Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-03 00:57:09

OINX

coin door/gate extension

got no pics yet, but here is what i imagine:
I explain it for the coin door (for the gate it is just the other way around):

- you can input a number, just like before, but you can also add multiple input windows by clicking on a "+" somewhere near that one original input window.
- this means you can input more numbers, like: 5, 10, 13, 16, 19 in one coind door (or gate)
- only condition: the following numbers have to be higher, than the one before (5 < 10 < 13.....)

now here comes the function for this door:
- if you had just typed 5, the coin door just opens at 5 coins
- but in this case (with 5, 10, 13, 16, 19 ) the door turns at 5 coins into a coin gate, which is also open(transparent).
With 10 coins it turn into a coin door, which is closed and shows, that you need 3 more coins for it to open, since you need 13 coins for the next change.
with 13 coins it turns into a gate, which is open, just like a door which would have opened...
with 16 coins you have a closed door
with 19 coins you have NOT an opened gate this time, because 19 is the last input. So with 19 coins you have an opened coin door.

This is useful, if you have used for example a gate, that closed with 1 coin so the player could reach something(a coin)
and with having that coin you want the bottom (the closed gate) to be gone/open again. So with this feature you could have typed into the gate >0 coins to close< and >1 to open again<. So the inputs are 0, 1 in two seperate input windows for just one block.

the input windows should be highlighted differently, because it can be hard to distinguish between which input is for the closed or opened state of the block, when you have activated many additional input windows and are looking at the numbers in the middle of a long row or column(scrollable) of input windows with numbers in it.

that way new dynamic levels can be made, where you can literally "program" what kind of closed or open coin block you want to have at any time of the coin progress.

(  ° ,(oo)° ) oink oink

#2 2015-11-03 13:39:54

skullz17

Re: coin door/gate extension

Never thought of that, that's a pretty cool idea.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

Wooted by:

#3 2015-11-03 15:45:10

some woman

i think this was already suggested two or three years ago, still a good idea

10 years and still awkward. Keep it up, baby!

#4 2015-11-03 19:38:44

KingFudge

So, basically an easier way of making a purple switch system?

#5 2015-11-03 19:47:22

Different55
Forum Admin

KingFudge wrote:

So, basically an easier way of making a purple switch system?

To do what the first post describes with switches you'd need tons of coin doors and switches spread out over a largish area to do the work of just one of these blocks.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by:

#6 2015-11-03 20:53:21

madiik

Amazing. This will probably change a lot of inventory-based levels.

shh i have returned

#7 2015-11-03 21:04:39

Krosis
Formerly Arkonagames
Website

madiik wrote:

the levels with coin doors made before will not be broken, this idea is an optional setting, not every coindoor will have this

Krosis.gif

#8 2015-11-03 21:53:34

skullz17

Arkonagames wrote:
madiik wrote:

the levels with coin doors made before will not be broken, this idea is an optional setting, not every coindoor will have this

I think they meant it will change the way that people make them in the future.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

Wooted by: (3)

#9 2015-11-04 09:33:16

nlmdejonge

Am I the only person who had to re-read the first post several times to understand exactly what was being suggested?

Anyway, this sounds complicated to add to the game and a single block doesn't have enough space to display all those numbers.

Also, you can already do this with just coin doors/gates.
For "5, 10, 13, 16, 19" (open at 5, close at 10, open at 13, close at 16, open at 19) you'd need just five coin doors/gates.
Just add three passages towards the area:
1. 5 coins door, 10 coins gate
2. 13 coins door, 16 coins gate
3. 19 coins door
This means, when you have...
- 5 coins you can enter passage 1,
- 10 coins all passages are blocked,
- 13 coins you can enter passage 2,
- 16 coins all passages are blocked, and
- 19 coins you can enter passage 3.

I have permanently left the game and forum.
EE is an entertaining game and I enjoyed playing it...
...but it's time for me to move on.

#10 2015-11-04 12:12:31

skullz17

nlmdejonge wrote:

Am I the only person who had to re-read the first post several times to understand exactly what was being suggested?

Anyway, this sounds complicated to add to the game and a single block doesn't have enough space to display all those numbers.

Also, you can already do this with just coin doors/gates.
For "5, 10, 13, 16, 19" (open at 5, close at 10, open at 13, close at 16, open at 19) you'd need just five coin doors/gates.
Just add three passages towards the area:
1. 5 coins door, 10 coins gate
2. 13 coins door, 16 coins gate
3. 19 coins door
This means, when you have...
- 5 coins you can enter passage 1,
- 10 coins all passages are blocked,
- 13 coins you can enter passage 2,
- 16 coins all passages are blocked, and
- 19 coins you can enter passage 3.

If all passages are blocked when you get 10 coins, how will you get through passage 2 and 3? I suppose you meant only passage 1 would be blocked. But this isn't just for passages, you can use them for platforms too. And the space for numbers is not an issue, it would only show one number at a time (the number of coins needed to change the door/gate's state).

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

Wooted by:

#11 2015-11-04 15:49:00

nlmdejonge

skullz17 wrote:

If all passages are blocked when you get 10 coins, how will you get through passage 2 and 3?

An image should make it easier to understand what I mean.

NfO8LaZ.png
(image mirror)

It's just 1 passage/corridor to the next section, but it uses a coin door/gate system to allow access to and block the player.

Wooted by: (2)

#12 2015-11-04 16:37:26

skullz17

^ I understood, hence

skullz17 wrote:

I suppose you meant only passage 1 would be blocked.

in the picture, the coin gate requiring 10 coins only blocks passage 1.

But like I said, it's not just for blocking a passage, you can also use them as actual platforms. This method won't always apply in every situation. The suggestion just adds a bit more functionality to coin doors/gates which is useful.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#13 2015-11-04 18:21:44

OINX

Here is the explanation in pics, so even the last person would understand, that you cannot improvise with other blocks. It all happens with just one coin door at the beginning.
(This was actually built in a low gravity world, so there is no guarantee the minis would work out like i planned here, but this is not the issue anyway.)

xfbe8JC.png

(  ° ,(oo)° ) oink oink

Wooted by:

#14 2015-11-05 08:02:41

nlmdejonge

I understood what you have in mind, but I think it's too complex.
One of the nice things about EE is that people can create complex things with simple blocks.
The block you have in mind is trying to do too much.
I also don't see it being used much, expect in exceptional cases.
It seems difficult to implement for the developers, and players can't see at a glance what the door does.
If the game is really missing a way to do what you want, I believe a different, easier solution should be available.
What if, for example, the game would introduce a checkpoint-like block that would take away coins from your total count?
You could then open at 1 coin, take away a coin so the door closes, have 1 coin in the next section to open it again, etc.
Then everything keeps doing just one job. Just by looking at the screenshot, we could then playtest the level in our minds.

#15 2015-11-05 12:08:27, last edited by OINX (2015-11-05 12:09:26)

OINX

nlmdejonge wrote:

What if, for example, the game would introduce a checkpoint-like block that would take away coins from your total count?
You could then open at 1 coin, take away a coin so the door closes, have 1 coin in the next section to open it again, etc.
Then everything keeps doing just one job. Just by looking at the screenshot, we could then playtest the level in our minds.

that would require putting an extra coin resetter which requires space
and your coin door/gate always needs the same amount of coins to function.
These are just 2 negative aspects I found.

Where that extension does not affect the old functionality. If people can create great things with easy blocks, what do you think will be possible with complex blocks like this. New concepts, that you can not imagine yet. You could have a level, that is rebuilding itself just through the progress.
It does not even sound complicated to program from my perspective, who just knows some very low basics.

To you it maybe sounds like a "nice to have" extra, which is not worth the effort, but this is the point where you must be mistaken.

(  ° ,(oo)° ) oink oink

OINX1446721707555541

Board footer