Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-29 23:19:08

Bobithan

Abigale - Sad Love Story

Read this passage to understand the context. It's not that long, trust me:

https://www.salto-youth.net/downloads/4 … bigale.pdf (warning: light sexual themes)

So yeah, rank the characters in the story from who behaved the worst to the best. For recap, the characters are:
Abigale
Tom
Sinbad
Abigale's mom
John

I don't really want to be too much of an influence on the discussion by being the first to post so I won't be giving my opinion just yet.

aka towwl

#2 2016-01-29 23:20:30, last edited by Processor (2016-01-29 23:23:24)

Processor

Re: Abigale - Sad Love Story

1. Abigale's mom

2. Sinbad

3. John

4. Abigale

5. Tom

I have never thought of programming for reputation and honor. What I have in my heart must come out. That is the reason why I code.

#3 2016-01-29 23:27:40

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

sinbad
john
tom
abigale
abigale's mom

abigale's mom didn't really do anything wrong, sinbad preyed on someone's desperation, john punched someone, tom didn't really do anything wrong (but i think we need more to what he did), abigale was just doin whatever
so

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

Wooted by:

#4 2016-01-29 23:44:57

Fradeshan

1. sinbad
2. abigale
3. john
4. mom
5. tom

needs more details

dogeman: OH GOD THIS IS WORSER THAN A MASH POTATO

#5 2016-01-29 23:49:00

Bobithan

Just sayin', it's best when you give reasoning for your choices. I guess I'll take a shot at this:

1. Sinbad - He's the true villain here, taking advantage of some girl, pretty much using sex as a currency. She was obviously desperate enough for his service and he took advantage of Abigale when she was vulnerable. Dude's a degenerate.
2. John - Why would he even hit Tom? Tom barely did anything wrong, which I'll get into later. He just basically shows up and beats up Tom because Abi told him too, just to win her over. And Tom and John are BEST FRIENDS, how could he do something like that?
3. Abigale - Even though she was pretty victimized here, I can't help but think that she could've maybe just waited for repairs along the river to happen since the flood sounds like it happened pretty recently. If she really loved Tom I don't imagine she would've tainted her "relationship" that easily. It sounds like a modern society, I'm sure another way to cross the river would turn up before long without having to go through that scumbag Sinbad. Also, though it's not explicitly mentioned in the story, it's heavily implied that Tom doesn't even love her back, and sleeping with some other guy due to impatience wouldn't really help with her winning over Tom.
4. Abigale's mom - Look, she just wanted her daughter to make her own decisions and hopefully learn a bit about life from this conundrum. I'm sure Abi is old enough to make her own decisions, else Sinbad is even worse and is a pedophile too. Abi's mom could've given her advice, but she really had no obligation to so I won't hold it against her.
5. Tom - He hardly wanted anything to do with this -- some girl comes to his house one day and says something along the lines of "I just slept with a man so I could be with you!" and he pushes her away. It's heavily implied in the text that he didn't love her back, as it's explicitly stated that Abi loves Tom but not the other way around. He has no interest in this girl and his best friend hits him for it. Poor guy.

aka towwl

#6 2016-01-30 00:16:59, last edited by Insanity (2016-01-30 16:21:37)

Insanity

1. John - Yea he's a moron, idk why he's even in the story. All he did was hit his friend because his friend got mad that his girl slept with another dude. John's the stereotypical tryhard nice guy who tries to get girls but doesn't. This nerd forgot the most important rule of all, Bros before Hoes.

2. Abigale's mom - What kind of **** mother doesn't help her own daughter, she didn't even give her any advice, which in turn led to Abigale sleeping with a random dude

3. Abigale- She acted like an impatient 12 yr old girl who needs her boytoy 24/7. Like damn girl ur not gonna die if you dont get laid every day, just wait for someone to fix the bridge. She's also incredibly stupid for telling Tom that she slept with sinbad. She could've just not told him that part, easy. She's also a total idiot for assuming Tom would love her back, especially after sleeping with a random bro

4. Tom- Abigale only slept with a random dude so that she could get to the other side to see Tom, however he had no reason to love her in the first place, so that was completely understandable behavior.

5. Sinbad - This guy is a straight legend. Perfect opportunist, he's mastered the concept of social economics. Girl asks him for a free boatride, obviously he's going to want something in return. He was smart, and offered her something that she could easily give him. Nothing wrong with this, it's business. She didn't have to take his deal, but she did. That was HER choice. At the end of the day, Sinbad wins, he got to sleep with a girl and gives her the satisfaction of getting her across to the other side. Yea, he's a douche for manipulating her, but it was a smart move.

For all you people saying Sinbad is the villain, it's all about perspective. Sinbad was BY FAR the most intelligent character in the story. His actions were clever and well thought out. His actions were the best out of any other character, because they were the most logical and had the best end result.

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.
Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?
Maverick: Because I was inverted.

Wooted by:

#7 2016-01-30 04:33:55

hummerz5

none of you took the strictly religious view on this? everyone is a-sinnin'

I say this because I'm too sheepish to actually tackle the question and give a well-thought answer.

#8 2016-01-30 04:34:35, last edited by shadowda (2016-01-30 04:36:20)

shadowda

1. Abigale's mom - a mom who does not care. personally child neglect / abuse and the topic of parents who don't care, in a bad way, fascinates me.

2. Sinba - sexual extortion.

3. Tom - what a bad guy. he should have understood. she did it for him. he should have been able to look past it, its not like normal cheating.

4. John - while it may have been implied he was going for a rebound. and why sin a guy for trying to smash, though then he would be more of a dirty guy. it is also perfectly reasonable he was trying to be a good friend and there to comfort her when they walked away together. and Tom deserved to be punched.

5. Abigale - she slept with him after all. but it was to get to the person she presumably loved.

color = #1E1E1E       

latest?cb=20150604065609

#9 2016-01-30 04:42:06

W24
Website

Sinbad
Tom
Abigale's mom
John
Abigale

yqSDpmp.png

#10 2016-01-30 06:36:08

Schlog

these five people are all equally horrible

sinbad took advantage of some girl
abigale's mom didn't even try to help
tom didn't appreciate abigale's effort to see him
john hit a guy
abigale was willing to sleep with some random guy just to cross a river she could've probably swam across

i don't think these characters thought logically before doing stupid things

#11 2016-01-30 06:55:21

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

mfw a lot of people think abigale's mother is bad

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

#12 2016-01-30 14:40:32, last edited by Insanity (2016-01-30 14:41:19)

Insanity

Zoey2070 wrote:

mfw a lot of people think abigale's mother is bad

If your daughter came up to you and said a random guy offered her a boat ride for sex, and she was actually considering it, you wouldn't advise her?

Lol her mom basically didn't care that her daughter became a lowkey hooker. She was arguably the worst character

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.

#13 2016-01-30 14:48:01, last edited by Processor (2016-01-30 14:52:58)

Processor

Bobithan wrote:

Abigale's mom - Look, she just wanted her daughter to make her own decisions and hopefully learn a bit about life from this conundrum. I'm sure Abi is old enough to make her own decisions, else Sinbad is even worse and is a pedophile too. Abi's mom could've given her advice, but she really had no obligation to so I won't hold it against her.

Look, she WENT to her mother asking for advice, because she didn't feel confident enough to make her own decisions despite her age. It's her mom and she has the moral obligation to help Abi out when she needs help / advice, instead of just backing off.

EDIT:

Insanity wrote:

Lol her mom basically didn't care that her daughter became a lowkey hooker. She was arguably the worst character

Then why isn't she ranked first in your character list?

EDIT2:

shadowda wrote:

3. Tom - what a bad guy. he should have understood. she did it for him. he should have been able to look past it, its not like normal cheating.

Insanity wrote:

Abigale only slept with a random dude so that she could get to the other side to see Tom, and after she does that he pushes her away? She obviously still loves him, and only slept with Sinbad to get to see Tom

What? Tom can't be forced to love a random girl... The story implies that Tom and Abi didn't have any past relationship and so Tom doesn't have any reason to like her lol. Abigale physically came too close to him for him to be able to push her away, so it's her fault for disrupting Tom's personal space.

I have never thought of programming for reputation and honor. What I have in my heart must come out. That is the reason why I code.

Wooted by:

#14 2016-01-30 15:17:01

XxAtillaxX

1. Sinbad (manipulation) - It is unclear whether Sinbad knew Abigale loved Tom. In either scenario, he is manipulative of the situation. If sexual favours was a proper transaction, Abigale should have offered it.
2. John (violence) - John listened to Abigale's story and then decided to pursue violence against Tom. Without context it is hard to know whether Tom knew Abigale, but that level of action would imply it.
3. Abigale (idiocy) - She should have waited for another opportunity to see Tom rather than sleeping with Sinbad. Sexual mischievousness is frowned upon, and is what most would consider slutty.
4. Abigale's Mother (neglect) - Abigale's mother neglected her daughter, enough said.
5. Tom (upset/reserved) - It is unclear in the story whether Tom actually knows Abigale and/or heard her story before pushing her away.

signature.png
*u stinky*

#15 2016-01-30 15:50:23, last edited by Hexagon (2016-01-30 15:52:34)

Hexagon

1. Abigale's Mother: her mother did not instil confidence at her age (we do not know Abigale's age; she could be 40--who knows). Since her mother did not instil confidence in her, and the author doesn't say anything about her past, she goes to her mother to ask for advice, in which she does not respond with anything useful. To Abigale this is a normal situation because if her mother is not providing advice now, it is unlikely that they provided advice in the past, so she learns through her decisions. It could be argued that Abigale's mother is neglectful, and so is raising a child who is prone to making decisions that will not benefit her in the long run, and is setting her up for failure. Since Abigale asks her mother for advice, it shows that she is not very confident and so her mother could have easily said "no" and she wouldn't have performed the transaction with Sinbad. Maybe Abigale's Mother feels emasculated because in the past she has tried and tried, but she is too stubborn to accept her advice.

2. John: whether or not he knew Abigale or not is irrelevant; he chose to physically hit Tom, without asking any questions (i.e if Abigale has hit him in the past, or has manulipated him etc...) and it is unclear whether or not Tom had a relationship with Abigale or not. John makes an uninformed decision based on very little information and so could be clumsy, and is likely to do it in the future. Because Abigale goes with John instead (the author doesn't specify if she "goes" or if she is forced to go) but Abigale might be looking for a male role model in her life, as the author did not say that she had a father, or if her father left. In this case, John is being a bad influence. We do not know John's parents, however.

3. Sinbad: Again, we do not know if Sinbad knows Abigale's situation, and we do not know what time the story was set. If the story was set many many years ago, this transaction with Abigale could have been less taboo than it has been today. By performing that transaction, it shows that Sinbad could have easily brought Abigale over the river, since that transaction doesn't have any monetary value, and so does not need to provide for himself (e.g for food.) This shows that Sinbad is manipulative, however because Abigale does not stay with him (as the rate of rejection is low; they already performed a transaction) Abigale has some idea of what a role model looks like, and does not choose everyone based on convenience.

4. Abigale: she seems to lack confidence based on poor parenting, and so her decisions are based on trial and error. The reader sympathizes with Abigale because she is brought up poorly, and it's not her fault. However, Abigale is still responsible for her decisions that she makes. In the court of law, it depends on how old Sinbad is, because the transaction could have been illegal.

5. Tom: It is unclear if Tom had a previous relationship with Abigale or not, and so pushing her away could have been one of many advances that Abigale could have performed on Tom, and Tom doesn't want any more. Since Abigale is brought up from a neglectful family, I can understand that Tom may not be understanding of Abigale's situation.

Wooted by:

#16 2016-01-30 16:13:30, last edited by Insanity (2016-01-30 16:19:26)

Insanity

Processor wrote:

EDIT:

Insanity wrote:

Then why isn't she ranked first in your character list?

"arguably"

I thought John was worse

Processor wrote:
Insanity wrote:

Abigale only slept with a random dude so that she could get to the other side to see Tom, and after she does that he pushes her away? She obviously still loves him, and only slept with Sinbad to get to see Tom

What? Tom can't be forced to love a random girl... The story implies that Tom and Abi didn't have any past relationship and so Tom doesn't have any reason to like her lol. Abigale physically came too close to him for him to be able to push her away, so it's her fault for disrupting Tom's personal space.

o i assumed they were in some sort of relationship...abigail is even dumber than I thought, I'll have to slightly revise my list

Insanity1454166810579038

Board footer