Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-29 12:03:37

BuzzerBee
Forum Admin

Androids or iPhones?

I'm surprised this topic hasn't been made before (at least it didn't come up in search).

I've been an Android user for years amidst all my iPhone using friends. I finally decided it was time to give in and get an iPhone as well and so far I'm really liking it (I have the 7, I wanted the 7 Plus but that's nearly impossible to get atm).

Anyway, here are my basic lists of the pros of both phones. I've only had my iPhone for less than a week so I can't say too much about it.

(Note, I am just generalizing Android phones. I know they vary greatly)

Android Pros
Customization
Selection/choice
Affordability
Support

iPhone Pros
They're universal (easy to find accessories bc of the unity)
iMessage
Style
Camera

----

What are your opinions?

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

#2 2016-09-29 12:11:54

Abelysk

Re: Androids or iPhones?

Samsung Galaxy S 5-7 have crazy awesome cameras as well.

Im an Android user, because-because.

#3 2016-09-29 12:52:06

BuzzerBee
Forum Admin

Yeah from what I've noticed, the iPhone cameras don't do so well in low light. But they're still pretty great. There are definitely superior android cameras though.

If you haven't noticed I'm pretty neutral on the subject

TdQRyz3.png

#4 2016-09-29 14:01:42, last edited by Different55 (2016-09-29 14:02:10)

Different55
Forum Admin

Loving my Droid Turbo 2 atm. I have not been able to kill the battery in under 24 hours while every other phone I've had died in 12 under heavy use. iPhones and Androids both suffer from that. Not loving all the bloatware though. Verizon's notorious for not only being really strict about letting its users root their phones but also for stuffing their phones with so much ridiculous preinstalled bloatware. Verizon Navigator, Verizon Caller ID, a thousand other Verizon branded apps, IMDB, NFL Mobile, about a thousand games that thankfully were uninstallable, and this retarded GPS Notifier. I thought Sprint was bad with Sprint ID and Sprint Zone but holy crap Verizon's way worse. But at least on Android you can disable or hide most of the bloatware, even if you can't uninstall it. On my iPad I just have a big folder called "Stuff I will never use and can't uninstall." which isn't a very nice solution. I really cannot stand the way iOS works though. I tried to display a video I made in class over AirPlay. Before I was even able to get to the "AirPlay is a buggy laggy piece of crap" part, I had to deal with "Eat a ****, you aren't allowed to use bluetooth to transfer files from your PC. Yeah, not your phone either. You can't download it from DropBox either, that's right out. Downloading it from a web browser? What are you, crazy? Oh that's cute, he's trying to plug it into his PC and copy it over USB." I had to download some third party app that looks like it was designed by a blind person on adderall and use that to download the video from the web to its own personal app storage space. You know what I'd do on Android? I'd bluetooth it over from my PC and play it in MX Player like a sane person. But no, iOS users need to be protected from doing anything productive so they gimp basic functionality at every turn and make sure every single one of the signature features like AirPlay never actually "just werks."

tl;dr: I use Android because I can actually download flies from my web browser.
Also text wrapping in my browser, can't live without that.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#5 2016-09-29 14:15:23

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

BuzzerBee wrote:

I'm surprised this topic hasn't been made before

because obvs android is better
and from the pros of androids and iphones that you have listed its easy to tell why
what do you mean by listing "imessage" and "style" as iphone pros? is there no equivalent to imessage for androids? define "style" pls, do you mean the design of the phone itself or the interface
also they dont even have a headphones jack on iphone 7 now like wtf lol

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by:

#6 2016-09-29 18:06:25

Different55
Forum Admin

maxi123 wrote:

"imessage"

imessage can be useful if you feel like texting from your PC I guess. There are alternatives like Motorola's Moto Connect, or third party apps like Hangouts that can integrate their own messages with text messages.

Btw about the airplay thing I talked about in my last post, I got the chance to try screen mirroring with a Chromecast and tbqh I was expecting it to be as big of a mess as AirPlay. Minutes before I cast my phone's screen up to the TV, someone tried to AirPlay on their phone and it was a laggy skipping mess again. He ended up grabbing a lightning to hdmi dongle (because despite Apple's visions of a Wireless Future™ it always seems to fall back more and more dongles) and playing his commercial that way. I was expecting Chromecast to end up the same way but nope it was smooth as silk and didn't skip or stutter or freeze. It just worked. It did drop the quality on its head from 1440p to what looked like 480p one time for a second but it never fell behind.

- ShinsukeIto

#7 2016-09-29 18:13:47

BuzzerBee
Forum Admin

maxi123 wrote:
BuzzerBee wrote:

I'm surprised this topic hasn't been made before

because obvs android is better
and from the pros of androids and iphones that you have listed its easy to tell why
what do you mean by listing "imessage" and "style" as iphone pros? is there no equivalent to imessage for androids? define "style" pls, do you mean the design of the phone itself or the interface
also they dont even have a headphones jack on iphone 7 now like wtf lol

The Headphone jack thing is stupid nobody is going to care a year from now it's easy to adapt to a phone without it.

iMessage is great because every iPhone has it and it's integrated into the default messaging app. No longer do I have to ask my friends to download telegram.

Style is p obvious, iPhones look way better than most android phones

Also @Diff the battery life on my iPhone is actually really good, better than my androids

TdQRyz3.png

Wooted by:

#8 2016-09-29 19:32:52

Different55
Forum Admin

BuzzerBee wrote:

Also @Diff the battery life on my iPhone is actually really good, better than my androids

Yeah, the battery life on most smartphones of any kind are pretty bad. Just kind of highlighting the flexibility of Android phones. If battery life is a big priority for you, there are phones out there that are made for you. If you don't like something about the iPhone, and it's anything more than "I don't like the screen size" then you're screwed.

- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by:

#9 2016-09-29 19:34:54, last edited by hummerz5 (2016-09-29 19:35:23)

hummerz5

Different55 wrote:
BuzzerBee wrote:

Yeah, the battery life on most smartphones of any kind are pretty bad. Just kind of highlighting the flexibility of Android phones. If battery life is a big priority for you, there are phones out there that are made for you. If you don't like something about the iPhone, and it's anything more than "I don't like the screen size" then you're screwed.

Yeah, I don't like how my phone fits in my pocket. Could you fix that? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

I can't really say one way or the other on this topic;  I only have an ipod
edit: no, I was completely wrong about the year.

#10 2016-10-02 18:10:31

Breadfinn

Samsung > Apple
iOs > Android

5671.jpg

#11 2016-10-02 18:25:31, last edited by Nebula (2016-10-02 18:25:47)

Nebula

Breadfinn wrote:

Samsung > Apple
iOs > Android

how iOS > Android?
Just wondering.

#12 2016-10-05 09:26:57

Formerly alkazam1448
Website

Android is the best. At least where I live, because iPhones are much more expensive here. I'm not telling you where, though
Even with that extra expense, many of the features are either copied or have an equivalent on Android.

Look at iOS 1.10 for example. AirTouch being one of the most important things, was already available on Samsung. Even S5s have AirTouch.

Anyways, the main reason why I like Android is because of the awesome community behind it. I have a legacy 2012 phone (hey, don't judge me), but it has so many custom ROMs designed for it, and that too, by people who don't even work for Android.
iPhone 7? Nothing. Except maybe official Apple ROMs. Nothing other than that.

Android is like Minecraft. Minecraft allows you to literally modify its game files, and (in most devices) Android does too. This is exactly why both of them have gained popularity.

This is not exactly the first time I've argued on behalf of Android.

#13 2016-10-05 15:01:21

Different55
Forum Admin

Literally what is AirTouch

- ShinsukeIto

#14 2016-10-05 15:18:06, last edited by MartenM (2016-10-05 15:20:01)

MartenM
Website

I like them both.

Hidden text

Edit: This discussion is actually quite weird. Android is a operating system and an Iphone is, well, a phone.

lm3hgg8.jpg

Ingame: marten22        My steam: MartenM

#15 2016-10-05 17:25:36

Anatoly

I prefer BlackBerry
Blackberry-Q10-transparent.png

Of course i love iphones!

#16 2016-10-05 17:38:43

jonhvictor2004sonic

3310.jpg

tfw wen u made another account just because you forgot your pass

#17 2016-10-05 17:40:42

Vitalijus
Website

iPhones are phones for girls since what most of the girls want in the phone is Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram and a good camera.

wn7I7Oa.png

#18 2016-10-05 23:44:23

Freckleface

Well imo Iphones are better (never really had one but from looking at other peoples phones).

But what really looks cool is Project ARA

F

#19 2016-10-06 00:41:41, last edited by Pingohits (2016-10-06 00:41:59)

Pingohits
Banned

Freckleface wrote:

Well imo Iphones are better (never really had one but from looking at other peoples phones).

But what really looks cool is Project ARA

man i was going to say that

by the way google's not the only one (that's two links if you didn't notice)

791mAP8.png

#20 2016-10-06 01:17:03

32OrtonEdge32dh
Website

(I started rambling and I don't feel like making it easier to read so here it is)

MartenM wrote:

Edit: This discussion is actually quite weird. Android is a operating system and an Iphone is, well, a phone.

iPhones and iOS go hand in hand, iPhones run iOS and iOS runs on iPhones.  You can't really discuss one without the other because of how integrated they are.

That's part of the problem with a debate about them, how integrated Apple's software and hardware are and how unintegrated Android software can be with the many different devices that run it.  You can be sure that if you're using an iPhone (or an iPad or iPod or whatever) that you're getting the proper iOS experience.  The software and hardware are all designed in-house and are made to work with each other to the best of their ability, which is one of the reasons why an iPhone 6s Plus with two cores and 2GB of RAM can outperform the new Pixel with four cores and 4GB.  You know your brand new iPhone is going to be supported by software updates for years to come.  Devices as old as the iPhone 5 and the fourth generation iPad, both from 2012, can run iOS 10, and with the way technology has been advancing over the past decade, a four year old device may as well be ancient.  iPhone 7 and 7 Plus are the only phones shipping with iOS 10, and while they have already captured over 3.6% of the entire iPhone market, iOS 10's adoption rate is over 50%, with iOS 9 holding 42% and older versions at just 3%.  Now look at how fractured Android is, with more users running Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.4) than Nougat (7.0).  There are over 1300 brands making tens of thousands of different devices that run Android.  There is no singular Android hardware, there is no singular Android experience.  Different manufacturers have different versions of Android that work on their devices and have different features, different stock apps, different bloatware, et cetera.  Many users wait months just to be able to get the latest version because of their manufacturer or carrier or whoever; iOS doesn't have that problem.

Another thing that makes them hard to compare is that they have different goals in mind.  iOS and iPhones are supposed to "just work."  Out of the box, they have all the features most users want, with no learning curve for anyone even moderately tech savvy.  With Android, a draw is that they're more customizable with more settings that may take the user a longer time to set to their liking, meaning a shorter trial may not reveal all that it has to offer.

Personally, to bring it back to the main debate, I prefer iOS over Android for quite a few reasons.  I'm not a big fan of material design, I prefer Apple's design language.  iMessage is obviously a big draw.  App developers tend to develop for iOS first, so getting apps first if not at the same time as others is a plus.  Being in the Apple ecosystem influences my choice too, as I use macOS and I appreciate the integration between my iPhone and my computer.  I prefer the look of Apple products, as well as the consistent build quality and great customer service when anything goes wrong.  You can have a full experience using multiple apps in one easy process.  Someone can send a group message with a restaurant reservation and I can tell them I'm coming, put my order in ahead of time, and call an Uber to take me there, all without ever having to leave the Messages app or open any other.  While iPhones aren't impervious to malware or hacks, iOS has a slightly lower market share in the US and a much lower share worldwide, which means that most nasty stuff out there targets Android, and so iOS users are generally safe from attacks.  Touch ID is something I use a lot, and I've never had a real problem with it while some friend on Android have problems with their fingerprint scanners.

As for drawbacks, I can name many that I experience.  Apple's reluctance toward letting third party apps into their walled garden seems to be slowly breaking down with iOS 10 and beyond, but they still actively discourage developers from creating apps that serve the same purpose as stock apps (browsers, levels, calculators) and don't allow third party apps to be set as defaults, which is understandable but can be a drawback when those apps have features that the stock apps don't.  Features like a system-wide dark mode still aren't implemented, and can't be implemented properly without jailbreaking, while Android developers have more access to the system and can add features like that.  If you're not an iTunes user, it's a little harder to manage your Apple devices through a computer (not a problem I face, but it's a problem for many).  Switching your battery seems to be a dying feature, but it was never a feature of iPhones, and I'd prefer to be able to carry an extra battery or two and not worry about power instead of having to charge whenever I can at times where I'm out for an extended period.  Being able to download music, unpack .zips, and generally interact with files is a big plus that Android has that iOS doesn't.  Many phones with Android allow for expandable storage, whereas iPhones don't.  The price of iPhones can be prohibitive when you compare them to some downright cheap non-flagship phones that run Android, but you get what you pay for in most cases.

What works for you is what you should use.  There's a lot that my opinion doesn't take into account.  I don't use anything like HomeKit, so I can't say whether iOS or Android has an advantage in home automation.  I use Bluetooth extremely rarely, I don't use video calling, I don't use virtual assistants (Siri, Google Now, Cortana), I don't use VPNs, I don't do a whole lot of turn-by-turn navigation with my phone, I don't often download new apps or change my use habits.  Your decision basically boils down to what you can afford, what UI you prefer, what level of customization you need, and which operating system offers the best tools to fit your needs, be it settings, applications, whatever.  For me, iOS is in my budget, has a UI I prefer, lets me customize the things I want to, and fits all my needs, so I prefer it.

32ortonedge32dh.gif

Wooted by:
32OrtonEdge32dh1475713023628178

Board footer