Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-25 00:35:51, last edited by hummerz5 (2015-12-25 00:36:23)

hummerz5

Saving Bandwidth

Would the forum save bandwidth if we cut out some extra stuff... say...
db1itA0.png that?

just thinking.
Also, that forum dump thing.
Also, I'm making this script that queues posts so I don't have to wait for that pesky "30 seconds until next post" thing. How does the forum decide where to put me after I post? IS it like header("Location: fancyURL?pid=myPID") because ajax won't tell me where we're going, it'll only give me what we got, and firefox won't let me give me what I got from jquery.

finally, the example youtube tag... I was hoping it would go here

#2 2015-12-25 07:01:19

Different55
Forum Admin

Re: Saving Bandwidth

@bandwidth yeah probably, but readability would suffer, which most of the time doesn't matter but at least at the moment I can't think of an easy way to turn it off and on when needed. Ofc I say that then immediately think of a way to do it, but whatever. If we're looking to save bandwidth I think gzipping everything would save a lot more, but the forums aren't terribly heavyweight to begin with.

@script or you could just ask for the limit to be lowered. And yeah, it sends a location header iirc.

@YouTube where does it go now? I'm on my phone and have been/will be all day for reasons.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#3 2015-12-25 14:50:38

AlphaJon

output = replace("\n\r","",output);

Problem solved, but is it necessary? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#4 2015-12-25 16:20:07

hummerz5

Jonathan1003 wrote:
output = replace("\n\r","",output);

Problem solved, but is it necessary? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Well, it's also tabs, and extra whitespace... methinks different was on the right track with gzipping... maybe.

Different55 wrote:

@bandwidth yeah probably, but readability would suffer, which most of the time doesn't matter but at least at the moment I can't think of an easy way to turn it off and on when needed. Ofc I say that then immediately think of a way to do it, but whatever. If we're looking to save bandwidth I think gzipping everything would save a lot more, but the forums aren't terribly heavyweight to begin with.

@script or you could just ask for the limit to be lowered. And yeah, it sends a location header iirc.

@YouTube where does it go now? I'm on my phone and have been/will be all day for reasons.

Yeah. If I wanted to see the forums, I'd then have to get a program to make it all pretty again. But if it's worth it, hey.
That's true. But that'd defeat the purpose of it altogether after too long (I imagine)
I think it goes to "test video" something or other.

hummerz51451056807570389

Board footer