Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-07 06:41:29, last edited by OrangeCrix (2016-02-07 20:03:55)

OrangeCrix

Speedrun Leaderboards

I've requested for a speedrun.com page to be created for the game and it got approved: http://www.speedrun.com/everybodyedits

Not sure if this page will get anywhere or if it will stay relevant if e.e. somehow gets its own in-game speedrun leaderboards. I'm open for ideas/tips on what to do with it.

To do:

• Looking for moderators.

• Could use a background theme and images for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place (raw files for crown, trophy, etc?).

• Ideas for categories. Right now I've got plans to add full campaign runs and IL (individual level) runs of tiers in each campaign.

For those unaware, here's what the settings pages look like:

Hidden text

#2 2016-02-07 11:30:42

nlmdejonge

Re: Speedrun Leaderboards

For a moment I thought it was about speeddemosarchive.com, but speedrun.com ey?

> I'm open for ideas/tips on what to do with it.

Only use it as a backup, if at all. It could disappear (many (once) extremely popular websites have disappeared), change in a problematic way, if it ever gets popular it could get a scary new management team, it could become a virus or ad bomb, they could decide to throw you off their website, and so on.

> Looking for moderators.

I think as a founder you are a good candidate to start working on it. Unless it's already so popular that you need moderators.

Some general advice: if you want a serious thing, only trust people who recorded their runs. And then even if you get a video, analyse the footage thoroughly, because anyone could be a cheater. You cannot take anyone's word for anything when it comes to speedrunning. And talk to the EE staff. If they ever add a feature to (more) reliably record times - which isn't difficult at all especially when it's just displayed and not saved, you might have just put a lot of work into helping speedrun.com become more popular.

I have permanently left the game and forum.
EE is an entertaining game and I enjoyed playing it...
...but it's time for me to move on.

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2016-02-07 13:47:21, last edited by SmittyW (2016-02-07 13:47:48)

SmittyW

tbh I thought this would be a separate client that automatically recorded your time. Having to record a video myself kind of makes me lose interest and I'd rather wait until it gets added in-game.

Wooted by: (4)

#4 2016-02-07 16:36:13

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

OrangeCrix wrote:

(raw files for crown, trophy, etc?).

You can decompile the swf, then use one of dog's bots to turn them into 16x16 images.
http://capasha.com/eetools/#atp

Or, you can download all of the graphics from his site:
http://capasha.com/ee/

Discord: jawp#5123

Wooted by:

#5 2016-02-07 18:01:37

capasha

JaWapa wrote:
OrangeCrix wrote:

(raw files for crown, trophy, etc?).

You can decompile the swf, then use one of dog's bots to turn them into 16x16 images.
http://capasha.com/eetools/#atp

Or, you can download all of the graphics from his site:
http://capasha.com/ee/

I have an updated version of the tool that convert tiles to images. I added the tool into it's own dropdown.

#6 2016-02-07 18:28:08

SmittyW

Well I'm game if someone can give me a rundown of how this works. Here's some questions:

• Do I need to record a video of myself doing the speedrun and submit it to you? If so, how do I submit and what recording software should I use?

• Can I do any single campaign level to qualify?

• When does the speedrun start? Do I time myself the second I enter the level?

Wooted by:

#7 2016-02-07 19:10:29

Bobithan

This is really cool. I don't know if I'll end up participating in it though because OBS just murders my framerate in EE for some reason. If anybody knows how to fix that pls tell me. Oh and also I suck.

This is a good step forward though on showing how EE can be a REALLY good speedrunning game and maybe push to finally get ingame leaderboards for worlds //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

The leaderboard could still be useful if ingame leaderboard do become a thing though for multi-level playthroughs, like entire campaigns. Entire Fractured Fingers campaign speedruns would definitely be interesting.

aka towwl

Wooted by:

#8 2016-02-07 20:03:17

OrangeCrix

SmittyW. wrote:

Well I'm game if someone can give me a rundown of how this works. Here's some questions:

• Do I need to record a video of myself doing the speedrun and submit it to you? If so, how do I submit and what recording software should I use?

• Can I do any single campaign level to qualify?

• When does the speedrun start? Do I time myself the second I enter the level?

Firstly, if you wish to submit the time yourself, you'll require a speedrun.com account. You might be able to get away by telling a moderator your time and we'll add your time to the respective board (the name will be there, but it won't be linked to any account). I'm not sure this will be very strict, I might just allow you to submit splits and proof that you completed the level.

I might not require video evidence for times that don't claim to be super fast, obviously if the time is super fast I'll want to see evidence like a video. Showing your splits might be good too. For a single level/tier speedrun, I think I'll require there to be a split for every once and a while. For example: Every or every few minigames completed in a minigame styled world like the FF levels, have a split... For something like an adventure world, have a split at a certain benchmark in the level.
OBS is good for recording, but if you find something else that's easier to work for you and it's quality, that should be fine. Recording should be even better after the game is ported off flash. If you're taking a video, I'd prefer it the timer was included inside the video (hundredths would be even better): Tutorial Run

Yes, you can do any single campaign level and submit it once I've entered all the Individual Levels.

The speedrun will start from from your first input in the level and end when you hit the trophy. For whole campaign speedruns, I will require you to exit the level and enter the next level through whatever means (campaign list, lobby, stalk a friend, etc.). Unsure if I'll exclude the load/lobby time because that would be kind of hard to do without video evidence.

Bobithan wrote:

This is really cool. I don't know if I'll end up participating in it though because OBS just murders my framerate in EE for some reason. If anybody knows how to fix that pls tell me. Oh and also I suck.

This is a good step forward though on showing how EE can be a REALLY good speedrunning game and maybe push to finally get ingame leaderboards for worlds //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

The leaderboard could still be useful if ingame leaderboard do become a thing though for multi-level playthroughs, like entire campaigns. Entire Fractured Fingers campaign speedruns would definitely be interesting.

Yeah, a few people had inquired for the possibility of one a couple years ago and they seemed interested. Hopefully your thread will remind them of the idea.

nlmdejonge wrote:

For a moment I thought it was about speeddemosarchive.com, but speedrun.com ey?

> I'm open for ideas/tips on what to do with it.

Only use it as a backup, if at all. It could disappear (many (once) extremely popular websites have disappeared), change in a problematic way, if it ever gets popular it could get a scary new management team, it could become a virus or ad bomb, they could decide to throw you off their website, and so on.

> Looking for moderators.

I think as a founder you are a good candidate to start working on it. Unless it's already so popular that you need moderators.

Some general advice: if you want a serious thing, only trust people who recorded their runs. And then even if you get a video, analyse the footage thoroughly, because anyone could be a cheater. You cannot take anyone's word for anything when it comes to speedrunning. And talk to the EE staff. If they ever add a feature to (more) reliably record times - which isn't difficult at all especially when it's just displayed and not saved, you might have just put a lot of work into helping speedrun.com become more popular.

I don't think it'll disappear any time soon, the website has been around for quite a while and there's quite a few site moderators.
Moderators aren't only there to verify runs, it would be nice for helping with design of the page to make it purdy, too.
Like I said up top, I'm not sure this will be extremely strict. This could stand just as a place for if or until gets its own in-game leaderboards.

Wooted by:

#9 2016-02-08 01:47:05

Master1

I'd be willing to help mod it if you want. I may even do some run attempts myself once the unity update comes out ^^

nicktoot.pngnicktoot.pngnicktoot.png

#10 2016-02-08 02:54:04

nlmdejonge

Oh, you know what I just remembered? This level that I created quite some time ago. It used a 'bot' that kept track of how fast players finished it. I'm sure on the Bots and Programming board there are folks who could create a bot to keep track of finishing times. That way less tech-savvy players could partake without figuring out how to record their stuff. Maybe a PHP interface on a web page that allows players to ask the bot to join a room by entering a player name and a level id. The bot then joins and waits that room; if the player joins it stores the time, if it sees the player finish the level it stores the time, and finally it sends the time difference to a database backend. Then it displays the result on a web page using PHP.

I have permanently left the game and forum.
EE is an entertaining game and I enjoyed playing it...
...but it's time for me to move on.

#11 2016-02-08 05:42:54, last edited by Xfrogman43 (2016-02-08 05:43:26)

Xfrogman43

nlmdejonge wrote:

Oh, you know what I just remembered? This level that I created quite some time ago. It used a 'bot' that kept track of how fast players finished it. I'm sure on the Bots and Programming board there are folks who could create a bot to keep track of finishing times. That way less tech-savvy players could partake without figuring out how to record their stuff. Maybe a PHP interface on a web page that allows players to ask the bot to join a room by entering a player name and a level id. The bot then joins and waits that room; if the player joins it stores the time, if it sees the player finish the level it stores the time, and finally it sends the time difference to a database backend. Then it displays the result on a web page using PHP.

I have a bot that uses WSplit - It's a C# bot and it just presses the hotkeys for starting and stopping splits -  and it gets accurate times. Not sure why I just didn't get the time from when you started but oh well.
It connects to a world and you can enable it on trophy hit and/or coin hit to get the next split. I guess I didn't want to do splits by myself //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue. But it's only for one player and idk if I'm even gonna release it or not or even make it multi player.

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

#12 2016-02-08 16:42:05

Koya
Fabulous Member

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#13 2016-02-08 17:38:25

Michele
Formerly AntonioS300

I did a speedrun of 2 minutes and 19 seconds. I was extremely quick, you need to be quick for this. It was in Tutorial campaign.

However I do not have a video of it //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad
I'd need a bot that can record time the player took to clear a world, so who can make it? This make speedrunning easier without recording.

Idler.jpg
XOsS4ha.gif

#14 2016-02-08 18:34:40

iDC

Does the time in between levels when you have to go to the lobby and select the next level in the campaign count towards the total time?

DVNTehT.png

#15 2016-02-08 21:46:46, last edited by Master1 (2016-02-08 21:47:28)

Master1

iDC wrote:

Does the time in between levels when you have to go to the lobby and select the next level in the campaign count towards the total time?

Yeah, generally pausing and starting the timer again is frowned upon in speedruns. So it would make sense that the timer must track level changes as well.

nicktoot.pngnicktoot.pngnicktoot.png

Wooted by:

#16 2016-02-08 23:56:18

Xfrogman43

iDC wrote:

Put it in favorites and it's faster that way

#17 2016-02-09 01:08:05

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Xfrogman43 wrote:
iDC wrote:

Or use an alt account, allowing the player to nearly instantly go to the next level in the campaign.

Wooted by:

#18 2016-02-09 03:31:28

Xfrogman43

N1KF wrote:
Xfrogman43 wrote:
iDC wrote:

Or use an alt account, allowing the player to nearly instantly go to the next level in the campaign.

Yeah that would be faster and save time. good idea

#19 2016-02-09 03:58:12

hummerz5

Xfrogman43 wrote:
N1KF wrote:
Xfrogman43 wrote:
iDC wrote:

Yeah that would be faster and save time. good idea

If I actually did speedrunning, I could see that adding some lag to EE, depending on the popularity of the worlds when your'e running. So I'd argue that simply removing load time would be the most efficient
but if there's a packed level, you're going to get lag irregardless.

#20 2016-02-09 04:19:17

Xfrogman43

hummerz5 wrote:

If I actually did speedrunning, I could see that adding some lag to EE, depending on the popularity of the worlds when your'e running. So I'd argue that simply removing load time would be the most efficient
but if there's a packed level, you're going to get lag irregardless.

Yeah campaign worlds have more lag than normal worlds. I'm assuming because of all the stuff it has to store for campaigns like position and coins and switches if any.
Normal worlds should be fine tho if this thing gets going and crix does normal worlds too

#21 2016-02-09 20:25:51, last edited by ILoveBaconYUM (2016-02-09 23:02:28)

ILoveBaconYUM

I'd be interested in trying some speedruns.

What counts as cheating, though? I understand that obvious exploits would be banned but if I were to hold space for a mini in not supposed to, for example, is it cheating? How will you know?
Also, does the order I beat the levels matter? Someone may decide to try harder levels first so they can reset if they make a mistake.

#22 2016-02-10 04:09:44

Xfrogman43

ILoveBaconYUM wrote:

I'd be interested in trying some speedruns.

What counts as cheating, though? I understand that obvious exploits would be banned but if I were to hold space for a mini in not supposed to, for example, is it cheating? How will you know?
Also, does the order I beat the levels matter? Someone may decide to try harder levels first so they can reset if they make a mistake.

If you've seen any speedrun, there are glitches in most of them. There isn't really cheating unless you stop the timer for whatever reason or something else (idk what else would be cheating besides this).

#23 2016-02-10 08:12:23

ILoveBaconYUM

Xfrogman43 wrote:

If you've seen any speedrun, there are glitches in most of them. There isn't really cheating unless you stop the timer for whatever reason or something else (idk what else would be cheating besides this).

I'm concerned about exploits though, because they could be fixed later.

#24 2016-02-10 08:52:36, last edited by Xfrogman43 (2016-02-10 08:56:53)

Xfrogman43

ILoveBaconYUM wrote:
Xfrogman43 wrote:

I'm concerned about exploits though, because they could be fixed later.

Campaign worlds are usually left alone.
I'm sure the owner won't fix a world from long ago...

Also, if they do fix the exploits, then just find a new route to take

#25 2016-02-10 08:59:02

Anatoly

Add me

Slabdrill1455391618582716

Board footer