knows that you have stuff going on. And it chooses to restart to update anyway. I don't know what tard thought it'd be okay to make updates take precedent over actually using your computer but he and everyone who failed to stop him needs to be fired.

I never realized that, but you're definitely right. I remember the struggle of trying to get windows to shut down back in the day. "Yes, I know that's unsaved work. No, I don't care. Yes, I want to shutdown. Yes, I know it's unsaved work. No, I don't care. Yes, I want to shutdown."

So whatever framework they had (or still might have) they decided to ax. Not a fan of that.

(And whose idea was it to say "OK, tell me when you're not using you computer. But make sure it's only one range, and a maximum of twelve hours!")?!

#45 2016-12-06 19:33:16

Different55
Forum Admin

Oh did you merge these? Geez, hummerz, you scared me. I was over here scouring through logs and files looking for how someone could have deleted a whole topic.

hummerz5 wrote:

or still might have

They still have it. I ran into it last night shutting down windows for the day. It insisted that I couldn't restart with one of my scratch documents still open in illustrator. So windows updates just doesn't care about unsaved work or running jobs.

hummerz5 wrote:

(And whose idea was it to say "OK, tell me when you're not using you computer. But make sure it's only one range, and a maximum of twelve hours!")?!

Forgot about that one, too. I was totally dumbfounded when I booted into Windows for the first time in months (after a failed batch of upgrades including the Anniversary Update forced a near-reinstall, anyway) and saw that active hours "feature." There's no consistent, contiguous set of 12 hours where I will always be working. Sometimes I have morning shifts, sometimes evening shifts, rarely a small shift in the middle of the day, sometimes job #2 actually has some hours for me, and those usually last long into the night, sometimes I have classes in the morning. All in all that ends up spanning 20 hours where I often end up working, not 12.  And those 4 hours from 3AM to 7AM where I will definitely not be working ever should be plenty. But whoever's calling the shots at Microsoft HQ has completely lost their mind. They made "Your computer could restart at any moment, nothing can save you" the default state of the device with active hours being the only way to change that outside of completely killing updates, which makes Windows 10 more or less useless for anyone who's not using it as just a facebook browsing machine.

- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by:

Era

#46 2016-12-06 19:41:10

hummerz5

Aggravatingly true
And yes I neglected to sign my handiwork. :[

the work disappears

#47 2016-12-07 05:27:28, last edited by Nebula (2016-12-07 05:27:57)

Nebula

Bimps wrote:

There is no other topics like yours

#48 2016-12-08 01:26:42

Bimps

Whirl wrote:
Bimps wrote:

There is no other topics like yours

leave

#49 2016-12-08 05:26:51

Nebula

Different55 wrote:

Oh did you merge these? Geez, hummerz, you scared me. I was over here scouring through logs and files looking for how someone could have deleted a whole topic.

hummerz5 wrote:

or still might have

They still have it. I ran into it last night shutting down windows for the day. It insisted that I couldn't restart with one of my scratch documents still open in illustrator. So windows updates just doesn't care about unsaved work or running jobs.

hummerz5 wrote:

Forgot about that one, too. I was totally dumbfounded when I booted into Windows for the first time in months (after a failed batch of upgrades including the Anniversary Update forced a near-reinstall, anyway) and saw that active hours "feature." There's no consistent, contiguous set of 12 hours where I will always be working. Sometimes I have morning shifts, sometimes evening shifts, rarely a small shift in the middle of the day, sometimes job #2 actually has some hours for me, and those usually last long into the night, sometimes I have classes in the morning. All in all that ends up spanning 20 hours where I often end up working, not 12.  And those 4 hours from 3AM to 7AM where I will definitely not be working ever should be plenty. But whoever's calling the shots at Microsoft HQ has completely lost their mind. They made "Your computer could restart at any moment, nothing can save you" the default state of the device with active hours being the only way to change that outside of completely killing updates, which makes Windows 10 more or less useless for anyone who's not using it as just a facebook browsing machine.

Apperantly I suggested to merge this.

#50 2016-12-14 11:00:35

GreenyMix
Formerly Snivy2014

Mac. I'm writing with it right now.

GreenyMix1481709635639398

Board footer