Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-13 02:51:28, last edited by SirJosh3917 (2016-10-26 20:41:14)

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

Off EE - Beta Bugtesters

I'll reopen this topic when/if i need more bug testers

I need bugtesters for Off EE.

Who I need:

-Programmers

-Hardcore game buggers

-Regular Players

Why I need:

-Programmers:

You are the main bug tester. You get to create mods, and find out ways on how to abuse Off EE's mod system. I need you to keep Off EE safe, while you have fun abusing it.

-Hardcore game buggers

You are the dudes who are hardcore at breaking games. Usually you guys are a form of programmers, because you need to decompile the program and find it's weaknesses, but I need you to completely break the game.

-Regular Players

You are the regular players, who will just play with it normal. You can go into the data folder, and mess with some of the files there and tweak the game, and find bugs by editing stuff in the data folder and regularly playing.

What to do when a bug appears:

1) Write exactly what you did up untill the bug

2) Write the causes you think are the cause of the bug

3) Describe what data you modified, and if you made a mod, the source code of the mod

How to become a bug tester:

1) PM ME. If you do not pm me, you will not be allowed to be a bug tester. Make sure you name the PM topic "Off EE Bug Testing" (caps don't matter)

2) Listen for my reply. If I say yes, that means you are a bug tester, and will eventually receive the game, and if you're a programmer, instructions on how to make a Mod.

3) Be patient. Like I said in step 2, you will eventually receive a copy of the game.

And once you have received the game:

4) Play it, modify it, tweak it, screw with it, bleep it up. I want you to exploit the game in every possible way, I want you to abuse the heck out of it, so I can fix all the bugs.

5) Report the bugs you find in the manner i told you.

6) Give feedback on the game, whether or not you think people will enjoy it, and if you thought the game was better than expected, or worse than expected. Give me ideas on what to implement next.

Special notes for programmers

Since you're a bug tester programmer, you get special things, like source code, a guide on how to make Mods, and I'll also be requesting help from you to make new features (if I need help)

#2 2016-09-14 20:05:37

AlphaJon

Re: Off EE - Beta Bugtesters

I have a few questions.

Why is asking to be a tester (and be accepted) needed to get the program? Before the revamp, it was open source and free to use for anyone.

What are the changes in the program that made you not want to straight release the program? You mention mods and a rewrite, but in my opinion these are just extra reasons for the program to be public.

Why a separate topic? An update in the existing one about off EE would have been enough (again, just my 2 cents).

Wooted by:

#3 2016-09-14 21:34:55

SirJosh3917

AlphaJon wrote:

I have a few questions.

Yay time to prepare for hate questions.

AlphaJon wrote:

Why is asking to be a tester (and be accepted) needed to get the program?

It has tons of bugs, and I need to have them all exploited and then release it. As the bugs go on, the source code on github will improve. The reason I'm putting the source code on github as the bug testing goes on, is because:
1) The programmers need the source code
and 2) Only programmers could compile it ( or at least people who know how to compile stuff

AlphaJon wrote:

What are the changes in the program that made you not want to straight release the program?

The changes? Well, it adds a better GUI, it's being re-written in monogame as to improve performance rate, and because of the performance rate and not having to deal with a picture box, I can make actual rendering and actual physics.

Also, mods add a whole layer to the game. Mods can do anything from recording keystrokes (only A-Z, 0-9, and space), to drawing a raw picture on the screen at any X or Y location, sending chat messages ( yes there'll be chat ofc for mod communication ) and since OffEE doesn't reply on internet speed to place blocks, you could make an animation, by modifying raw world data. Add that to the fact that the game will be completely customizable, such as you can edit the data folder, and alone without even needing to make mods, you can make texture packs, edit the default hotbar blocks, choose some rendering properties, e.t.c, but with mods you can add your own custom blocks, draw images to certain X Y co-ordinates, y'know I could just go on and on but I'll leave it at that.

AlphaJon wrote:

Why a separate topic?

For questions like these.

#4 2016-09-15 12:52:57

Zumza

Sorry, but i don't know what is Off EE or what is an Off EE mod.

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#5 2016-09-15 21:21:21

AlphaJon

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

It has tons of bugs, and I need to have them all exploited and then release it. As the bugs go on, the source code on github will improve. The reason I'm putting the source code on github as the bug testing goes on, is because:
1) The programmers need the source code
and 2) Only programmers could compile it ( or at least people who know how to compile stuff

What I meant, is that the community is already small enough. Open alpha/beta/whatever would give much better results than a closed one. I understand there are bugs, but you'll have a better time if users aren't forced to ask to be able to test.

The questions are just meant to help you with your project //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#6 2016-09-16 02:23:19

dylantherabbit

I'd love to try it  as an exe or something and be a tester for fun, I never found out how to Github though lol

Leader of The Rabbit Squad | Managed to annoy an entire IRC for the lols. They went salty and banned me for a ridiculous time and now they want to ban me from EE itself. Learn to not be so salty peeps //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
The Rabbit Games Progress: 100%
011f32505ac447d098d4d5f1650d620d.png

#7 2016-09-16 16:37:14

Calyfornia

dylantherabbit wrote:

I'd love to try it  as an exe or something and be a tester for fun, I never found out how to Github though lol

RpGW7mG.png did you even try?

EENeat | Teaches itself how to play EE (Made in partnership with Jesse)
Rider   | Cross-platform, alternative C# IDE by JetBrains.

#8 2016-09-17 07:53:42

capasha

What is this program going to do? I didn't see anything in the first post what "Off EE" is.

#9 2016-09-17 07:56:59, last edited by Vinyl Melody (2016-09-17 07:57:24)

Vinyl Melody
Formerly BananaMilkShake

capasha wrote:

What is this program going to do? I didn't see anything in the first post what "Off EE" is.

My guess is just regular offline EE with addable mods.

cb0de83627.png
Thanks to: Ernesdo (Current Avatar), Zoey2070 (Signature)

Very inactive, maybe in the future, idk.

#10 2016-09-17 20:02:25

SirJosh3917

capasha wrote:

See the Off EE topic, it's a C# version of EE but offline, re-written in monogame. It's going to add the ability for mods, which are basically bots 2.0, that adds a whole bunch of stuff, such as custom blocks, textures, instantly placing blocks, and some other features i wont bother telling yet

#11 2016-09-17 20:46:19

MBlood

The idea looks good, but why having a closed beta when you can have the whole community to test it.

Away.

#12 2016-09-17 21:35:35

SmittyW

MBlood wrote:

The idea looks good, but why having a closed beta when you can have the whole community to test it.

Because it's "private". Everyone in this community is private with their projects which ironically kills the openness factor of Everybody Edits. Maybe it's paranoia, like everyone thinks their stuff is worth stealing or everyone's a thief.

Wooted by:

#13 2016-09-17 21:48:28

SirJosh3917

MBlood wrote:

Just PM me to become one of the testers.

The main reason for is, is because as tomahawk once said:

Tomahawk wrote:

People would appreciate it if you didn't release [Debug] or [Testing] versions of your software. Test and bugfix it yourself, then release it when it's ready.

And now all the sudden people dislike me for doing it like that //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

All you have to do is send me a PM saying you want to be a tester

SmittyW wrote:
MBlood wrote:

Because it's "private". Everyone in this community is private with their projects which ironically kills the openness factor of Everybody Edits. Maybe it's paranoia, like everyone thinks their stuff is worth stealing or everyone's a thief.

The source code will be on github while it's in bug testing.

#14 2016-09-18 00:37:41

AlphaJon

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

We know we can do that. But the thing is, we don't want to do that. Let's face it, you're not getting far by staying closed.

#15 2016-09-18 02:03:43, last edited by MBlood (2016-09-18 02:07:30)

MBlood

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

[...]

But you're not submitting a released project, you're submitting a beta and unstable project to find issues, like all the developers do. Example: Battlefield 1

Away.

#16 2016-09-18 03:18:52

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

AlphaJon wrote:
ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

We know we can do that. But the thing is, we don't want to do that. Let's face it, you're not getting far by staying closed.

actually the amount of effort to make a PM is similar to the amount of effort required to download and run the file

suddenly random sig change

#17 2016-09-18 12:51:59

den3107

Does anybody know why we have the "term" TL;DR;? Because most don't like reading.
All the people will see is: Ohh an application/bot, let's download and use it!
And 5 minutes later people come in raging that ****'s bugged because they didn't know it was an alpha/beta.

I personally think those posts actually make up ~70% of the hate ninja gets, and that's a bad thing, from the community.

TL;DR;
Making an open alpha/beta, people won't read the alpha/beta part and just use it and end up b**ing about all the bugs, instead of decently reporting them like requested.
Making it closed forces people to really know what they're doing.

Wooted by:
den31071474199519623464

Board footer