Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-22 17:23:49

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Offline mode

When in offline mode, your game plays the last saved version of the level. No other players can join you, as you are playing offline. This way, you can play or create levels without worrying about lag so much. Because of this, more "heavy-duty" features could be added to improve world building. There are exceptions, however—the game may briefly have to connect to the Internet to allow certain actions such as saving, adding worlds to crews, magic, campaign rewards, liking/favoriting and world portals. Also, perhaps there could be an option not to allow players to do that in your world. Or offline gates/doors?

Everybody Edits is Fred

#2 2016-04-22 17:31:13

AmdS
Website

Re: Offline mode

I support this idea for EE offiline mode.

Could I build a level in offline mode? Like putting blocks? That would be really amazing.

#3 2016-04-22 17:33:14

Gosha

Suggested many times.
I dont think it is a good idea becuase EE is multi-player game fundamentally

You can use EEditor and upload level if you very need it //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

#4 2016-04-22 17:44:46

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Gosha wrote:

You can use EEditor and upload level if you very need it //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Simply because bots can do something doesnt mean it shouldnt be added to the game. If people are going to use bots to replicate it why not add it anyway?

Everybody Edits is Fred

#5 2016-04-22 18:35:15

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

- you can not load levels when offline to play them
- you can not save levels when offline
- you can easily hack the blocks inventory and get blocks that you dont have when offline

what about possibility to switch between online and offline in lobby or even in your world?

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#6 2016-04-22 19:54:53

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

maxi123 wrote:

Unless downloading levels to your computers were added, that wouldnt be possible to do.

- you can easily hack the blocks inventory and get blocks that you dont have when offline

When the level is being uploaded, there could be a check to see what new blocks have been created. Any blocks you dont have wouldnt be uploaded.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#7 2016-04-22 21:10:33, last edited by 0176 (2016-04-22 21:12:11)

N1KF what happened to your apostrophes
as you can see you dont need to be sophisticated all the time

Anyway this is actually a pretty good suggestion. Maybe it could be easier to port to mobile later?

#8 2016-04-22 22:51:53

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

N1KF wrote:
maxi123 wrote:

Unless downloading levels to your computers were added, that wouldnt be possible to do.

When the level is being uploaded, there could be a check to see what new blocks have been created. Any blocks you dont have wouldnt be uploaded.

how would it detect it was YOU who placed the blocks that you dont have? it would require much more data to save per block. what if the blocks you dont have were already placed here? what if someone else put them (the blocks you dont own) while in offline mode, saved the world file and then sent the file to you and then you try to upload it?
there are so many ways to potentially exploit this system just because things that in online mode run on the server will run on client in offline mode and thus can be controlled and abused by the player however they want
the amount of work to make an offline version with most or all of these exploits prevented (fixing ALL is probably impossible anyway) is just not worth the result
if you have internet issues then wait till your internet gets fixed
if you have lag then deal with it, thats what you must suffer to have online gaming experience in any game

i8SwC8p.png

#9 2016-04-22 22:54:33

Lightning Splash

The save could save locally, then when you go online it automatically updates that world

#10 2016-04-22 22:55:06

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

maxi123 wrote:

how would it detect it was YOU who placed the blocks that you dont have? it would require much more data to save per block. what if the blocks you dont have were already placed here?

The same way inspect mode works?

Everybody Edits is Fred

#11 2016-04-22 23:58:32, last edited by TaskManager (2016-04-22 23:58:49)

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

N1KF wrote:
maxi123 wrote:

how would it detect it was YOU who placed the blocks that you dont have? it would require much more data to save per block. what if the blocks you dont have were already placed here?

The same way inspect mode works?

tbh i knew you would say that
inspect mode saves data on client and not on server
you can see that because if there were blocks placed before you joined the world they will have "no data" displaying for you but they will have data displayed for those who joined before said blocks were placed
thus server still doesnt know who placed the block

i8SwC8p.png

#12 2016-04-23 00:08:01

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

maxi123 wrote:

you can see that because if there were blocks placed before you joined the world they will have "no data" displaying for you but they will have data displayed for those who joined before said blocks were placed

How about this?

When saving, your version of the world is compared to the original. Any "new" blocks are considered to be from the player, and any new blocks that the player doesnt have will be noticed by the system.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#13 2016-04-23 00:21:59

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

N1KF wrote:
maxi123 wrote:

How about this?

When saving, your version of the world is compared to the original. Any "new" blocks are considered to be from the player, and any new blocks that the player doesnt have will be noticed by the system.

yeah that would work i guess
but offline mode shouldnt allow anything but playing and editing your own worlds

i8SwC8p.png

TaskManager1461367319597799

Board footer