Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-17 14:38:27

Helvi

Time Trial Block, speedrunning, competition, racing against the clock

Hey there,

I wish we had some kind of "Time Trial" block, a block which notes the time between touching the starting block and the finishing block to allow people to race agains the clock or to compete with others.
The time could be shown via private message on the chat to the user touching the blocks.

"Time started", "Time stopped at xx:xx" is what I had in mind.

Cheers

Hi.

#2 2016-01-17 14:57:32, last edited by drunkbnu (2016-01-17 15:01:15)

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

Re: Time Trial Block, speedrunning, competition, racing against the clock

This is exactly what i need for my tower world. With this tool i could finally make my world so players had to get to the top of the tower on my world in 30 seconds, without having to fight with curses, server-side timed doors and gates, keys, etc., and users with lag losing before the time or winning after the time. This feature should be client-side instead, where the message saying the time has started, with the specified time, starts the timer on the client. So it would not be out-of-sync.

Wooted by:

#3 2016-01-17 15:00:57

jdude02

Yes. I love this.

#4 2016-01-17 15:27:44

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Will be good for racing but it shouldn't say "time started/ended" in private message, global chat instead. So players can't lie about their times.

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#5 2016-01-17 15:38:57

Helvi

maxi123 wrote:

Will be good for racing but it shouldn't say "time started/ended" in private message, global chat instead. So players can't lie about their times.

That can end in some serious spam.
Actually I had in mind to liven up the speedrunning of maps with this suggestion and posting a time + picture (proof) for the time should be fine.

Hi.

#6 2016-01-17 15:42:09

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

maxi123 wrote:

It can be an option set on the world settings so the message can be global or private.

Wooted by: (2)

#7 2016-01-17 16:37:18

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Helvi wrote:
maxi123 wrote:

That can end in some serious spam.

I know. But it's room owner's fault. Seriously, if the problem is caused by room owner's inability to prevent such stuff that's not a reason for the whole idea to be rejected.
Maybe prevent spam by adding something like, you have to wait X seconds after finishing timer to start another one?

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#8 2016-01-17 19:03:26

Anatoly

Helvi wrote:

Hey there,

I wish we had some kind of "Time Trial" block, a block which notes the time between touching the starting block and the finishing block to allow people to race agains the clock or to compete with others.
The time could be shown via private message on the chat to the user touching the blocks.

Cheers

The thing was created much times with bots. On one place where a team effect block for "start" one for "end" touch it to get time started the same works in many worlds to set afk/unafk
why do we need thikngs can be created with bots ;-)

#9 2016-01-17 19:14:43

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

AnatolyEE wrote:
Helvi wrote:

Hey there,

Cheers

The thing was created much times with bots. On one place where a team effect block for "start" one for "end" touch it to get time started the same works in many worlds to set afk/unafk
why do we need thikngs can be created with bots ;-)

Not everyone has the time to request or make a bot. And there is people that can't even run a bot. And this feature is semi client-side, so all activity would not depend of server because as i mentioned, lag can always ruin the progress and players can win or lose because of this.

Wooted by:

#10 2016-01-17 19:37:39

Bobithan

Not quite the same suggestion but my World Leaderboard idea is pretty similar.

And HG is right, making the timers server sided was a horrible decision for the game, since curse can't be used as a reliable timer since it has a pretty big error of like 2 seconds due to lag. Curse could actually be used reliably to this "time trial" effect if not for that. I tried making a world that had the player fall through columns of coins after beating a game to check for time, but curse is way too inaccurate for that. Lava used to be based on a client sided timer before and it worked perfectly, I really don't understand why they chose to switch it to be server sided. Just an all around terrible idea. It broke one of my worlds //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

Also that's not to say server sided timers should be done away with entirely... It could be used to double check to make sure that a user didn't cheat for their time, so if the two recorded times are too far off, the time wouldn't count.

aka towwl

Wooted by: (3)

#11 2016-01-17 19:57:58

Helvi

@Bobithan, seen your suggestion a while ago and advocate for it as well //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Hi.

#12 2016-01-17 20:36:38

AmdS
Website

Competitions in Everybody Edits would attract much more peoples, and it's reallly fun!

+1

Wooted by:

#13 2016-01-18 18:12:27

skullz17

@people who want timers to be client-sided, I think client-sided keys might be a better solution to your problem than the time trial block. In fact I don't think client-sided timer blocks would work very well for this either. All 3 blocks have different functions and would be used in different situations imo.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

skullz171453137147576514

Board footer