Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-08 05:35:13, last edited by Different55 (2016-02-29 16:07:38)

RhazzleFrazzle

Forum games rules and guidelines

So since Cyclone's old forum game rules are over 5 years old and the subforum has grown since then, I figured the rules would need to be reworked to compensate. Generally in forum games the regular forum rules aren't enough since a lot of the section would be considered spam if posted anywhere else. In this section generally you won't be warned for breaking minor rules, but don't try to use this to spam the section. Trust me, we can tell the difference between playing forum games and post count farming.

First of all, I'll account for the two types of forum games. I'll call them small and large games. Small games are ones where game rules can be summed up in 1-3 sentences and require no host, such as rate the signature above you and my hill. Large games have more complex rules to them, and require someone to host the game and process actions from players. Examples include Bobithan's coliseum games, Onjit's team attack, and my own Mafia games.

As a player, there are some guidelines to follow when playing a forum game.

For small games:
-Always always always read the OP of any game you plan to play.
-Make sure your post furthers the game. Don't mindlessly spam someone's game.
-Make sure the next poster can continue the game after you post. Don't go into vending machine and forget to insert something or post in rate the avatar above you with no avatar.

For large games:
-Always always always ALWAYS read everything the host says, especially the OP.
-Make sure you are allowed to post in the game before posting. Sometimes once a game starts it may not be taking new players or allowing spectators to post.
-Remember to stay active in the game. Nobody wants their team to be screwed over because someone forgot the game existed.
-Don't try to argue with your host. They have total control over the game, and if you don't like how they host just don't play that person's games anymore.

There are also some things to keep in mind when making a forum game.

If you want to make a small game:
-Make sure the game doesn't already exist. It's better to dig into page 19 of forum games to revive the existing version of the game than to make a new one.
-Don't make a game that encourages mindless spamming, such as count to 9999999 or post your block list. A rule of thumb is that if you can predict what people are gonna post from the start, it's not a good game to host.

For hosting a large game:
-Whether you are making a new game yourself or hosting a version of an existing game, there should be something in the OP explaining to new players how to play the game.
-Make sure you're committed to hosting the game. The only thing worse than players going inactive is the host going inactive and not progressing the game.
-It's usually in bad taste to host someone else's game without their permission, especially if you host a clone of their game while they're hosting it themselves. Always ask people if you want to host their games, or find a different game to host.
-If players have any questions about the game, you should be ready to answer. The noticeable exception is certain questions about games that revolve around players being uninformed, but for the most part you should use your own judgement to decide what questions not to answer in those games.
-Signups may be done in a separate thread from your game. Whether or not you choose to do this is up to you, however it's a good idea to put a link to signups in the OP of your game thread.

For any size game, the first post must have complete and decent instructions on how to play the game.

The last thing I should note, is what to do if people break these rules. If someone breaks a game's rules, you should never use the report button unless it also breaks a forum rule. Instead just pm the host about it and let them handle it.

#2 2016-01-08 05:40:26

!nb4
Formerly AYB

Re: Forum games rules and guidelines

I agree with these rules.

ZCK0zcQ.gif

Wooted by:

#3 2016-01-08 05:51:07

W24
Website

How does the host handle it? I've had people breaking rules in my game.

yqSDpmp.png

#4 2016-01-08 06:38:42, last edited by !nb4 (2016-01-08 06:39:08)

!nb4
Formerly AYB

was24 wrote:

How does the host handle it? I've had people breaking rules in my game.

it would be cool if the host could ban the rule breaker from the forum game with a staff's request.

ZCK0zcQ.gif

#5 2016-01-08 06:42:41

RhazzleFrazzle

Generally if someone is a problem in your game, you can kick them from it. If they still cause problems after that, get the mods involved.

#6 2016-01-08 13:05:14

Creature

Are you dividing small games from large games?

This is a false statement.

#7 2016-01-09 03:02:13

W24
Website

RhazzleFrazzle wrote:

Generally if someone is a problem in your game, you can kick them from it. If they still cause problems after that, get the mods involved.

About that, some game owners are inactive/are guests.

yqSDpmp.png

#8 2016-01-09 20:55:24, last edited by TaskManager (2016-01-12 21:42:02)

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

I think in the forum games section an author of a topic should have some moderation powers in his topic. For example he can ban people from posting in the topic, edit other's posts, lock and unlock the topic (like rhazzle does for mafia thread). It can be very abusive, thus the topic author's powers will be quite weaker than forum mod's powers:

Editing other's post will record all changes and put the responsibility for that post onto you. This will prevent author from editing swear words into someone's post to get them banned and also prevent getting players into trouble with stuff like this:
Before:

Player1 wrote:

i would want to play this game

After:

Player1 wrote:

i would want to play this game cus ur all dumb and i hate all of u
Last edited by Host (Today 08:39:08)

The author can lock the topic any time but he can only unlock it if he is the one that locked it. So if a forum mod locks the topic, the author can not unlock it.

Banning people from posting in the topic has no limitations except that you can't ban forum mods

i actually think about posting this in forum discussion as a suggestion, should i?

EDIT: i guess ill post it to separate topic in the forum discussion because no one reads forum games rules topic anyway

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by: (4)

#9 2016-10-04 18:12:46, last edited by N1KF (2017-03-10 22:10:33)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

You should consider using BBCode to make the main post fancier, considering it's a sticky topic.

Hidden text

Everybody Edits is Fred

#10 2016-10-04 18:17:17

Nebula

N1KF wrote:

You should consider using BBCode to make the main post fancier, considering it's a sticky topic.

Hidden text

2huge
Short plz

#11 2017-02-11 23:21:19

Kaleb
Formerly Kaleb123

N1KF wrote:

Hidden text

Wouldnt BBC code like be more work asopposed to what they are already using?

#12 2017-02-12 04:26:44

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Kaleb wrote:
N1KF wrote:

Hidden text

Wouldnt BBC code like be more work asopposed to what they are already using?

Yeah, it would. It looks a lot better, and a sticky topic should look decent at least in my opinion.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#13 2017-02-15 17:02:45

medeia
Banned

this seams odd

g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif
g822aD5.gif

#14 2017-09-20 17:23:41, last edited by Nebula (2017-09-20 17:24:04)

Nebula

RhazzleFrazzle wrote:

If you want to make a small game:
-Make sure the game doesn't already exist. It's better to dig into page 19 of forum games to revive the existing version of the game than to make a new one.
-Don't make a game that encourages mindless spamming, such as count to 9999999 or post your block list. A rule of thumb is that if you can predict what people are gonna post from the start, it's not a good game to host.

YES, we are now done.

x5cuJlF.png

#15 2017-09-20 17:55:07

Anatoly

RhazzleFrazzle wrote:

-Make sure the game doesn't already exist.

Mafia.

#16 2018-12-08 12:04:44, last edited by Nebula (2018-12-08 12:05:09)

Nebula

huge

#17 2018-12-08 13:13:54

peace

i agree an ddisagree on what you want to say yes he does break the rule but no he also actulay doesnt as mafia is somehting other when a maffia is ifnished htegame is finished and gets closed and a new maffia can take place if someone wants

peace.png

thanks hg for making this much better and ty for my avatar aswell

peace1544271234734456

Board footer