Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-18 05:07:24

Bobithan

[idea] simple timer bot

hi i would like a simple bot that announces the amount of time that it took for a user to make it from point A to point B, and maybe records user times and stores them locally sorted from fastest to slowest, and maybe even allows for multiple time trials to exist in a world at the same time with orange switches or something idk. that would be pretty awesome

#2 2016-09-18 05:08:56, last edited by Slabdrill (2016-09-18 05:09:16)

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

Re: [idea] simple timer bot

i'd actually make that right now if i knew how to C#
(it's pretty simple)

suddenly random sig change

#3 2016-09-18 05:09:25, last edited by hummerz5 (2016-09-18 05:16:06)

hummerz5

12345678908642 wrote:

i'd actually make that right now if i knew how to C#

oh looks like you need glasses

you're saying to use the orange switches as the endpoint? That's both the best way (that is, hitting a block) and the worst way. It's easy to work with as a programmer, and it's easy for a clever little WPE Pro kid to cheat on.

edit:
reminiscing time. The program I made to just respond to random events in EE would almost be able to handle that strain, but I never gave it a timer option. Just easy mix and match responses like "User got crown?" "Kill user!" etc.

edit:
lol it was horribly made though. I hope all the copies of it have evaporated.

edit:
but yeah, using orange ticks or something would do the trick. Given the large space available for those things, you could probably even just reserve a number range like 950-999. Also, you should review tomahawk(?)'s examination of ping times and how accurate they are given latency. Long story short, a longer timed trial would be more accurate.

#4 2016-09-18 05:38:43, last edited by Bobithan (2016-09-18 05:46:59)

Bobithan

i was kinda thinking something where you could possibly set up pairs. like if you go through switch 0 the timer starts, and if you go through switch 1 it ends. maybe just have pairs set up by default to just be every two ids (0-1, 2-3, 4-5, etc) and have a way to disable certain ids from functioning with the bot if need be. then you could place any pair in the range of switch ids and the bot would automatically know that they are supposed to be paired up, and if that's not wanted just have a command to tell the bot to ignore those switches.

not too worried about cheating since any times would just be recorded to the bot owner's computer in a .txt or something and they would be easy to ignore

lag does suck but i guess just ignore it and go for longer runs as you said.

kinda related: once i tried using curse to record time taken by sending the player down a chute of coins after completing a challenge with some curse time still left but since that's all within a minute it was super inaccurate, with an error of around +/- 50 coins iirc, which amounts to i think an error of +/- 1 second, which really sucks, but what can ya do. i remember those were extremes though; most trials were somewhere around the middle (but still inaccurate).

edit: but looking at tomahawk's topic the error seems to be a lot smaller than that; i guess chutes of coins isn't the best method of measurement. considering this i personally wouldn't mind just saying 'screw it' and have the bot record to a hundredth of a second despite latencies

Wooted by:

#5 2016-09-18 14:49:12

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Bobithan wrote:

edit: but looking at tomahawk's topic the error seems to be a lot smaller than that; i guess chutes of coins isn't the best method of measurement. considering this i personally wouldn't mind just saying 'screw it' and have the bot record to a hundredth of a second despite latencies

I suppose I could always let the user set the precision, and leave it to them whether to display those times like they're reliable (*cough* Jesse ExShift +-1ms *cough*), and perhaps that's OK if it takes more than a few seconds to get from A to B. Hell, you could set it to 0.001ms or less given that most EE players don't know a thing about bots.

I deleted the bot when I found that a reliable precision of about 0.1s was too large for its intended purposes, but I can probably bang out some code and a terrible GUI if you're keen enough.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by: (2)

#6 2016-09-18 18:50:24

Bobithan

Tomahawk wrote:

but I can probably bang out some code and a terrible GUI if you're keen enough

yes I would love this. So long as it works I would be very happy

#7 2016-09-18 22:08:50

dylantherabbit

Bobithan wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

but I can probably bang out some code and a terrible GUI if you're keen enough

yes I would love this. So long as it works I would be very happy

I don't think the girls like your euphemism

Leader of The Rabbit Squad | Managed to annoy an entire IRC for the lols. They went salty and banned me for a ridiculous time and now they want to ban me from EE itself. Learn to not be so salty peeps //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
The Rabbit Games Progress: 100%
011f32505ac447d098d4d5f1650d620d.png

dylantherabbit1474232930623578

Board footer