Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-25 15:59:36, last edited by Anatoly (2016-06-25 15:59:46)

Anatoly

Languages are too hard

Topic questions is: Should there be a language, which all people speak, so there won't be anything like:

> Hallo, wie kommt man zum Hauptbahnhof? (en.: Hello, how to get to the main train station?)

> Sorry, what?

A good question - Nobody is able to speak unlimited languages, or this:

> Мы уничтожем тот район, и настанит новая ера! Ера где славятьса русский народ! (en.: We will destroy that city place, and there will be a new era! The time when russian will be respected.)

> Just two Russians are speaking, let's ignore them and spy someone else!

If you know 5 languages you are a pro

Source: In terms of living people, a candidate for the record holder is Ziad Fazah, who reportedly claims to speak around 60 languages

problem: How to let people speak one language, for example why not English?

Wooted by: (3)

#2 2016-06-25 16:59:12, last edited by DULL (2016-06-25 17:02:06)

DULL

Re: Languages are too hard

Languages evolve. Sooner or later such one language will become many different languages anyway. It's just pointless imo.

Also, just saying, that Russian text of yours has 7 8 mistakes in it.

Wooted by: (3)

#3 2016-06-25 17:37:49

Koya
Fabulous Member

DULL wrote:

Languages evolve. Sooner or later such one language will become many different languages anyway. It's just pointless imo.

Speaking to an Ausie or a Kiwi I don't understand everything they say, English has evolved so much that 2 English speakers may be missing information.

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#4 2016-06-25 17:39:19

MBlood

I know 2 languages, al menos //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Away.

#5 2016-06-25 18:03:58

Prodigy

I am the bilingual. At times google translate could help me translate what other people are saying. I only know English and Spanish.

h0qIF0q.png

#6 2016-06-25 19:19:59

Zumza

There are people who are trying to do exactly what you mentioned. To create a totally new language which isn't country / nation related. And this one language is called Esperanto. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto
Also remember that royalties learned up to 10 languages. But the smart phones results in dull people.

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#7 2016-06-25 19:36:59

Gosha

You know Russian with some mistakes //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
Source :
Мы уничтожем тот район, и настанит новая ера! Ера где славятьса русский народ!
Without mistakes:
Мы уничтожим тот район и наступит новая эра! Эра где будет славяться русский народ!

Russian is very hard language to learn (even for russian)
So I would like to have union language
But there is a problem: it is not possible because people are different
Like.. people in Africa won't know word "snow" because they won't use it for ages and forget about that
Also same language can "evolute" in different places
(For example if somebody from east Russia will arrive in west Russia they will understand each other badly, but they speak same "russian" language)

#8 2016-06-25 22:23:06

sthegreat

It would be great to have one language for everyone, but that would be too hard to implement right now. Maybe in the future we can do it under a single world government, but that seems a long long ways off. We could also instead use a Babel fish translator hearing aids, and eliminate the problem another way.

Since everyone is discussing languages, I know fluent English and decent Spanish myself.

user.php?id=sthegreat

#9 2016-06-25 22:27:27

Koya
Fabulous Member

Anatoly, have you looked at Esperanto?

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#10 2016-06-25 23:00:29

hummerz5

yeah I just do English and that's pretty rough.

DULL wrote:

languages do indeed diversify, but the languages will split slower than your lifetime, so you can't argue that you'll fall behind on them...

unless we get longer lives or languages really speed up.

I took a class or two of Spanish. I certainly have forgotten a lot. And then, of course, I could only tell you about limited things in a train station, on a dinner table, or on a city street. Lol

#11 2016-06-25 23:06:11

Koya
Fabulous Member

hummerz5 wrote:

DULL wrote:

languages do indeed diversify, but the languages will split slower than your lifetime, so you can't argue that you'll fall behind on them...

I took a class or two of Spanish. I certainly have forgotten a lot. And then, of course, I could only tell you about limited things in a train station, on a dinner table, or on a city street. Lol

Colloquialisms are change in short periods of time which become accepted and used by a wide number quickly but may not become official for a while but nonetheless part of the language. Why do loads of words get added to the dictionary every year and why do some get removed?

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#12 2016-06-25 23:50:53

Emma333

I love that there's different languages. I'm bad at learning them, but I do love listening to them. Listening to Arabic, French, Italian and Spanish music is wonderful, it'd be a shame if they didn't exist. Also the diversities in vocabulary are amazing. I heard Arabic is a very poetic language, and I'm sure there's a lot more very interesting lagnuages I don't know about yet.
I do agree that everyone should learn English as 2nd language though.

Pm me with anything math related please

Wooted by:

#13 2016-06-25 23:58:03

DULL

hummerz5 wrote:

DULL wrote:

Does it matter how fast they change though? I mean there's no point in setting up a single language for 1, or 2, or 3, or 100 generations as splitting is inevitable. Doing it over and over again only for them to split again? Well, I don't know. Maybe that's going to be much easier in the future with the rise of communication etc but idk. I'm not against this idea, I just think it's not worth it. Imagine how difficult it would be to convince the world to adopt a new global language every time.

#14 2016-06-26 01:21:43

hummerz5

Koya wrote:
hummerz5 wrote:

DULL wrote:

Colloquialisms are change in short periods of time which become accepted and used by a wide number quickly but may not become official for a while but nonetheless part of the language. Why do loads of words get added to the dictionary every year and why do some get removed?

You're right, they're changing. They aren't being completely replaced or declared defunct. Indeed, some words fade away. Many of the "loads of words [that are] added" are used similarly across multiple languages. Point being, the world isn't going to (naturally) switch from English to Spanish in a day, or in a lifetime. English syntax will not be dramatically changed, no matter how many random words you choose to add in your lifetime. Again, I'm just arguing that you can't say "these languages are useless to me to learn" solely due to the fact that they'll be outmoded. That's not how it works.

DULL wrote:
hummerz5 wrote:

DULL wrote:

Does it matter how fast they change though? I mean there's no point in setting up a single language for 1, or 2, or 3, or 100 generations as splitting is inevitable. Doing it over and over again only for them to split again? Well, I don't know. Maybe that's going to be much easier in the future with the rise of communication etc but idk. I'm not against this idea, I just think it's not worth it. Imagine how difficult it would be to convince the world to adopt a new global language every time.

Sorry, what idea do you think I think you're pushing, or what idea do you think I'm pushing? I imagine languages are liable to become one major one, or perhaps at least slow down, as you mentioned with global communication.

Of course, once there is one major one, it'd be the entire roller coaster

dunno, I'm not a linguistic major

#15 2016-06-26 03:58:04

Languages and idioms are important parts of culture and cultural identity. An attempt at creating an universal language would never, ever work unless we were in some 1984 hivemind sort of thing. As much as I hate struggling with second languages (as you guys in EE Discord know very well //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad ), this idea is almost infuriating for me.

Wooted by:

#16 2016-06-26 12:46:29

Anatoly

Koya wrote:

Anatoly, have you looked at Esperanto?

Yes, I knew about it earlier, thats just a tooic for it.

#17 2016-06-27 20:29:32

Hostage
Banned
Website

I'm Serbian and i can speak English pretty fluently.
hahahha im better than u haha!!!!

35fa6ee9efa7e42687d426ffeba72dbdb9a95cbfb7d221d698ca2146feebab7c.jpg

#18 2016-06-28 16:03:21

Anatoly

Hostage wrote:

I'm Serbian and i can speak English pretty fluently.
hahahha im better than u haha!!!!

I am russian and i can speak my own created languages fluently.
hahahahha im better than u haha!!!!

Wooted by:

#19 2016-06-28 17:05:20

XxAtillaxX

All languages seem to have the same amount of relative difficulty to a toddler, wherein language learning is at its highest potential.
Their phonemic awareness abilities are relatively the same regardless of the amount, in any given language.

As it's been observed, languages evolve, grow old and die.
There may be a single language left in the distant future, which would encompass the most successful traits of the previous languages.

I think the multicultural diversity shouldn't be impeded for the sake of globalisation beyond current language such as facial & body expressions.
It seems like English is the current leading global language, although Chinese and it's dialects or variants are used in higher figures relative to English.

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by:

#20 2016-06-28 17:09:04

Processor

AnatolyEE wrote:

If you know 5 languages you are a pro

I know 5 languages and I am a processor. Persian, English, German, a bit of Arabic, a bit of Spanish.

I have never thought of programming for reputation and honor. What I have in my heart must come out. That is the reason why I code.

Wooted by: (2)

#21 2016-06-28 17:33:27

Onjit
Website

Koya wrote:
DULL wrote:

Speaking to an Ausie or a Kiwi I don't understand everything they say, English has evolved so much that 2 English speakers may be missing information.

What the hell did you just bloody say about me, you bloody drongo? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Royal Air Force, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Emus, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in kangaroo warfare and I’m the top boomerang thrower in the entire Australian armed forces. You arpe nothing to me but just another sausage on the barbie. I will wipe you the hell out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before in this here bush, mark my bloody words. You think you can get away with saying that bull to me over the Internet? Think again, mate. As we seak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the Pacific Ocean and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, mate. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re done. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Australian Armed Forces and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable booty off the face of the continent, you little bugger. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your bloody tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, bloody drongo. I will put fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re bloody dead, mate.

:.|:;

Wooted by: (2)

#22 2016-06-28 17:44:33

Koya
Fabulous Member

Onjit wrote:
Koya wrote:
DULL wrote:

What the hell did you just bloody say about me, you bloody drongo? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Royal Air Force, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Emus, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in kangaroo warfare and I’m the top boomerang thrower in the entire Australian armed forces. You arpe nothing to me but just another sausage on the barbie. I will wipe you the hell out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before in this here bush, mark my bloody words. You think you can get away with saying that bull to me over the Internet? Think again, mate. As we seak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the Pacific Ocean and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, mate. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re done. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Australian Armed Forces and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable booty off the face of the continent, you little bugger. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your bloody tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, bloody drongo. I will put fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re bloody dead, mate.

In your defense I only didn't understand "drongo"

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#23 2016-06-28 20:28:46

jbbill

The most many people are our bi or trilingual (except for people who regularly go abroad/once/twice a year/) the best thing you can do for more languages is not be in a country whos native tounge is english for example if in spain youll learn spanish and english both at an early age but in Uk? not so much

MCUtZoK.png
Made by HG //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile(and avatar)

#24 2016-06-29 12:51:06

Onjit
Website

Koya wrote:
Onjit wrote:
Koya wrote:
DULL wrote:

that's cuz i went on easy on you mate now choof off

:.|:;

Wooted by:

#25 2016-06-29 20:45:25

jbbill

Onjit wrote:
Koya wrote:
Onjit wrote:
Koya wrote:
DULL wrote:

that's cuz i went on easy on you mate now choof off

Is arpe even english? or seak?

MCUtZoK.png
Made by HG //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile(and avatar)

jbbill1467229525610448

Board footer