Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-10 23:03:35

Nou

The Future of Everybody Edits

The future of Everybody Edits

m5u9yNC.png

Since the change of staff in February, the game has seen significant change. A new face, a new direction, a new vision, and therefore also a new future. More significant changes are ahead of us and I would like to give you guys a heads up on these major things to come.

The game's ownership

NFVZYeb.png

Technically, this is old news, but I never officially mentioned it. A few months back, the game's ownership was transferred to me (Nou). I was already leading the team at the time and transferring it only made the administrative side of everything a lot easier. What does this mean for the future of the game? Not much. It won't affect the game more than it already has. It's only a little change on some pieces of paper. It has been in my hands for a while already, and I will continue to keep working like I have been, NVD stays admin like he has been. So even though it doesn't necessarily affect the future of the game from this point on, it has been affecting it since the transfer last August and needed to be mentioned.

Builders Club

JoLmxZW.png

Builders Club has been quite a controversial subject. It is often seen as being there purely to make money, while severely restricting creativity. While there is nothing inherently wrong with trying to make money when running a business (yes, as much as we love the game, it's still a business), if it affects the core of the game, something needs to change.

The game experienced a great amount of freedom when the duplicating glitch was around and many great levels were made as a result. We want this to happen again, but then without a glitch.

Therefore, we are getting rid of the Builders Club. We have wanted this for a long time, but a lot of careful planning was required and now is the right time.

This means that, in the future (planning for January 2016), every block pack will be a single-purchase infinite-use item. In other words, buying one portal or switch will allow you to add as many of them to your worlds as you can. This also means you can use them in worlds owned by others!

Gold Membership.
With Builders Club going, it will be replaced by Gold Membership. Gold Membership is a subscription you can choose to purchase like Builders Club, but with a different set of features. I'm not going to reveal the graphics themselves just yet, but I can tell you what we currently have looks very good!

What does the Gold Membership grant you?

• Exclusive gold smileys
A set of smileys only GM users can use, with sleek, gold-themed designs.

• Gold smiley border
Show off a special gold border around all the smileys you own! Can be turned on/off.

• Exclusive, animated aura
A whole new animation type with a special gold glow!

• Exclusive set of Gold blocks
For your and your crew's worlds only: a set of exclusive gold-themed blocks and backgrounds, as well a gold sign.

• Exclusive gold faceplate for your crew
Can only be purchased by GM users and must be in the crew to be able to select this.

• Lobby skin
An embroidered version of the lobby for that exclusive look!

• Our gratitude
Purchasing a Gold Membership is showing your support the for game. "Supporting the game" is something you hear a lot, but what does that even mean? It means that you show you like what we do and help us purchase new software, hardware, licensing, and even food. That way, you help us being able to develop the game through materialistic means, but also by keeping us motivated.

• More
We may expand the range of what GM has to offer over the course of time or change a few other things, suggestions are welcome!

Of course all of this raises a few questions, and I will try to answer them all. If you have more questions, make sure to ask them!

• I am a Builders Club member and have a few months left. What happens to my Builders Club membership?
It will automatically be converted in a Gold Membership.

• What happens to all the energy I spent in the stackable items?
Nothing. Turning the items into infinite uses should be seen as a positive change, not an opportunity for refunds/compensation.

• Will the price of stackable items change?
Yes, the prices of stackable items will have to increase a bit to compensate for the change to a one-time purchase. If you already own them this of course won't affect you.

• What happens to BC doors/gates?
They will be replaced with GM doors/gates.

• When is this going to happen?
It is currently in the planning for January 2016, but it could be later.

• I bought Builders Club so I could get all blocks in 1 go, is there another way?
Yes, there will be! One major problem users were having with BC is the recurring payments; they have often indicated to be willing to do a one-time purchase. Therefore, we will offer two complete packs (price to be determined, expect around $30 each):

• Ultimate Block Pack
Gain all existing blocks (except Diamond). New ones will still have to be purchased. This means that if you purchase an Ultimate Block Pack and new blocks are released the next week, you will have to purchase the new blocks the regular way. The new blocks will then become part of "all existing blocks", meaning users purchasing the Ultimate Block Pack after the new blocks are ingame also receive those. The same principle applies to the other two packs:

• Ultimate Smiley Pack
Gain all existing smileys (except Big Spender, contest-exclusive smileys, and Superman) . New ones will still have to be purchased.

• Ultimate Aura Pack
Get all existing auras (except the moderator/admin-exclusive ones). New ones will still have to be purchased. We will be introducing a new system for auras in the future that will make buying this pack very appealing!

To Unity and beyond

RS1tPBF.png

Currently, Everybody Edits runs on Flash, but Flash is slowly dying. It's losing support, will be updated less and less, will become less secure, and in general, Flash is a very inefficient engine. Therefore, we are porting the game to Unity. We have already started and it looks very promising thus far. The client runs a lot smoother, so no more lag!

Why Unity and not HTML5? The major advantage of Unity is that it's a cross-platform engine. In other words, you will be able to play the game on your phones and tablets! Everybody Edits will still be available on the main website as it is now. We are aware of the concerns about the Unity Web Player being inefficient and it no longer being supported by Google Chrome, but we will be using the WebGL player for the website, which works a lot better. Essentially, Unity compiles C# into javascript, meaning we will have both html5 and Unity without the need for a runtime. I hope you trust we can do this properly and that it puts your concerns to rest.

In addition, we will also offer a stand-alone client to play on your desktop, plus we will look into getting this client on Steam to open it up to a whole new market and get in a great amount of new players.

TO ITERATE: THE GAME WILL RUN AS HTML5 ON WEBSITES. THIS MEANS THAT YOU WILL NOT BE AFFECTED, DO NOT NEED TO INSTALL ANYTHING, AND YOU CAN KEEP PLAYING IN ALL BROWSERS LIKE NORMAL. STOP PANICKING. YOU CAN CHOOSE TO USE THE STANDALONE UNITY CLIENT, BUT DON'T HAVE TO!

The when is still unknown; it's hard to estimate how long the porting will take. It has been low priority so far because we wanted to focus on adding new content to the game first, but from January onwards the Unity development will be kicked into 2nd gear.

Other

We will keep adding new content to the game and there is still a LOT of awesome stuff to come! We will also keep working on other things in the background as well, such as extra payment options etc. Stay tuned!

I'm lazy and I want the short version.

No u.

#2 2015-11-10 23:08:27

CatoniC
Formerly Elizabeth53999

Re: The Future of Everybody Edits

Nou wrote:
I'm lazy and I want the short version.

I only read this part

trump's forehead is brighter than my whole future
if i had one

Wooted by: (3)

#3 2015-11-10 23:11:04

Different55
Forum Admin

Nou wrote:

• The game will be ported to Unity

I nominate this for best update 201whenever.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#4 2015-11-10 23:11:37

Schlog

Well, I didn't expect to read a big topic like this, but this is all still awesome to hear, nonetheless. Good game, Nou.

other crap

Wooted by: (4)

#5 2015-11-10 23:12:20, last edited by Zoey2070 (2015-11-10 23:14:59)

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

obligatory reminder that unity is still cancer edit: but less cancer than flassh i guess

but otherwise yeah i guess the other stuff is cool

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

#6 2015-11-10 23:14:56

AmdS
Website

This makes me so ansious.

Love to see how much awesome the EE Staff is. Every update I call "best update".

Thanks for making the game looking better and better.

#7 2015-11-10 23:15:20

CatoniC
Formerly Elizabeth53999

After I told my friend about it:
W6QO4rv.png

trump's forehead is brighter than my whole future
if i had one

#8 2015-11-10 23:18:30

Processor

A bit more on the unity port:

- C# code will be converted into asm.js
- This essentially means that we will be using "HTML5" (wooo buzzwords!)
- You will need to download a ~3mb .js file as the unity runtime
- No installation needed
- Javascript isn't any faster than flash, but
- As we get a much needed rewrite of the game, we are able to optimize a lot of stuff
- The code base becomes very portable, allowing us to target new groups of players

I have never thought of programming for reputation and honor. What I have in my heart must come out. That is the reason why I code.

#9 2015-11-10 23:19:27

Evilbunny

What are we supposed to spend energy on then? Do you expect us to just keep buying worlds?
I'm excited for this change, but I hope there will be something new to spend energy on.

Evilbunny (in cursive)

#10 2015-11-10 23:19:38

Nico1a5

#11 2015-11-10 23:20:40

Nou

Nico1a5 wrote:

I'd like to refer you to this post: http://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewto … 68#p555568

No u.

#12 2015-11-10 23:21:23

Krosis
Formerly Arkonagames
Website

the only things i didn't like was the old owner-only items be used on all worlds by all players with edit, and the some parts of the gold membership, i think changing the lobby, adding too many gold items is too much thing, and may look ugly

Krosis.gif

Wooted by:

#13 2015-11-10 23:23:16

Pingohits
Banned

giphy.gif

791mAP8.png

Wooted by: (5)

#14 2015-11-10 23:23:58

RavaTroll

Zoey2070 wrote:

obligatory reminder that unity is still cancer

why ?

SNTDcGF.png Trolls be in da place, mon ! SNTDcGF.png

#15 2015-11-10 23:25:21

Creature

I can't use Unity in this computer, can there have another way?

This is a false statement.

#16 2015-11-10 23:25:38

Bobithan

It would be hard for me to put into words how awesome this all sounds for me since this is basically everything I wanted for the game to grow. I am extremely excited.

Wooted by:

#17 2015-11-10 23:26:03

Schlog

Arkonagames wrote:

the only things i didn't like was the old owner-only items be used on all worlds by all players with edit, and the some parts of the gold membership, i think changing the lobby, adding too many gold items is too much thing, and may look ugly

I agree on the gold membership part. When you do add gold membership, try not to add an excessively large amount of features to it, since that's where a lot of other games screwed up. Last thing we need is another game that you have to pay to hit the arrow keys.

Wooted by: (4)

#18 2015-11-10 23:26:54

Br0k3n

unity is like ebola for me i hate it so much but w/e this is pretty cool

?type=online&name=br0k3n ?type=lastlogin&name=br0k3n ?type=loginstreak&name=br0k3n

76561198080960604.png

#19 2015-11-10 23:27:52, last edited by shadowda (2015-11-10 23:33:48)

shadowda

wow. 
my first question. what will the GM do to betas.

Also

Nou wrote:

We will keep adding new content to the game and there is still a LOT of awesome stuff to come!

does this mean you will start to try and add the actual good ideas from the forum to ee or naw.

Hidden text

color = #1E1E1E       

latest?cb=20150604065609

Wooted by:

#20 2015-11-10 23:29:10, last edited by Nou (2015-11-10 23:31:30)

Nou

Creature wrote:

Yes, just on the website like you normally do.

MLGNinja wrote:
Arkonagames wrote:

I agree on the gold membership part. When you do add gold membership, try not to add an excessively large amount of features to it, since that's where a lot of other games screwed up. Last thing we need is another game that you have to pay to hit the arrow keys.

Every part of the gold membership is cosmetic, don't worry.

Br0k3n wrote:

unity is like ebola for me i hate it so much but w/e this is pretty cool

Any reasons why? Or are you you jumping on the bandwagon with a few others?

shadowda wrote:

wow. 
my first question. what will the GM do to betas.

Also

Nou wrote:

We will keep adding new content to the game and there is still a LOT of awesome stuff to come!

does this mean you will start to try and add the actual good ideas from the forum to ee or naw.

Hidden text

GM and beta are two separate entities. So nothing

Keep posting stuff on the forum of course, we really do read stuff. While the planning is pretty full for the coming few months, it can be thrown in the queue for later.

The 0% was just being sarcastic, we've added plenty of stuff suggested on the forum.

No u.

Wooted by:

#21 2015-11-10 23:29:51

Processor

Creature wrote:

Unity won't be required to run the game on the website, only if you want to run it on the desktop. See my post: http://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewto … 84#p557684

I have never thought of programming for reputation and honor. What I have in my heart must come out. That is the reason why I code.

#22 2015-11-10 23:33:20

Anak

Nou wrote:
MLGNinja wrote:
Arkonagames wrote:

Every part of the gold membership is cosmetic, don't worry.

GM doors/gates aren't really cosmetic

Wooted by: (2)

#23 2015-11-10 23:35:13

Schlog

Alright, last question: Is GM going to be payable using gems?

#24 2015-11-10 23:36:33, last edited by Processor (2015-11-10 23:36:55)

Processor

Anak wrote:

The reasons they still exist are:

1. to compensate existing builders club users who paid to get blocks with these functionality
2. they aren't overused / abused; most people don't care about them

MLGNinja wrote:

Alright, last question: Is GM going to be payable using gems?

Sure.

#25 2015-11-10 23:37:16, last edited by Anak (2015-11-10 23:37:35)

Anak

Processor wrote:
Anak wrote:

The reasons they still exist are:

1. to compensate existing builders club users who paid to get blocks with these functionality
2. they aren't overused / abused; most people don't care about them

I mean, I get that. Why were they introduced in the first place though?

rgl321467417981610840

Board footer