Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-26 07:07:04, last edited by lrussell (2016-03-26 07:17:51)

lrussell
Website

[Demo] Sending data through EE Coins

Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce the concept of transparently sending usable data through Everybody Edits coin messages. Such a system could allow for simple inter-bot communication. You could make a "secret" chat, or perhaps a client that allows for additional controls (a drawing area, for instance) and communicate it back to the controller bot.

A coin message accepts four integers, each of which holds four bytes of data. That means a message can contain a combined 16 bytes of data. That data is passed through the level and received by all other connected players. Messages can be sent at a rate of 100 per second, allowing for a data rate of 1600 bytes/second (or 1.6 KB/s).

You can download the demo here. Once logged in, you provide it with a file name. It will stream the data through EE, printing it to the console as its received. The source code is also included, you will need BotBits (pre-release) and MoreLinq from Nuget.

Demo Source Code

CoinData_2016-03-26_01-54-57.png

#2 2016-03-26 07:25:27

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Re: [Demo] Sending data through EE Coins

Heh when you said EE Coins I thought you meant another type of EE Coins

Everybody Edits is Fred

Wooted by:

#3 2016-03-26 14:58:13

Hexagon

How does this differ from Processor's FileDrop? https://github.com/Yonom/EEFileDrop

#4 2016-03-26 17:54:13

lrussell
Website

Hexagon wrote:

How does this differ from Processor's FileDrop? https://github.com/Yonom/EEFileDrop

I had the idea a long time ago. I gave processor the idea, but at that time there was only one usable integer (before blue coins or x/y sent). I felt like it was forgotten and I wanted to see if the concept was still valid so I made this.

#5 2016-03-26 18:09:14

hummerz5

Cool. I dallied in this a while back as well... but then chat was made public so I dropped it entirely.

Cool idea.

#6 2016-03-26 20:35:04

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Looked cool until I saw the console bot. =3

You could potentially do this with more than coins, and increase transfer rate by using their IDs as another data dimension. Unfortunately, the ID list is too fragmented to use the IDs corresponding to the alphabet in ASCII, as capital letters are missing 82 - 'R' - and lowercase is missing lots, so there would need to be a standard table mapping blocks to letters that everyone used.

This might be a way to improve BALs; imagine if several players had A bot that connected a guest to a world, then the guests communicated with a master bot using blocks to make some really advanced and cool games. This would open the door for game modes currently not viable because they require lots of blocks to be placed by one bot, causing the lag to detract from the fun (pokes bArena bot).

Alternatively, EE gets a new message type called "bot", which is filled with any data a bot wants to broadcast to another.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#7 2016-03-26 21:06:59

SmittyW

Tomahawk wrote:

This might be a way to improve BALs; imagine if several players had A bot that connected a guest to a world, then the guests communicated with a master bot using blocks to make some really advanced and cool games. This would open the door for game modes currently not viable because they require lots of blocks to be placed by one bot, causing the lag to detract from the fun (pokes bArena bot).

Wasn't block placing instantaneous at one point but they removed it because it could exploit infinite action blocks? Why don't they bring it back now that we have infinite blocks? Was there some other reason?

#8 2016-03-26 21:17:14

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

SmittyW. wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Wasn't block placing instantaneous at one point but they removed it because it could exploit infinite action blocks? Why don't they bring it back now that we have infinite blocks? Was there some other reason?

What if only cakes, holograms, world portals, and diamonds blocks were double-checked?

Everybody Edits is Fred

#9 2016-03-27 00:11:13

den3107

SmittyW. wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Ever heard of server load and slow clients?
Some clients already lag with regular trolling, imagine if there would be no delay.

#10 2016-03-27 00:22:40

ewoke

i used movement to send "secret" messages its a nice concept

if you can read this....good for you

#11 2016-03-28 18:40:49

TiKen

Tomahawk wrote:

Aha, we were talking about this with lrussell when I still had motivation to create a FF-style 2D RPG bot some time ago. can be pretty powerful indeed, as long as you don't stream movies =P

#12 2016-03-28 18:44:01

Kaslai
Official Caroler

Tomahawk wrote:

Do you have a problem with bots that have black windows? Are you bot racist? nub.

Wooted by: (3)

#13 2016-03-28 21:08:59, last edited by Tomahawk (2016-03-28 21:12:26)

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

TiKen wrote:

can be pretty powerful indeed, as long as you don't stream movies =P

Connect to 'PW0I' tomorrow at 12:00 GMT for Spongebob streamed HD at 20 blocks/second. ^^

Kaslai wrote:

Do you have a problem with bots that have black windows? Are you bot racist? nub.

Winforms white supremacy ftw.

I'll be starting an EE bot klan.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Tomahawk1459195739592062

Board footer