Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-04 20:46:04

abrar11

[Bot Idea]

Incoming wall of text

So basically the idea I had was

A website available to the public in which you can save your levels and other people can go on this website and copy their world url and give edit to the bot in which the bot copys the world meaning
many players can test this sort of map and implement certain bits.
However there's a catch
you should also be able to save certain bits of your world in which other players can paste into their world for example if I make art saying 'hello' and save the area with 2 blocks (widthxheight) then other people can place 1 block in their world
and the bot will create that piece of art from the block placed being the top left meaning people can use other's art in their world if their owner lets them, and on the website there could be a list ranked in terms of most popular - least popular but you can also
name your builds/levels so other people can search for things specifically!

This wouldn't be hard to make but pretty time consuming!

#2 2016-06-04 20:51:23, last edited by hummerz5 (2016-06-04 20:52:16)

hummerz5

Re: [Bot Idea]

or, we could use an image sharing service to simply swap photos of peoples' artwork ... considerably easier. plus, existing ee artist software would easily convert the minimap image into the actual artwork again.

I'm rather conservative, it would seem.

edit, so my entire post isn't just a slash:
I do like the idea of comparing artwork with a ranking system. Sorta suggests a community-ish spotlight. would be cool.

#3 2016-06-04 23:39:10

den3107

The problem is you'd need a server for that, which costs money. Or have your PC running 24/7, which generally isn't that great.

It is a nice idea though.

#4 2016-06-04 23:58:10

abrar11

den3107 wrote:

The problem is you'd need a server for that, which costs money. Or have your PC running 24/7, which generally isn't that great.

It is a nice idea though.

If someone gets it working I may buy a vps //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

hummerz5 wrote:

or, we could use an image sharing service to simply swap photos of peoples' artwork ... considerably easier. plus, existing ee artist software would easily convert the minimap image into the actual artwork again.

I'm rather conservative, it would seem.

edit, so my entire post isn't just a slash:
I do like the idea of comparing artwork with a ranking system. Sorta suggests a community-ish spotlight. would be cool.

I know what you mean, but then again EE Artist bases stuff on design of the minimap, so it wouldn't all be copied accurately, also EE Artist doesn't have the function of creating small bits of artwork though, right? like if I wanted to make a cube or something (bad example)

#5 2016-06-05 11:23:12

den3107

Some things that you'd require:
A VPS.
     Should require at least 100 MB RAM to run the base, but this can quickly increase depending on the popularity.
A website.
     Could be run on above mentioned VPS, but what framework will be used? PHP or ASP? (Won't go in detail why one or the other).
A place to store files (the "snippets" saved by players, the whole concept of this system).
     Again could be placed on the VPS, but could also be done on an external service like Dropbox, Google Drive or One Drive.
A bot to read rooms (optionally at given dimensions).
     Easy enough to make, might be a bit harder since it has to communicate with above services, but it's nothing too hard.
A bot to reading specified saved room/snippet and placing it.
     Again should be easy enough but is a bit harder due to web communications. The idea where you can have a "toolbar" where several different blocks will each create their own snippet really isn't that hard either.

Now you could do it with just the website and file service, but PHP and ASP are server-sided, so that certainly won't work. So there HAS to be a port to javascript (which would be increasingly easy once the game has been ported to Unity) so the bot basically runs from your own browser tab.
Now I'm not sure if there's actually said port to language, but I do know there are ~2-3 people (donno who though) here that have made a bot from pure sockets (so no PlayerIO used).
It TECHNICALLY could also be made a mobile app (PlayerIO has SDK's for android and IOS), but I doubt anybody is willing to do that.

#6 2016-06-05 15:00:32

abrar11

den3107 wrote:

Some things that you'd require:
A VPS.
     Should require at least 100 MB RAM to run the base, but this can quickly increase depending on the popularity.
A website.
     Could be run on above mentioned VPS, but what framework will be used? PHP or ASP? (Won't go in detail why one or the other).
A place to store files (the "snippets" saved by players, the whole concept of this system).
     Again could be placed on the VPS, but could also be done on an external service like Dropbox, Google Drive or One Drive.
A bot to read rooms (optionally at given dimensions).
     Easy enough to make, might be a bit harder since it has to communicate with above services, but it's nothing too hard.
A bot to reading specified saved room/snippet and placing it.
     Again should be easy enough but is a bit harder due to web communications. The idea where you can have a "toolbar" where several different blocks will each create their own snippet really isn't that hard either.

Now you could do it with just the website and file service, but PHP and ASP are server-sided, so that certainly won't work. So there HAS to be a port to javascript (which would be increasingly easy once the game has been ported to Unity) so the bot basically runs from your own browser tab.
Now I'm not sure if there's actually said port to language, but I do know there are ~2-3 people (donno who though) here that have made a bot from pure sockets (so no PlayerIO used).
It TECHNICALLY could also be made a mobile app (PlayerIO has SDK's for android and IOS), but I doubt anybody is willing to do that.

You can run most of it via 1 VPS, I can get a web server with 512mb ram 1 cpu etcetera for $5 a month, run on ubuntu however you can run .exe's if required

You can get the Site to communicate with PHP using Node JS if that' what you meant.

#7 2016-06-05 15:14:15, last edited by XxAtillaxX (2016-06-05 15:17:14)

XxAtillaxX

I have been automatically saving updated worlds in a JSON format for a month or so now, including data collected from many months ago and some time in 2015.
I've also downloaded virtually every (430,000~) world in Everybody Edits on numerous occasions, on a bi-yearly basis.

I've built a synchronisation tool to read the JSON and upload the blocks to the world (additionally, I don't need to hard-code in any of the parameters for blocks).
I haven't developed a proper editor for it, however.

If you'd like to lend a hand, you can speak with Jesse & I. Hexagon is also involved, but he is currently away.

signature.png
*u stinky*

#8 2016-06-05 16:29:54

AlphaJon

XxAtillaxX wrote:

I have been automatically saving updated worlds in a JSON format for a month or so now, including data collected from many months ago and some time in 2015.
I've also downloaded virtually every (430,000~) world in Everybody Edits on numerous occasions, on a bi-yearly basis.

I've built a synchronisation tool to read the JSON and upload the blocks to the world (additionally, I don't need to hard-code in any of the parameters for blocks).

If you'd like to lend a hand, you can speak with Jesse & I. Hexagon is also involved, but he is currently away.

Sounds cool. Is it available on GitHub or something similar?

#9 2016-06-05 17:41:31

XxAtillaxX

It will be released on Github very soon; ETA <1 week.

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by:

#10 2016-06-05 19:06:24, last edited by abrar11 (2016-06-05 19:13:08)

abrar11

XxAtillaxX wrote:

I would be interested in helping however I'm not too sure I'd be a good contribution //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

#11 2016-06-05 22:50:36, last edited by den3107 (2016-06-05 22:51:03)

den3107

XxAtillaxX wrote:

For this specific project you don't really need an editor though. Just a viewer of the world and the ability to select a region (and link that to a certain block to place snippets).
I'm sure Capasha can be a helping hand in viewing the blocks and stuff.

#12 2016-06-07 17:57:17

John

I'd be willing to host it on my home server.

I don't have fiber, but it has good specs. PM me if you are interested.

PW?scale=2

#13 2016-06-07 18:04:15

XxAtillaxX

abrar11 wrote:

I would be interested in helping however I'm not too sure I'd be a good contribution //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

It would be nice to have a web developer helping out, as the original plans were to make an online archive, similar to the Wayback Machine (web.archive.org).
Furthering that, it would be most useful to have a web interface for viewing (possibly modifying) worlds; accessibility is a large, often overlooked, aspect.

signature.png
*u stinky*

#14 2016-06-08 12:47:38

AlphaJon

XxAtillaxX wrote:

It would be nice to have a web developer helping out, as the original plans were to make an online archive, similar to the Wayback Machine (web.archive.org).
Furthering that, it would be most useful to have a web interface for viewing (possibly modifying) worlds; accessibility is a large, often overlooked, aspect.

I could maybe help out for some of the web parts. I'm mainly around HTML/JS/PHP. Worlds being in JSON-encoded also makes it easier.

#15 2016-06-09 18:43:41

abrar11

XxAtillaxX wrote:
abrar11 wrote:

I think this sounds promising!

May I ask what sort of design were you looking for & idea of the site? can you do a quick terrible concept?

#16 2016-06-09 20:32:27

capasha

den3107 wrote:

Jesse and Nvd already have a working block reader. I guess they can use that.

#17 2016-06-09 20:35:24

XxAtillaxX

abrar11 wrote:
XxAtillaxX wrote:
abrar11 wrote:

I think this sounds promising!

May I ask what sort of design were you looking for & idea of the site? can you do a quick terrible concept?

XxAtillaxX wrote:

similar to the Wayback Machine (web.archive.org).

capasha wrote:
den3107 wrote:

Jesse and Nvd already have a working block reader. I guess they can use that.

It would be nice to have an online tool rather than an executable like EEditor that uses GDI+ to render everything.

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by:
XxAtillaxX1465500924605766

Board footer